DNS - nslookup & sendmail - SCO

This is a discussion on DNS - nslookup & sendmail - SCO ; On an SCO OSF 6 mp3 server, using Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8, that I will name here as "abc.com", almost all of the email is being rejected. An example of the error messages in syslog is: OK, connected to abc.com... -0400 (EDT) ...

  1. DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On an SCO OSF 6 mp3 server, using Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8, that I will
    name here as "abc.com", almost all of the email is being rejected. An
    example of the error messages in syslog is:

    OK, connected to abc.com...
    < 220 abc.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:17:24
    -0400 (EDT)
    > HELO edit.dnsvr.com

    < 250 abc.com Hello [64.85.73.124], pleased to meet you
    > MAIL FROM:

    < 553 5.1.8
    >... Domain of sender address me@xyz.com does not exist

    The domain of sender does in fact exist. A nslookup test at
    zoneedit.com produeces:
    Host Type Value
    xyzcom NS ns1.mydyndns.org.
    xyz..com NS ns2.mydyndns.org.
    xyz.com NS ns3.mydyndns.org.

    However I notice that if nslookup is executed from the mail server
    abc.com the following is produced:
    #nslookup abc.com
    Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    Address: 203.62.195.75
    Name: abc.com.abc.com
    Served by:
    - E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - B.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - K.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    Notice the name abc.com.abc.com. This does not look normal to me.

    If I use nslookup to check the xyz.com domain from abc.com the
    following is produced.
    #nslookup xyz.com
    Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    Address: 203.62.195.75
    Name: xyzs.com.abc.com
    Served by:
    - F.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - E.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - H.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - J.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - L.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - A.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - I.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    - G.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    Again notice "Name: xyzs.com.abc.com", which also does not look
    normal to me.

    The resolve.conf file on abc.com is as follows:
    domain abc.com
    search abc.com ns5.dyndns.org ns1.dyndns.org ns2.dyndns.org
    nameserver 203.62.195.75
    nameserver 68.208.196.90
    nameserver 204.13.249.75

    I will appreciate all comments.
    Thanks

  2. Re: DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On Wed, Aug 06, 2008, steveba@yahoo.com wrote:
    >On an SCO OSF 6 mp3 server, using Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8, that I will
    >name here as "abc.com", almost all of the email is being rejected. An
    >example of the error messages in syslog is:
    >
    >OK, connected to abc.com...
    >< 220 abc.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:17:24
    >-0400 (EDT)
    >> HELO edit.dnsvr.com

    >< 250 abc.com Hello [64.85.73.124], pleased to meet you
    >> MAIL FROM:

    >< 553 5.1.8
    >>... Domain of sender address me@xyz.com does not exist

    >The domain of sender does in fact exist. A nslookup test at
    >zoneedit.com produeces:

    Give that you're using bogus domain names, there is no way to
    check what is really going on. The error ``sendor address.*does
    not exist'' probably means that there are no MX or A records for
    the domain (at least that what it means with postfix -- I have
    always avoided sendmail like the plague :-).

    BTW: the use of nslookup has been deprecated for about 10 years
    now. I would use ``dig'' instead.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Government spending? I don't know what it's all about. I don't know
    any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
    doesn't know much. -- Will Rogers

  3. Re: DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On Aug 6, 9:03 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Wed, Aug 06, 2008, stev...@yahoo.com wrote:
    > >On an SCO OSF 6 mp3 server, using Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8, that I will
    > >name here as "abc.com", almost all of the email is being rejected. An
    > >example of the error messages in syslog is:

    > >OK, connected to abc.com...
    > >< 220 abc.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:17:24
    > >-0400 (EDT)
    > >> HELO edit.dnsvr.com

    > >< 250 abc.com Hello [64.85.73.124], pleased to meet you
    > >> MAIL FROM:

    > >< 553 5.1.8
    > >>... Domain of sender address m...@xyz.com does not exist

    > >The domain of sender does in fact exist. A nslookup test at
    > >zoneedit.com produeces:

    > Give that you're using bogus domain names, there is no way to
    > check what is really going on. The error ``sendor address.*does
    > not exist'' probably means that there are no MX or A records for
    > the domain (at least that what it means with postfix -- I have
    > always avoided sendmail like the plague :-).
    >
    > BTW: the use of nslookup has been deprecated for about 10 years
    > now. I would use ``dig'' instead.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > Fax: (206) 232-9186
    >
    > Government spending? I don't know what it's all about. I don't know
    > any more about this thing than an economist does, and, God knows, he
    > doesn't know much. -- Will Rogers

    I thought that I replied to Bill's response but I do not see it. If
    this is repetitious my apologies:

    I have used dig on all of the domains that I referenced and I get all
    the information that would be expected.
    It is only when I use nslookup that I get the odd response. Again is
    I perform an nslookup while logged into the host "server.abc.com" on
    the domain name "abc.com the following is returned:

    #nslookup abc.com
    Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    Address: 203.62.195.75

    Name: abc.com.abc.com
    Served by:
    - M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    If I perform an nslookup from the same server (server.abc.com) on
    several of the domains that are being rejected by sendmail, lets call
    them xyz.com, I get the following:

    #nslookup xyz.com
    Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    Address: 203.62.195.75

    Name: xyz.com.abc.com
    Served by:
    - D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    All rejected domains do in fact have MX records.
    I have repeated queries using dig and everything looks fine. Which
    gets me back to why is sendmail rejecting the email?

    When I became aware of the email problem I had been using "swat" to
    configure samba. I do not know if this is related or not. I will
    remove the samba if need be, but first I would like to verify that
    that the sendmail problem is not related to DNS.

  4. Re: DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On Aug 7, 12:04 pm, stev...@yahoo.com wrote:
> [...]

    > - M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    >
    > If I perform an nslookup from the same server (server.abc.com) on
    > several of the domains that are being rejected by sendmail, lets call
    > them xyz.com, I get the following:
    >
    > #nslookup xyz.com
    > Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    > Address: 203.62.195.75
    >
    > Name: xyz.com.abc.com
    > Served by:
    > - D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    >
    > All rejected domains do in fact have MX records.
    > I have repeated queries using dig and everything looks fine. Which
    > gets me back to why is sendmail rejecting the email?
    >
    > When I became aware of the email problem I had been using "swat" to
    > configure samba. I do not know if this is related or not. I will
    > remove the samba if need be, but first I would like to verify that
    > that the sendmail problem is not related to DNS.

    I just tried traceroute on the the domains rejected by sendmail and
    traceroute does not find them.

    In fact if I dothe following:

    # traceroute sco.com
    traceroute: unknown host sco.com

  5. Re: DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On Thu, Aug 07, 2008, steveba@yahoo.com wrote:
    >On Aug 6, 9:03 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
    >> On Wed, Aug 06, 2008, stev...@yahoo.com wrote:
    >> >On an SCO OSF 6 mp3 server, using Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8, that I will
    >> >name here as "abc.com", almost all of the email is being rejected. An
    >> >example of the error messages in syslog is:

    >> >OK, connected to abc.com...
    >> >< 220 abc.com ESMTP Sendmail 8.13.8/8.13.8; Wed, 6 Aug 2008 17:17:24
    >> >-0400 (EDT)
    >> >< 250 abc.com Hello [64.85.73.124], pleased to meet you
    >> >< 553 5.1.8 >> >>... Domain of sender address m...@xyz.com does not exist

    >> >The domain of sender does in fact exist. A nslookup test at
    >> >zoneedit.com produeces:

    >> Give that you're using bogus domain names, there is no way to
    >> check what is really going on. The error ``sendor address.*does
    >> not exist'' probably means that there are no MX or A records for
    >> the domain (at least that what it means with postfix -- I have
    >> always avoided sendmail like the plague :-).

    >I thought that I replied to Bill's response but I do not see it. If
    >this is repetitious my apologies:
    >
    >I have used dig on all of the domains that I referenced and I get all
    >the information that would be expected.
    >It is only when I use nslookup that I get the odd response. Again is
    >I perform an nslookup while logged into the host "server.abc.com" on
    >the domain name "abc.com the following is returned:
    >
    >#nslookup abc.com
    >Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    >Address: 203.62.195.75
    >
    >Name: abc.com.abc.com
    >Served by:
    >- M.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    As I pointed out in a private e-mail, the problem appears to be
    with the 203.62.195.75 name server which is not returning good
    data. Running the same command with a different name server
    returns valid information. This is a query using our local
    caching name server (dnscache from djbdns):

    Server: 192.168.253.33
    Address: 192.168.253.33#53

    Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: abc.com
    Address: 199.181.132.250

    dig abc.com mx

    ; <<>> DiG 9.5.0-P1 <<>> abc.com mx
    ;; global options: printcmd
    ;; Got answer:
    ;; flags: qr rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 4, AUTHORITY: 0, ADDITIONAL: 0

    ;; QUESTION SECTION:
    ;abc.com. IN MX

    ;; ANSWER SECTION:
    abc.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mx2.disney.com.
    abc.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mx3.disney.com.
    abc.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mx4.disney.com.
    abc.com. 1800 IN MX 10 mx1.disney.com.

    ;; Query time: 48 msec
    ;; SERVER: 192.168.253.33#53(192.168.253.33)
    ;; WHEN: Thu Aug 7 09:35:05 2008
    ;; MSG SIZE rcvd: 112

    Select a working name server in /etc/resolv.conf and the problems
    will probably go away.

    >If I perform an nslookup from the same server (server.abc.com) on
    >several of the domains that are being rejected by sendmail, lets call
    >them xyz.com, I get the following:
    >
    >#nslookup xyz.com
    >Server: ns5.dyndns.org
    >Address: 203.62.195.75
    >
    >Name: xyz.com.abc.com
    >Served by:
    >- D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET
    >
    >All rejected domains do in fact have MX records.
    >I have repeated queries using dig and everything looks fine. Which
    >gets me back to why is sendmail rejecting the email?
    >
    >When I became aware of the email problem I had been using "swat" to
    >configure samba. I do not know if this is related or not. I will
    >remove the samba if need be, but first I would like to verify that
    >that the sendmail problem is not related to DNS.

    --
    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    It's not what you pay a man but what he costs you that counts.
    Will Rogers

  6. Re: DNS - nslookup & sendmail

    On Aug 7, 12:36 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
> [...]

    > >- D.ROOT-SERVERS.NET

    > >All rejected domains do in fact have MX records.
    > >I have repeated queries using dig and everything looks fine. Which
    > >gets me back to why is sendmail rejecting the email?

    > >When I became aware of the email problem I had been using "swat" to
    > >configure samba. I do not know if this is related or not. I will
    > >remove the samba if need be, but first I would like to verify that
    > >that the sendmail problem is not related to DNS.

    > --
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > Fax: (206) 232-9186
    >
    > It's not what you pay a man but what he costs you that counts.

    The problem has been resolved and you were correct the problem was
    with several domain servers at a particular dynamic name provider. I
    made the changes to our resolv.conf and notified the DNS provider of
    the problem.

    Thanks for your help.

    Steve

+ Reply to Thread