USB Floppy - 5.0.7 - SCO

This is a discussion on USB Floppy - 5.0.7 - SCO ; What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7? Is it still /dev/fd0? Thanks...

  1. USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7?
    Is it still /dev/fd0?

    Thanks

  2. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:23:17 UTC, Nick wrote:

    > What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7?
    > Is it still /dev/fd0?

    I haven't used 5.0.7. But I suspect, based on experience with older
    SCO 5 systems, that /dev/fd0 will remain a device node to the floppy
    controller based floppy drive, if present present, or to nothing if
    not present.

  3. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    On Sep 6, 10:33*am, "Kevin K" wrote:
    > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:23:17 UTC, Nick wrote:
    > > What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7?
    > > Is it still /dev/fd0?

    > I haven't used 5.0.7. *But I suspect, based on experience with older
    > SCO 5 systems, that /dev/fd0 will remain a device node to the floppy
    > controller based floppy drive, if present present, or to nothing if
    > not present.

    I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    write to /dev/fd0.

    So thats why I was questioning the device name?
    Nick

  4. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    In article <53243d00-60aa-463c-80a8-300583e0dd08@e53g2000hsa.googlegroups.com> Nick writes:
    $I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    $The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    $write to /dev/fd0.
    $
    $So thats why I was questioning the device name?

    I've never tried using a USB floppy on SCO Unix. But this reminded
    me of something I ran across while researching the use of USB flash drives
    in 5.0.7. Have a look at the Sflp(HW) man page; I think it may solve
    your problem.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  5. Re: USB Floppy - 5.0.7

    On Sat, 6 Sep 2008 15:00:26 UTC, Nick wrote:

    > On Sep 6, 10:33˙am, "Kevin K" wrote:
    > > On Fri, 5 Sep 2008 16:23:17 UTC, Nick wrote:
    > > > What would be the device name for a usb floppy on 5.0.7?
    > > > Is it still /dev/fd0?

    > > I haven't used 5.0.7. ˙But I suspect, based on experience with older
    > > SCO 5 systems, that /dev/fd0 will remain a device node to the floppy
    > > controller based floppy drive, if present present, or to nothing if
    > > not present.

    > I've disabled the on board floppy controller as described in the TA.
    > The hwconfig -h output shows the usb floppy, however, I'm unable to
    > write to /dev/fd0.
    >
    > So thats why I was questioning the device name?
    > Nick

    You may have disabled the floppy controller, but the /dev/fd0 is still
    most likely, at least for a more static device configuration of SCO 5
    era OS's, to still be an entry to a floppy drive connected to a floppy
    controller. USB drives would be a completely different device driver.

    Remember how you have to go through rebuilding a kernel to do
    something as simple as adding a harddrive or CDROM drive.

+ Reply to Thread