How to grab data from stdout terminal - SCO

This is a discussion on How to grab data from stdout terminal - SCO ; Hi, I am using solaris and As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS. I want to where the OS stores all this data ??? ...

  1. How to grab data from stdout terminal

    Hi,

    I am using solaris and

    As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.

    I want to where the OS stores all this data ???

    Assume while launch my script i didnt provide any redirection option
    store terminal output to some file

    now if i want to grab output printed on terminal then manually i have
    to select the portion and copy paste...

    that is fine, but is there any option other then this ???

    I cannot run same script again to grab things...

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: How to grab data from stdout terminal

    On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:24:52 -0700 (PDT), Bhavik
    wrote:

    > As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    > printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.

    No, it's not stored if you don't redirect it somewhere for storage.

    --
    Frank J. Perricone frank.perricone@state.vt.us
    IT Manager 802-828-4926 Fax: 802-828-2803

  3. Re: How to grab data from stdout terminal

    On Aug 27, 11:56 am, Frank J. Perricone
    wrote:
    > On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:24:52 -0700 (PDT), Bhavik
    > wrote:
    >
    > > As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    > > printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.

    Could you use the "script" command?
    You need to logout first to view the "typescript" file of the
    terminal session.

    -Mike

  4. Re: How to grab data from stdout terminal

    Mike wrote:
    > On Aug 27, 11:56 am, Frank J. Perricone
    > wrote:
    >> On Tue, 26 Aug 2008 23:24:52 -0700 (PDT), Bhavik
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    >>> printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.

    > Could you use the "script" command?
    > You need to logout first to view the "typescript" file of the
    > terminal session.
    >
    > -Mike

    You can also use 'tee' to split the stdout to a file as well.

  5. Re: How to grab data from stdout terminal

    Bhavik writes:

    > Hi,
    >
    > I am using solaris and
    >
    > As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    > printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.
    >
    > I want to where the OS stores all this data ???
    >
    > Assume while launch my script i didnt provide any redirection option
    > store terminal output to some file
    >
    > now if i want to grab output printed on terminal then manually i have
    > to select the portion and copy paste...
    >
    > that is fine, but is there any option other then this ???
    >
    > I cannot run same script again to grab things...

    What you're doing is the best thing you can do at this point, unless
    whatever terminal window, ssh client, or whatever your prompt is in
    has any scrollback or session logging enabled.

    Next time, you'll know to use redirection to a file, pipe it through
    tee to a file, or to issue the script command ahead of any shell
    session you'd like to log completely.

    Best Regards,
    --
    Todd H.
    http://www.toddh.net/

  6. Re: How to grab data from stdout terminal

    Thanx a lot for suggestions... thank you again... (" ,)
    On Aug 27, 10:21*pm, comph...@toddh.net (Todd H.) wrote:
    > Bhavik writes:
    > > Hi,

    > > I am using solaris and

    > > As I know stdout is also file (system file), so it means whatever
    > > printed data on terminal should be store somewhere by OS.

    > > I want to where the OS stores all this data ???

    > > Assume while launch my script i didnt provide any redirection option
    > > store terminal output to some file

    > > now if i want to grab output printed on terminal then manually i have
    > > to select the portion and copy paste...

    > > that is fine, but is there any option other then this ???

    > > I cannot run same script again to grab things...

    > What you're doing is the best thing you can do at this point, unless
    > whatever terminal window, ssh client, or whatever your prompt is in
    > has any scrollback or session logging enabled.
    >
    > Next time, you'll know to use redirection to a file, pipe it through
    > tee to a file, or to issue the script command ahead of any shell
    > session you'd like to log completely.
    >
    > Best Regards,
    > --
    > Todd H.http://www.toddh.net/