new server with 5.0.7 and existing license - SCO

This is a discussion on new server with 5.0.7 and existing license - SCO ; Hello We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has Openserver v5.0.7. We would like to reinstall the same version of OpenServer however as the installation was done a long time ago by people who left ...

  1. new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Hello

    We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    Openserver v5.0.7.
    We would like to reinstall the same version of OpenServer however as
    the installation was done a long time ago by people who left the
    company, we do not have the license information used the first time.

    Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    If yes, how?

    thank you for your help

  2. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    yannick typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):

    | We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    | Openserver v5.0.7. We would like to reinstall the same version of
    | OpenServer however as the installation was done a long time ago by
    | people who left the company, we do not have the license information
    | used the first time.
    |
    | Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    | If yes, how?

    Run the License Manager and see if the OS is registered. If so, then
    either that data or proof-of-purchase (in the unlikely case that you can
    find it, since you haven't at hand the actual license) should give you
    some leverage to ring up SCO for help.

    But then, why go through a reinstallation at all? Use BackupEDGE or
    LoneTar to migrate to new hardware.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    On 20 Aug, 23:48, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > yannick typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    >
    > | We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    > | Openserver v5.0.7. *We would like to reinstall the same version of
    > | OpenServer however as the installation was done a long time ago by
    > | people who left the company, we do not have the license information
    > | used the first time.
    > |
    > | Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    > | If yes, how?
    >
    > Run the License Manager and see if the OS is registered. *If so, then
    > either that data or proof-of-purchase (in the unlikely case that you can
    > find it, since you haven't at hand the actual license) should give you
    > some leverage to ring up SCO for help.
    >
    > But then, why go through a reinstallation at all? *Use BackupEDGE or
    > LoneTar to migrate to new hardware.

    Have you used this successfully with OpenServer 5.0.x? Does it
    transfer boot loaders appropriately? Because migrating to new hardware
    usually also means new or re-arranged drivers, and from my Linux and
    UNIX experience, that makes switching to new harder potentially quite,
    quite awkward.

  4. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    "Nico Kadel-Garcia" wrote in message
    On 20 Aug, 23:48, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > yannick typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    >
    > > > We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    > > > Openserver v5.0.7. We would like to reinstall the same version of

    > > But then, why go through a reinstallation at all? Use BackupEDGE or
    > > LoneTar to migrate to new hardware.

    > Have you used this successfully with OpenServer 5.0.x? Does it
    > transfer boot loaders appropriately? Because migrating to new hardware
    > usually also means new or re-arranged drivers, and from my Linux and
    > UNIX experience, that makes switching to new harder potentially quite,
    > quite awkward.

    That question borders on the offensive.

    Of course he has, and so have I and so have tons of other people for years
    and years.
    It is not merely an ok suggestion, it is THE reference procedure and for
    good reason.
    That's why he made the suggestion and why all the other people who actually
    have in depth and long time experience with both this OS and exactly the
    very very very typical, common, ordinary situation the OP is in, did not
    contradict, correct, or even improve upon the suggestion.

    CTAR, Lone-Tar, and BackupEdge are all products that have been around for
    ages and their main expertise is doing exactly that, and specifically on
    this platform. They've been doing it so long that ctar is actually
    discontinued since several years ago. Lone-Tar and BackupEdge are both still
    currently developed and producing new features and abilities. Meanwhile
    their ability to successfully do this kind of migration is greatly enabled
    by the fact that the OS is far more static and universal than linux.
    Everyones OSR 5.0.7 is the same as everyone elses, and 5.0.7 is not that
    different from 5.0.6, 5.0.5 etc... right on back to xenix. There are
    differences of course but the number of possible differences are vanishingly
    smaller, and most of those adhere to some sort of rule that can be counted
    on, so for those places where the util has to do some dynamic examination,
    it actually can do so reliably.

    There is someone in this thread who makes suggestions without knowing if
    they work or how well or in all cases or if they are practical or wise in
    contex etc.. but it's not JPR.

  5. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    On 21 Aug, 09:00, "Brian K. White" wrote:

    > That question borders on the offensive.
    >
    > Of course he has, and so have I and so have tons of other people for years
    > and years.
    > It is not merely an ok suggestion, it is THE reference procedure and for
    > good reason.
    > That's why he made the suggestion and why all the other people who actually
    > have in depth and long time experience with both this OS and exactly the
    > very very very typical, common, ordinary situation the OP is in, did not
    > contradict, correct, or even improve upon the suggestion.

    Sorry, Brian. Didn't mean to offend. Sometimes folks are busy. I've
    had far too many people, in far too many situations, recommend some
    tool or product that they've not in fact tested in a particular
    environment. And if folks like you *hand't* used it, they might not
    know it didn't work.

    > CTAR, Lone-Tar, and BackupEdge are all products that have been around for
    > ages and their main expertise is doing exactly that, and specifically on
    > this platform. They've been doing it so long that ctar is actually
    > discontinued since several years ago. Lone-Tar and BackupEdge are both still
    > currently developed and producing new features and abilities. Meanwhile
    > their ability to successfully do this kind of migration is greatly enabled
    > by the fact that the OS is far more static and universal than linux.
    > Everyones OSR 5.0.7 is the same as everyone elses, and 5.0.7 is not that
    > different from 5.0.6, 5.0.5 etc... right on back to xenix. There are
    > differences of course but the number of possible differences are vanishingly
    > smaller, and most of those adhere to some sort of rule that can be counted
    > on, so for those places where the util has to do some dynamic examination,
    > it actually can do so reliably.

    See, I've *written* OS migration procedures, used in 13,000 machines
    in one month. Those were Linux, and Linux/Windows dual-boot systems:
    so I have an intimate familiarity with all the ways it can be working
    in one setup, and broken in another. Ads are great, and I see from the
    BackupEdge ads i'm looking at that it looks promising. But I've
    actually manufactured new servers that were a nightmare to transfer
    operating systems to, because the vendor installation procedures
    simply did not work. So I'm skeptical without the affirmation of
    folks, like you, who've actually used it.

    > There is someone in this thread who makes suggestions without knowing if
    > they work or how well or in all cases or if they are practical or wise in
    > contex etc.. but it's not JPR.

    That's why I *asked*.

  6. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:07:00PM -0700):
    | On 20 Aug, 23:48, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > yannick typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    | >
    | > | We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    | > | Openserver v5.0.7. *We would like to reinstall the same version of
    | > | OpenServer however as the installation was done a long time ago by
    | > | people who left the company, we do not have the license information
    | > | used the first time.
    | > |
    | > | Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    | > | If yes, how?
    | >
    | > Run the License Manager and see if the OS is registered. *If so, then
    | > either that data or proof-of-purchase (in the unlikely case that you can
    | > find it, since you haven't at hand the actual license) should give you
    | > some leverage to ring up SCO for help.
    | >
    | > But then, why go through a reinstallation at all? *Use BackupEDGE or
    | > LoneTar to migrate to new hardware.
    |
    | Have you used this successfully with OpenServer 5.0.x? Does it
    | transfer boot loaders appropriately? Because migrating to new hardware
    | usually also means new or re-arranged drivers, and from my Linux and
    | UNIX experience, that makes switching to new harder potentially quite,
    | quite awkward.

    Yes I have, more than once.
    Changing NIC drivers, for example, is trivial.

    Not so trivial is what you do if you are going from one Host Adapter to a
    different one, but Microlite's web site has good White Papers for this.

    --
    JP

  7. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    On 21 Aug, 18:02, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:07:00PM -0700):
    > | On 20 Aug, 23:48, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > yannick typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):

    > | > |

    > | > Run the License Manager and see if the OS is registered. *If so, then
    > | > either that data or proof-of-purchase (in the unlikely case that you can
    > | > find it, since you haven't at hand the actual license) should give you
    > | > some leverage to ring up SCO for help.
    > | >
    > | > But then, why go through a reinstallation at all? *Use BackupEDGE or
    > | > LoneTar to migrate to new hardware.
    > |
    > | Have you used this successfully with OpenServer 5.0.x? Does it
    > | transfer boot loaders appropriately? Because migrating to new hardware
    > | usually also means new or re-arranged drivers, and from my Linux and
    > | UNIX experience, that makes switching to new harder potentially quite,
    > | quite awkward.
    >
    > Yes I have, more than once.
    > Changing NIC drivers, for example, is trivial.
    >
    > Not so trivial is what you do if you are going from one Host Adapter to a
    > different one, but Microlite's web site has good White Papers for this.

    Thank you. Which did you use, BackupEDGE or LoneTar? And does anyone
    have good recommendations for one versus the other? The ability to
    accomodate RAID controller drivers that normally require manual floppy
    installation for a normal install is particularly interesting.

  8. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:07:39AM -0700):
    | On 21 Aug, 18:02, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:07:00PM -0700):

    | > | > |

    | > |
    | > | Have you used this successfully with OpenServer 5.0.x? Does it
    | > | transfer boot loaders appropriately? Because migrating to new hardware
    | > | usually also means new or re-arranged drivers, and from my Linux and
    | > | UNIX experience, that makes switching to new harder potentially quite,
    | > | quite awkward.
    | >
    | > Yes I have, more than once.
    | > Changing NIC drivers, for example, is trivial.
    | >
    | > Not so trivial is what you do if you are going from one Host Adapter to a
    | > different one, but Microlite's web site has good White Papers for this.
    |
    | Thank you. Which did you use, BackupEDGE or LoneTar? And does anyone
    | have good recommendations for one versus the other? The ability to
    | accomodate RAID controller drivers that normally require manual floppy
    | installation for a normal install is particularly interesting.

    I used BackupEDGE.

    --
    JP

  9. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    yannick wrote (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    > Hello
    >
    > We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    > Openserver v5.0.7.
    > We would like to reinstall the same version of OpenServer however as
    > the installation was done a long time ago by people who left the
    > company, we do not have the license information used the first time.
    >
    > Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    > If yes, how?
    >
    > thank you for your help

    on machines that i'm looking at, relevant info is saved in
    /var/adm/ISL/iqm_file

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  10. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind typed (on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 05:11:36PM -0400):
    | yannick wrote (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    | > Hello
    | >
    | > We have a client that wants to replace his current server which has
    | > Openserver v5.0.7.
    | > We would like to reinstall the same version of OpenServer however as
    | > the installation was done a long time ago by people who left the
    | > company, we do not have the license information used the first time.
    | >
    | > Is there a way for us to find this information on the existing server?
    | > If yes, how?
    | >
    | > thank you for your help
    | >

    | on machines that i'm looking at, relevant info is saved in
    | /var/adm/ISL/iqm_file

    I'm looking at said file on a 5.0.7 machine, and I can see the License
    Number for the OS (just running licenseMgr is a more direct way to see
    it), but that wouldn't suffice for a re-installation. One also needs the
    License Code.

    --
    JP

  11. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:07:39AM -0700):
    > | On 21 Aug, 18:02, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 11:07:00PM -0700):

    > | > | > |

    > | > |

    > | > Yes I have, more than once.
    > | > Changing NIC drivers, for example, is trivial.
    > | >
    > | > Not so trivial is what you do if you are going from one Host Adapter to a
    > | > different one, but Microlite's web site has good White Papers for this.

    The "secret" to moving from an old system with one host adapter to a newer
    system with a different host adapter is to install the driver for the new
    host adapter onto the old system, run mkdev hd and indicate that you are
    installing a disk on the new host adapter, rebuild the kernel, then reboot
    and remake the Backup Edge RE2 image.

    Then make your backup with the "make bootable" checked. Boot the backup's
    RE2 boot image and use the "defbootstr Sdsk=new_adapter(0,0,0,0)"
    (replace new_adapter with the proper identification of the new adapter)
    then perform an automatic restore to set up the new system hard disk and
    restore the backup.

    Once the backup is restored, you will have to boot the new disk with
    the same defbootstr Sdsk=new_adapter(0,0,0,0), then edit /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    and change the adapter from the old to the new name, relink the kernel
    and install the new kernel.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  12. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Fri, Aug 22, 2008 at 01:07:39AM -0700):

    >> which has
    >> version of
    >> ago by
    >> information
    >> | > | > |
    >> existing server?

    >> so, then
    >> that you can
    >> give you

    >> BackupEDGE or
    >> | > |
    >> hardware
    >> and
    >> quite,

    >> Adapter to a
    >> this.

    > The "secret" to moving from an old system with one host adapter to a newer
    > system with a different host adapter is to install the driver for the new
    > host adapter onto the old system, run mkdev hd and indicate that you are
    > installing a disk on the new host adapter, rebuild the kernel, then reboot
    > and remake the Backup Edge RE2 image.
    >
    > Then make your backup with the "make bootable" checked. Boot the backup's
    > RE2 boot image and use the "defbootstr Sdsk=new_adapter(0,0,0,0)"
    > (replace new_adapter with the proper identification of the new adapter)
    > then perform an automatic restore to set up the new system hard disk and
    > restore the backup.
    >
    > Once the backup is restored, you will have to boot the new disk with
    > the same defbootstr Sdsk=new_adapter(0,0,0,0), then edit
    > /etc/conf/cf.d/mscsi
    > and change the adapter from the old to the new name, relink the kernel
    > and install the new kernel.

    That's a wonderful breakdown. Can I talk you into posting this on AP
    Lawrence's Wiki, over ata http://aplawrence.com?

    >> | have good recommendations for one versus the other? The ability to
    >> | accomodate RAID controller drivers that normally require manual floppy
    >> | installation for a normal install is particularly interesting.
    >>
    >> I used BackupEDGE.

  13. Re: new server with 5.0.7 and existing license

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 06:18:37PM -0400):
    > Nachman Yaakov Ziskind typed (on Sun, Aug 24, 2008 at 05:11:36PM -0400):
    > | yannick wrote (on Wed, Aug 20, 2008 at 02:48:51PM -0700):
    > | > Hello
    > | >
    > I'm looking at said file on a 5.0.7 machine, and I can see the License
    > Number for the OS (just running licenseMgr is a more direct way to see
    > it), but that wouldn't suffice for a re-installation. One also needs the
    > License Code.
    >
    > --
    > JP

    I'm looking at a 506 and a 505 box, and they both have a
    IQM_ACTIVATION_KEY. Perhaps this changed with 507?