Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7 - SCO ; Nick typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 08:00:26AM -0700): | On Sep 6, 10:33*am, "Kevin K" wrote: | > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:23:17 UTC, Nick wrote: | > > What would be the device name for a ...

  1. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    Nick typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 08:00:26AM -0700):
    | On Sep 6, 10:33*am, "Kevin K" wrote:
    | > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:23:17 UTC, Nick wrote:
    | > > What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7?
    | > > Is it still /dev/fd0?
    | >
    | > I haven't used 5.0.7. *But I suspect, based on experience with older
    | > SCO 5 systems, that /dev/fd0 will remain a device node to the floppy
    | > controller based floppy drive, if present present, or to nothing if
    | > not present.
    |
    | I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    | The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    | write to /dev/fd0.
    |
    | So thats why I was questioning the device name?

    In principle, one I've run 'mkdev flopti', then one of the
    /dev/dsk/fp* entries should let me access floppies.

    It doesn't work for me, but I recall various write-ups about USB
    floppy drives that say "try a different model".

    --
    JP

  2. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    Don't know about 5.07 but Unixware 7.1.4 does not make the link between a
    USB floppy and /dev/fd0. We have to reference the /dev/dsk/c2b0t0d0p0
    address. This address can change if you move the floppy to another USB port.
    We use a symbolic link to get around the /dev/fd0 problem.

    Hope this helps.

    "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message
    > Nick typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 08:00:26AM -0700):
    > | >
    > | > I haven't used 5.0.7. But I suspect, based on experience with older
    > | > SCO 5 systems, that /dev/fd0 will remain a device node to the floppy
    > | > controller based floppy drive, if present present, or to nothing if
    > | > not present.
    > |
    > | I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    > | The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    > | write to /dev/fd0.
    > |
    > | So thats why I was questioning the device name?
    >
    > In principle, one I've run 'mkdev flopti', then one of the
    > /dev/dsk/fp* entries should let me access floppies.
    >
    > It doesn't work for me, but I recall various write-ups about USB
    > floppy drives that say "try a different model".
    >
    > --
    > JP

  3. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    On Sep 8, 10:35*am, "Rick" wrote:
    > Don't know about 5.07 but Unixware 7.1.4 does not make the link between a
    > USB floppy and /dev/fd0. We have to reference the /dev/dsk/c2b0t0d0p0
    > address. This address can change if you move the floppy to another USB port.
    > We use a symbolic link to get around the /dev/fd0 problem.
    >
    > Hope this helps.
    >
    > "Jean-Pierre Radley" wrote in message

    > > Nick typed (on Sat, Sep 06, 2008 at 08:00:26AM -0700):

    > > | I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    > > | The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    > > | write to /dev/fd0.
    > > |
    > > | So thats why I was questioning the device name?

    > > In principle, one I've run 'mkdev flopti', then one of the
    > > /dev/dsk/fp* entries should let me access floppies.

    > > It doesn't work for me, but I recall various write-ups about USB
    > > floppy drives that say "try a different model".

    > > --
    > > JP- Hide quoted text -

    The usb floppy is a Teac. hwconfig -h shows the following:

    floppy - - - type=S ha=0 id=0 lun=0 bus=0
    ht=usb_msto unit=0
    Sflp-0 - - - Vnd=TEAC Prd=FD-05PUW Rev=3000

    However, looking at the man page on mscsi, it seems there should be an
    entry in the mscsi file for Sflp,
    and I do not see an entry there for it.

    I guess I will try running the mkdev flopti to see what happens.

    Unless there are any other suggestions? :-)

    Thanks,
    Nick

  4. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    On 10 Sep, 15:58, Nick wrote:
    > The usb floppy is a Teac. *hwconfig -h shows the following:
    >
    > floppy * * * * - * * * *- * - *type=S ha=0 id=0lun=0 bus=0
    > ht=usb_msto unit=0
    > Sflp-0 * * * * - * * * *- * - *Vnd=TEAC Prd=FD-05PUW Rev=3000
    >
    > However, looking at the man page on mscsi, it seems there should be an
    > entry in the mscsi file for Sflp,
    > and I do not see an entry there for it.
    >
    > I guess I will try running the mkdev flopti to see what happens.
    >
    > Unless there are any other suggestions? * :-)

    Check out the man page at:

    http://osr507doc.sco.com/en/man/html.HW/usb.HW.html

    and specifically the configuring removable storage devices section.

    John

+ Reply to Thread