SSH Login freezes after successful authentication - SCO

This is a discussion on SSH Login freezes after successful authentication - SCO ; We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server. If a ...

  1. SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.

    If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    even get a shell prompt.

    This is what we get:
    root@192.168.12.240's password:
    []

  2. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    Assasin.x@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:55AM -0700):
    | We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    | Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    | password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.
    |
    | If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    | aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    | even get a shell prompt.
    |
    | This is what we get:
    | root@192.168.12.240's password:
    | []

    Please provide the version of Unix and the version of sshd it is running,
    and also the version of the ssh client that is attempting to log in.

    Please also try to run ssh with the -v option.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    On Aug 5, 9:24 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Assasi...@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:55AM -0700):
    > | We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    > | Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    > | password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.
    > |
    > | If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    > | aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    > | even get a shell prompt.
    > |
    > | This is what we get:
    > | r...@192.168.12.240's password:
    > | []
    >
    > Please provide the version of Unix and the version of sshd it is running,
    > and also the version of the ssh client that is attempting to log in.
    >
    > Please also try to run ssh with the -v option.
    >
    > --
    > JP

    OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.70 2004/12/23 23:11:00 djm Exp
    SCO openserver 6

  4. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    On Aug 5, 9:07 am, Assasi...@gmail.com wrote:
    > We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    > Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    > password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.
    >
    > If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    > aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    > even get a shell prompt.
    >
    > This is what we get:
    > r...@192.168.12.240's password:
    > []

    Looks like a tset prompt, waiting for the user to enter the terminal
    type.

    Try debugging statements in your .profile or .login, depending on the
    shell.

    R Robert
    *** Starsoftware

  5. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    On Aug 5, 9:43 am, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Aug 5, 9:07 am, Assasi...@gmail.com wrote:
    >
    > > We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    > > Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    > > password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.

    > > If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    > > aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    > > even get a shell prompt.

    > > This is what we get:
    > > r...@192.168.12.240's password:
    > > []

    > Looks like a tset prompt, waiting for the user to enter the terminal
    > type.
    >
    > Try debugging statements in your .profile or .login, depending on the
    > shell.
    >
    > R Robert
    > *** Starsoftware

    Are you sure? This happens to any user who tries to log on after a
    certain amount of users have logged on. Once a user logs on after
    that, their session is frozen they can't type anything, they must exit
    the terminal. A simple ps -ef | grep sshd | wc showed the number of
    logged on users increasing. We had it up to about 30 users at one
    point when there were only 4 physical machines logged on and using the
    server. I added in the '[]' to represent the blinking cursor :P.

    How would I enable debugging for all users? Is there an easy way to do
    this?

  6. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    Assasin.x@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:36:47AM -0700):
    | On Aug 5, 9:24 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Assasi...@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:55AM -0700):
    | > | We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    | > | Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    | > | password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.
    | > |
    | > | If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    | > | aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    | > | even get a shell prompt.
    | > |
    | > | This is what we get:
    | > | r...@192.168.12.240's password:
    | > | []
    | >
    | > Please provide the version of Unix and the version of sshd it is running,
    | > and also the version of the ssh client that is attempting to log in.
    | >
    | > Please also try to run ssh with the -v option.
    | >
    | > --
    | > JP
    |
    | OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.70 2004/12/23 23:11:00 djm Exp
    | SCO openserver 6

    Uh, you're running OpenBSD software on OSR 6.0.0? Why, since OSR 6.0.0
    already provides ssh binaries? You didn't tell us what the ssh client
    is, nor do you report trying to use the verbose option.

    Ball's in your court...

    --
    JP

  7. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    On Aug 6, 4:50 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Assasi...@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:36:47AM -0700):
    > | On Aug 5, 9:24 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > | > Assasi...@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:55AM -0700):
    > | > |
    > | > |

    > | > Please provide the version of Unix and the version of sshd it is running,
    > | > and also the version of the ssh client that is attempting to log in.
    > | >
    > | > Please also try to run ssh with the -v option.
    > | >
    > | > --
    > | > JP
    > |
    > | OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.70 2004/12/23 23:11:00 djm Exp
    > | SCO openserver 6
    >
    > Uh, you're running OpenBSD software on OSR 6.0.0? Why, since OSR 6.0.0
    > already provides ssh binaries? You didn't tell us what the ssh client
    > is, nor do you report trying to use the verbose option.
    >
    > Ball's in your court...
    >
    > --
    > JP

    OpenBSD 1.70 is the version of SSHD distributed with OpenServer.

    ;-)

    RLR

  8. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    ThreeStar typed (on Mon, Aug 11, 2008 at 10:00:51AM -0700):
    | > | OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.70 2004/12/23 23:11:00 djm Exp
    | > | SCO openserver 6
    | >
    | > Uh, you're running OpenBSD software on OSR 6.0.0? Why, since OSR 6.0.0
    | > already provides ssh binaries? You didn't tell us what the ssh client
    | > is, nor do you report trying to use the verbose option.
    | >
    | > Ball's in your court...
    | >
    | > --
    | > JP
    |
    | OpenBSD 1.70 is the version of SSHD distributed with OpenServer.
    |
    | ;-)

    Thanks. I sit corrected. :-)

    --
    JP

  9. Re: SSH Login freezes after successful authentication

    Assasin.x@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:36:47AM -0700):
    | On Aug 5, 9:24 am, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    | > Assasi...@gmail.com typed (on Tue, Aug 05, 2008 at 09:07:55AM -0700):
    | > | We are currently experiencing and issue where when we log into our SCO
    | > | Unix server (any user) it hangs as soon as you put in a successful
    | > | password. This all occurred after we had to reboot the server.
    | > |
    | > | If a wrong password is input, it does deny access and lets you become
    | > | aware of your failure, but on success... its just frozen, before you
    | > | even get a shell prompt.
    | > |
    | > | This is what we get:
    | > | r...@192.168.12.240's password:
    | > | []
    | >
    | > Please provide the version of Unix and the version of sshd it is running,
    | > and also the version of the ssh client that is attempting to log in.
    | >
    | > Please also try to run ssh with the -v option.
    | >
    | > --
    | > JP
    |
    | OpenBSD: sshd_config,v 1.70 2004/12/23 23:11:00 djm Exp
    | SCO openserver 6

    I did NOT ask for the first line in /etc/ssh/sshd_config, did I?
    I asked for the version of sshd. On OSR 6, I'd expect:
    OpenSSH_4.6p1, OpenSSL 0.9.8e 23 Feb 2007

    Anything useful about the login attempts in any file in /var/adm?

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread