Print Server Port Numbers? - SCO

This is a discussion on Print Server Port Numbers? - SCO ; Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for netcat printing. Thanks, --Ray...

  1. Print Server Port Numbers?

    Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server
    uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for
    netcat printing.
    Thanks,
    --Ray

  2. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    On Mon, Sep 15, 2008, RWP wrote:
    >Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server
    >uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for
    >netcat printing.

    I'm not familiar with that device, but I would try 9100, 9101,
    and 9102, the HP JetDirect ports as there are pretty common.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    ....government has nothing to give to anybody that it doesn't first take
    from somebody else. In other workds, all its relief and subsidy schemes
    are merely ways of robbing Peter to support Paul -- Henry Hazlitt

  3. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Mon, Sep 15, 2008, RWP wrote:
    >> Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server
    >> uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for
    >> netcat printing.

    > I'm not familiar with that device, but I would try 9100, 9101,
    > and 9102, the HP JetDirect ports as there are pretty common.

    I've not tried it but I assume you could use a port scanner such as nmap
    from a nearby Windows or Linux PC. Targeting just the print server of
    course.

    --
    RGB

  4. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    >> On Mon, Sep 15, 2008, RWP wrote:
    >>> Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server
    >>> uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for
    >>> netcat printing.

    Why do you assume there even IS any raw tcp feature?

    The dlink web site and some user reviews on shopping site both imply that it
    supports LPD and neither mentions raw tcp on any port nor uses the term
    jetdirect anywhere.

    Based on the href="ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Printserver/dp300U/QIG/DP300U_QIG_100.zip">documentation
    I'd just use LPD.
    And from that same document, apparently you should point a browser at the
    devices ip and go to the lpr setup page to find out (or define your own) the
    port names to use as lpd/lpr queue names.

    IE: for parallel port 1, it might be
    echo this is a test |rlpr -P PS-1123D6-P1@192.168.0.20

    You can use the native lpr support in sco, except you lose the use of
    printer interface scripts then, unless you set up dummy loopback or
    lp-wrapper printers as described in a few articles on pcunix.com

    Personally I only ever use this:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpnc
    and this with it.
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rlpr

    The first provides a convenient way to use netcat and rlpr, and includes
    netcat already, in an out of the way place thet the included printer model
    script expects, but which won't clobber or interfer with any other netcat
    binary you may already have.

    The second adds rlpr as a seperate package that the first is already
    prepared to use.

    Basically just unpack the two tars, create printer(s) in scoadmin using
    device /dev/null and model Net, and edit a line in /etc/printers where the
    first field is the same as the name of the Net printer.

    In your case it would look like:
    If the printer is named "accounting", the DP300U's IP is 192.160.0.20, and
    the printer is on parallel 1

    accounting:192.168.0.20:PS-1123D6-P1:rlpr:HPLaserJet:comments...

    comments should be info about printer model, print server model, physical
    port, mac address, etc...

    You'll probably need to mark the model scripts executable before the Net
    model will work, since it works by just running one of the other model
    scripts in-place instead of by having you copy and edit it.

    chmod 755 /usr/spool/lp/model/*

    You may also want to mark the rlpr binary suid so that is has permission to
    access priviledged tcp ports.
    chmod +s /usr/local/bin/rlpr

    The advantage here is that, unlike using the native lpr support, the
    resulting printer is just like an ordinary local printer.
    You get the use of printer interface scripts just like usual, any printer
    interface script, not just one you hand-edit to insert netcat functionality,
    and you get it without having to set up two printers in the OS for every
    real printer. (an lpr printer which can't use an interface script, and a
    wrapper lp-to-lp printer that provides the interface script) You never copy
    or edit any scripts. You just define a printer in scoadmin and edit or
    create a line in a config file. Also, thereafter, when that printer changes
    ip or connection type or even interface script (model) , you just edit the
    config line and the change takes effect with the very next print job, no
    restarting anything or even going into scoadmin.

  5. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    Brian K. White wrote:

    > Why do you assume there even IS any raw tcp feature?
    >
    > The dlink web site and some user reviews on shopping site both imply that it
    > supports LPD and neither mentions raw tcp on any port nor uses the term
    > jetdirect anywhere.

    Agreed, however, this turned up in a search:

    http://aplawrence.com/Jeffl/portnumbers.html

    The comments at the bottom mention D-Link multi-port print servers and
    ports 9100, 9101, and 9102.

  6. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    >> Why do you assume there even IS any raw tcp feature?
    >>
    >> The dlink web site and some user reviews on shopping site both imply that
    >> it
    >> supports LPD and neither mentions raw tcp on any port nor uses the term
    >> jetdirect anywhere.

    > Agreed, however, this turned up in a search:
    >
    > http://aplawrence.com/Jeffl/portnumbers.html
    >
    > The comments at the bottom mention D-Link multi-port print servers and
    > ports 9100, 9101, and 9102.

    Good find, however, features that exist but aren't advertized, even deep in
    the fine print, are also just about garanteed to be almost untested.

    If it works, fine, if it works but is flakey or locks up or fails in any
    other way 5 times a day, or worse 5 times a month (because then it takes a
    lot longer to figure out), oh well you're using a feature no one promised or
    even implied would work.

    We should try to compile some more columns on a table like that which
    provides success/fail reports from real users in decently heavy production
    environments. Not merely that the feature exists, but that printing x pages
    per day from x number of users and it never needed to be power-cycled. per
    protocol and per firmware and/or revision. The cheap units often may be ok
    reliable using netbios and/or lpd, but lock up several times a
    day/week/month using netcat. Whatever protocol the windows install
    directions for a given unit describes, _that_ is the only protocol that gets
    99% of the testing and firmware fixes, which may be as little as netbios and
    nothing else even if it does have appletalk, lpd, raw tcp etc.

    I don't even want to think what a $45 linsys/netgear ps101 cost a few
    different customers where some other genius (not me or anyone in my company)
    put them into critical positions.

  7. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    Warren,
    Many thanks.

    --Ray Petkus

    On 16 Sep 2008 02:38:33 GMT, Warren Block wrote:

    >> Why do you assume there even IS any raw tcp feature?
    >>
    >> The dlink web site and some user reviews on shopping site both imply that it
    >> supports LPD and neither mentions raw tcp on any port nor uses the term
    >> jetdirect anywhere.

    >Agreed, however, this turned up in a search:
    >
    >http://aplawrence.com/Jeffl/portnumbers.html
    >
    >The comments at the bottom mention D-Link multi-port print servers and
    >ports 9100, 9101, and 9102.

  8. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    Brian K. White wrote:
    > From: "Warren Block"
    >>> Why do you assume there even IS any raw tcp feature?
    >>>
    >>> The dlink web site and some user reviews on shopping site both imply
    >>> that it supports LPD and neither mentions raw tcp on any port nor
    >>> uses the term jetdirect anywhere.

    >> Agreed, however, this turned up in a search:
    >>
    >> http://aplawrence.com/Jeffl/portnumbers.html
    >>
    >> The comments at the bottom mention D-Link multi-port print servers and
    >> ports 9100, 9101, and 9102.

    > Good find, however, features that exist but aren't advertized, even deep in
    > the fine print, are also just about garanteed to be almost untested.

    Absolutely. The D-Link print servers don't appear to be very
    industrial. I couldn't find even a mention of port 9100 printing at the
    D-Link web site.

    > We should try to compile some more columns on a table like that which
    > provides success/fail reports from real users in decently heavy production
    > environments. Not merely that the feature exists, but that printing x pages
    > per day from x number of users and it never needed to be power-cycled. per
    > protocol and per firmware and/or revision.

    That would be nice; might go well at openprinting.org. Unfortunately,
    the people who have heavy-duty environments and the ability to test
    aren't usually going to have the light-duty print servers, and vice
    versa.

    The situation could be worse. While JetDirects are overpriced, at least
    they've created a pretty capable defacto standard.

  9. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    Have you tried to access the setup section of the print server?

    On the next version it is a matter of browser access to the ip address
    and gives the opportunity to change a good bit of stuff in the
    innards. I looked at a 301p and saw 9100 there. Access may not be
    available on your 300U but it might be worth a try.

  10. Re: Print Server Port Numbers?

    On Mon, 15 Sep 2008 04:53:16 GMT, pet7447info@sbcglobal.net (RWP)
    wrote:

    >Does anyone know what port number(s) D-Link's DP-300U print server
    >uses to print on each of it's three pirnter ports? I need them for
    >netcat printing.

    Not all Dlink print servers are identical. Kinda looks like it
    supports Appletalk, NETBEUI, and LPR/LPD printing. No HP emulation.
    See:

    No port numbers anywhere in sight, but the usual LPR port names.
    No clue what a "PJL" is. I'm too lazy to RTFM. The knowledge base is
    kinda vague, but the OS/X 10.3 install (it's Unix under the the GUI)
    indicates to use LPR/LPD. The DOS install also mumbles about
    downloading an LPR client from the Dlink ftp server.

    Looks like ftp printing will work:

    ftp 192.168.0.10
    login: any_name
    passwd: no_passwd