SCO OS 6.0 with MP3 breaks Roundtree Accounting - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO OS 6.0 with MP3 breaks Roundtree Accounting - SCO ; I installed MP3 on a client's 6.0 system but had to remove it (by restoring the root file system from the nightly backup) as the RoundTree accounting application failed to run. This is the error message that comes up when ...

  1. SCO OS 6.0 with MP3 breaks Roundtree Accounting

    I installed MP3 on a client's 6.0 system but had to
    remove it (by restoring the root file system from the
    nightly backup) as the RoundTree accounting application
    failed to run.

    This is the error message that comes up when you try to
    run the system:

    Invalid Environment Variable "AUSER".
    Please correct and re-try.
    Exiting to Operating System.

    In the MP3 release notes there is a XENIX compatibility section
    that states in part:

    Limitations

    1. A previously installed Xenix application that uses semaphores may
    fail immediately after upgrading to MP3 because of a change in the
    way Xenix semaphores are implemented. Previously, the xrun
    emulator simulated Xenix semaphores via System V semaphores, using
    regular files that contained information about the semaphore
    properties. As noted above, MP3 eliminates that implementation in
    favor of a direct kernel-level implementation of Xenix semaphores.

    If such an application failure is encountered after installing
    MP3, application functionality can usually be restored by shutting
    down the application, deleting the old semaphore files, and then
    restarting the application. In a few cases, it might be necessary
    to reinstall the application.

    How do I identify these semaphor files? No hint is given on how to find them.

    Read on if interested to see the proof that this is a compiled Xenix binary.

    The problem is a compiled Xenix application as indicated by access time on
    /bin/xrun:

    To test if the /u/advnt/progs/ADV executable uses the xrun emulator
    I issued the following commands:

    Note that l -lu lists the last time the file is accessed instead of the
    date the file was modified.

    # l -lu /bin/xrun
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 150332 Aug 22 21:47 /bin/xrun@ Last
    accessed 21:41
    # date
    Fri Aug 22 22:03:26 CDT 2008

    # cd /u/advant/progs
    # ./ADV Then exit: I just got to the login screen and then exited.

    Immediately issuing the l -lu /bin/xrun after exiting ADV:

    # l -lu /bin/xrun
    -r-xr-xr-x 1 bin bin 150332 Aug 22 22:04 /bin/xrun@ Last
    access time updated
    # date
    Fri Aug 22 22:04:38 CDT 2008

    --

    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: SCO OS 6.0 with MP3 breaks Roundtree Accounting

    On 25 Aug, 17:16, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > I installed MP3 on a client's 6.0 system but had to
    > remove it (by restoring the root file system from the
    > nightly backup) as the RoundTree accounting application
    > failed to run.

    Steve,

    Have you tried OSS710a, the Xenix Compatibility update at:

    http://www.sco.com/support/update/do...se.php?rid=350

    If no, please do.

    If you are still experiencing problems then SCO do provide an alias
    (osr5to6@sco.com) that provides assistance to customers having
    difficulty migrating their applications to OpenServer 6.0.0.

    Regards,

    John

+ Reply to Thread