Booting problems - no physical floppy disk - SCO

This is a discussion on Booting problems - no physical floppy disk - SCO ; I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk. If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will ...

  1. Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.

    If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not boot.

    I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the floppy -
    I think this is why its failing.

    Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    floppy?

    Thanks.
    Phil

  2. Re: Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    "McCracken" wrote in message
    >I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.
    >
    > If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    > fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not boot.
    >
    > I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the floppy -
    > I think this is why its failing.
    >
    > Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    > floppy?

    What exactly do you mean by "the system will not boot"?
    Does it fail to POST?
    Does it not get to the boot: prompt whatsoever?
    Does it just hang after hitting 'enter' at the boot: prompt?
    Or something else entirely?

    Bob

  3. Re: Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    Hi Bob,

    It gets to the boot: prompt, I hit enter and nothing happens.

    On Aug 8, 6:14*pm, "Bob Bailin" <72027.3...@compuserve.com> wrote:
    > "McCracken" wrote in message

    > >I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.

    > > If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    > > fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not boot.

    > > I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the floppy -
    > > I think this is why its failing.

    > > Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    > > floppy?

    > What exactly do you mean by "the system will not boot"?
    > Does it fail to POST?
    > Does it not get to the boot: prompt whatsoever?
    > Does it just hang after hitting 'enter' at the boot: prompt?
    > Or something else entirely?
    >
    > Bob

  4. Re: Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    >"McCracken" wrote in message
    >
    >On Aug 8, 6:14 pm, "Bob Bailin" <72027.3...@compuserve.com> wrote:
    >> "McCracken" wrote in message

    >> >I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.

    >> > If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    >> > fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not boot.

    >> > I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the floppy -
    >> > I think this is why its failing.

    >> > Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    >> > floppy?

    >> What exactly do you mean by "the system will not boot"?
    >> Does it fail to POST?
    >> Does it not get to the boot: prompt whatsoever?
    >> Does it just hang after hitting 'enter' at the boot: prompt?
    >> Or something else entirely?
    >>
    >> Bob

    >Hi Bob,
    >
    >It gets to the boot: prompt, I hit enter and nothing happens.

    The boot program is probably trying to check the type of
    floppy drive, since the BIOS didn't specify one.

    There are two settings in most BIOSes regarding the floppy.
    The first, usually on the main page of setup, describes what
    type of floppy drive you have, 1.2, 1.44, 2.88 or none. I
    assume this is the one you set to "none". Also make sure
    that the floppy is not part of the BIOS boot sequence.

    There's another setting that enables or disables the floppy
    controller. This should be set to "disabled" so that boot
    doesn't try to detect the floppy type.

    If this doesn't work, just leave the settings as they were,
    no harm, no foul.

    Bob

  5. Re: Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    >I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.

    > If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    > fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not

    boot.

    > I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the

    floppy -
    > I think this is why its failing.

    > Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    > floppy?

    Watch the splash message during the hardware detection phase There may
    be an error message telling you what is wrong. Or look at the last
    part of /usr/adm/messages to see the same info.

    I unplugged the floppy on one of my testbed machines and whether or
    not I had the controller active or the drive specified I got a warning
    message that there was no floppy available. That would indicate to me
    that your problem is a little deeper. Could there have been a floppy
    installed when the system was loaded?

    hd(40)unix is an alternate way of specifying the current version. It
    comes up with the same error messages.

  6. Re: Booting problems - no physical floppy disk

    On Aug 9, 6:53*am, ed wrote:
    > >I have a SCO 5.0.5 box that does not have a physical floppy disk.

    > *> If I setup the BIOS to pretend there is a floppy the system boots
    > *> fine, when I remove the floppy from the BIOS the system will not
    > boot.
    >
    > *> I've read that issuing hd(40)unix at boot: first searches the
    > floppy -
    > *> I think this is why its failing.
    >
    > *> Is there any boot: command I can issue to skip searching for the
    > *> floppy?
    >
    > Watch the splash message during the hardware detection phase There may
    > be an error message telling you what is wrong. Or look at the last
    > part of /usr/adm/messages to see the same info.
    >
    > I unplugged the floppy on one of my testbed machines and whether or
    > not I had the controller active or the drive specified I got a warning
    > message that there was no floppy available. That would indicate to me
    > that your problem is a little deeper. Could there have been a floppy
    > installed when the system was loaded?
    >
    > hd(40)unix is an alternate way of specifying the current version. It
    > comes up with the same error messages.

    The machine was 'ghosted' from another machine that the system was
    built on, the original machine had a floppy disk but the new target
    machine does not.

+ Reply to Thread