vsi-fax newbie Q - SCO

This is a discussion on vsi-fax newbie Q - SCO ; Let me 1st start this by saying I am not the normal Unix guy around here. We have an outside package system that runs Unix. We have VSI- Fax on this system to email and fax out. We have several ...

  1. vsi-fax newbie Q

    Let me 1st start this by saying I am not the normal Unix guy around
    here. We have an outside package system that runs Unix. We have VSI-
    Fax on this system to email and fax out.

    We have several users with different domain names.
    i.e. user1@a-domain.com and user1@b-domain.com
    Now at some point last month something happened and now all the users
    at b-domain.com had the domain on them get switched.

    So for example user1@b-domain.com now sends out as user1@a-domain.com
    BUT I have c-domain.com d-domain.com etc and none of them are
    affected.

    What can I look @ or what can I tell someone else to start looking @?
    The support we are getting is lack-luster at best.

    Thanks for any help.

  2. Re: vsi-fax newbie Q

    > Let me 1st start this by saying I am not the normal Unix guy around
    > here. We have an outside package system that runs Unix. We have VSI-
    > Fax on this system to email and fax out.
    >
    > We have several users with different domain names.
    > i.e. user1@a-domain.com and user1@b-domain.com
    > Now at some point last month something happened and now all the users
    > at b-domain.com had the domain on them get switched.
    >
    > So for example user1@b-domain.com now sends out as user1@a-domain.com
    > BUT I have c-domain.com d-domain.com etc and none of them are
    > affected.
    >
    > What can I look @ or what can I tell someone else to start looking @?
    > The support we are getting is lack-luster at best.
    >
    > Thanks for any help.

    I install, configure, fix, and use vsi-fax a lot and have no idea what you're talking about.
    What does ${VSIFAX}/lib/vsifax.ini have under [LOGIN]?
    What does ${VSIFAX}/lib/vsisrv.ini have under [VMAIL]?

    Actually never mind, this will be an agonizingly slow conversation this way, since before anyone can say what's the right settings for vsifax, first they have to find out all about your email system, which might be simple, or might be complicated and might be misconfigured and need overhauling itself first. Do you have a smart-host/relay-host? is it local or remote? do you use mmdf or sendmil or something else like smail/postfix/qmail/exim? If you send mail directly, do you have a fixed IP and a PTR record? Once email does what you want, then you can tell vsi-fax how to use email in your environment.

    I suggest get a unix guy to just come in and look it over. In a week of newsgroup back & forth you still won't have accomplished as much as 10 minutes on the phone.