ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7 - SCO

This is a discussion on ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7 - SCO ; I just upgraded a client from 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and several times each day they get the message "ifor_pmd died" no one can login over the network and the system has to be rebooted. When I say upgraded, I mean ...

  1. ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    I just upgraded a client from 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and several times
    each day they get the message "ifor_pmd died" no one can login
    over the network and the system has to be rebooted.

    When I say upgraded, I mean installed new quad-core Xeon system,
    performed a fresh install, and restored the users and application
    software and data from BackupEdge backup.

    The installation of 5.0.7 was to boot the 5.0.7 CD with
    "defbootstr link=aacraid", install the OS, reboot, run custom
    and install SMP (defer license), install MP5 and reboot.

    Run custom and install supplemental graphics and network drivers to
    enable auto detection of deferred network card. Run netconfig and
    set up the network. Create /etc/resolv.conf to point to ISP's
    DNS servers.

    Install SAMBA from the 5.0.7 media kit.

    Install patchck and run it to install:

    INSTALLED currently on real.XXXX.com
    oss656b oss656b - OpenServer Supplement oss656b
    oss667b oss667b - OpenServer Supplement oss667b
    oss672a oss672a - OpenServer Supplement oss672a
    oss674a oss674a - OpenServer Supplement oss674a
    rs507d Maintenance Pack 5 for OSR5.0.7
    j2jre131 Java 2 JRE 1.3.1_22

    25-user upgrade license was installed and system tuned for the
    additional users.

    Stune looks like this:

    NODE "real"
    EVDEVS 160
    EVQUEUES 152
    NSPTTYS 128
    NUMSP 320
    NSTREAM 8192
    NHINODE 1024
    GPGSLO 2000
    GPGSHI 6000
    NSTRPAGES 6256
    TTHOG 5120
    NCLIST 712
    NSTREVENT 8448
    NUMTIM 1040
    NUMTRW 1040
    SECLUID 0
    SECSTOPIO 1
    SECCLEARID 1
    SHMMAX 10485760
    SHMMNI 200
    SEMMAP 256
    SEMMNI 384
    SEMMNS 512
    SEMMNU 150
    SEMMSL 50
    NMUXLINK 448
    NBUF 300000 <- I tuned these paramaters
    NHBUF 524288 <-
    SDSKOUT 16 <-
    TBLNK 360 <-

    Everything else was default or tuned by adding the 25-user upgrade license
    and the 25-user license from the old 5.0.5 system.

    I searched the SCO knowledge base for ifor_pmd but all the posts are pre 5.0.7

    Anyone seen the same problem on 5.0.7?

    I remember a problem with startx on 5.0.6 and Bela provided this information:

    > On OSR506, those nodes are created by /etc/conf/node.d/Xsco (well, by
    > `idmknod` according to instructions in that file); relating to the
    > STREAMS pipe driver "sp".
    >
    > Is that driver enabled?
    >

    > # cat /etc/conf/sdevice.d/sp
    > sp Y 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
    >

    > If it isn't enabled, I would be worried about the rest of the STREAMS
    > subsystem. Run `mkdev streams` and tell it to go about its business.
    > Defer any kernel relink.
    >

    > Next, is "sp" configured for 256 units? The nodes refer to minor
    > numbers 254 & 255, i.e. the 255 & 256th units. This is so regular use
    > of "sp" via /dev/spx can automatically allocate units 0 through (256 -
    > 2 * (# active X servers)) without clashing with the preallocated X
    > server nodes.
    >

    > # grep NUMSP /etc/conf/cf.d/stune
    > /etc/conf/cf.d/stune:NUMSP 256
    >

    > If not, run /etc/conf/cf.d/configure, go through the Streams section,
    > set NUMSP to 256. No more, no less.

    I did not question the "No more, no less." at the time. But I see that
    NUMSP on 5.0.7 is set to 320. Can this be a problem?

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    I haven't run into a dying ifor_pmd in a while but I know it's not
    unheard of ...

    Google "policy manager has died" (with quotes); the first hit is a
    troubleshooting document from SCO that might be useful.
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  3. Re: ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    On 18 Aug, 08:00, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    > I just upgraded a client from 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and several times
    > each day they get the message "ifor_pmd died" no one can login
    > over the network and the system has to be rebooted.

    Steve,

    This may be a license issue. See

    http://www.sco.com/ta/125249

    John

  4. Re: ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    Stephen M. Dunn wrote:
    > I haven't run into a dying ifor_pmd in a while but I know it's not
    > unheard of ...
    >
    > Google "policy manager has died" (with quotes); the first hit is a
    > troubleshooting document from SCO that might be useful.

    Lovely license manager SCO has got, crippling legitimate systems and all...

    So, what was this "industrial strength" mantra again...?

  5. Re: ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    bonixsas@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 18 Aug, 08:00, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >> I just upgraded a client from 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and several times
    >> each day they get the message "ifor_pmd died" no one can login
    >> over the network and the system has to be rebooted.

    > Steve,
    >
    > This may be a license issue. See
    >
    > http://www.sco.com/ta/125249
    >
    > John

    I finally checked with Team 1 Systems technical support on this issue
    (they provided the servers sans HD and I loaded the 5.0.7) and was
    informed that it is a know issue with 5.0.7, oss656b, and MP5.

    The latest media kits automatically installs oss656b immediately after
    the ISL. The included MP5 handles the problem ok.

    Where I went wrong was that I installed an earlier MP5 that I downloaded
    to my tool CD when MP5 was first available. Had I used the included MP5
    from the media kit, the problem would not have occurred (as it has not
    for the second 5.0.7 server installed with the MP5 from the media kit).

    I am disappointed with SCO TA's as when I searched them for ifor_pmd, I
    only found 104851. The one John references is not applicable as new
    5.0.7 licenses were provided for the "former customer" trade-in from
    5.0.5.

  6. Re: ifor_pmd dies on new installation of 5.0.7

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > bonixsas@gmail.com wrote:
    >> On 18 Aug, 08:00, "Steve M. Fabac, Jr." wrote:
    >>> I just upgraded a client from 5.0.5 to 5.0.7 and several times
    >>> each day they get the message "ifor_pmd died" no one can login
    >>> over the network and the system has to be rebooted.

    >> Steve,
    >>
    >> This may be a license issue. See
    >>
    >> http://www.sco.com/ta/125249
    >>
    >> John
    >>

    > I finally checked with Team 1 Systems technical support on this issue
    > (they provided the servers sans HD and I loaded the 5.0.7) and was
    > informed that it is a know issue with 5.0.7, oss656b, and MP5.
    >
    > The latest media kits automatically installs oss656b immediately after
    > the ISL. The included MP5 handles the problem ok.
    >
    > Where I went wrong was that I installed an earlier MP5 that I downloaded
    > to my tool CD when MP5 was first available. Had I used the included MP5
    > from the media kit, the problem would not have occurred (as it has not
    > for the second 5.0.7 server installed with the MP5 from the media kit).

    Just got a call this morning, the second box had ifor_pmd die and the client
    had to reboot.

    I'll be responding to the client's site to un-install MP5, un-install oss656b,
    run integrity and fixmog, re-install MP5 and then re-install oos656b as
    recommended by Team 1 tech support.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates