Re: Does 5.0.7 run well on modern hardware? - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Does 5.0.7 run well on modern hardware? - SCO ; In article "Bob Bailin" writes: $The main problem 5.0.7 has with modern motherboards is that it doesn't $support native SATA controllers (AHCI). It will work with SATA drives $if the BIOS is set to legacy mode, but that's not an ...

  1. Re: Does 5.0.7 run well on modern hardware?

    In article <48Pjk.16733$mh5.7268@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com> "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> writes:
    $The main problem 5.0.7 has with modern motherboards is that it doesn't
    $support native SATA controllers (AHCI). It will work with SATA drives
    $if the BIOS is set to legacy mode, but that's not an option if you're dual
    $booting with XP, which works much more efficiently in native AHCI mode.

    Fair'nuff - but I don't mind using a recent PATA drive, and while
    there are quite a few motherboards that omit PATA, there's no shortage
    of boards that still offer it (albeit usually only one channel).

    $If you use an old PCI video card, it's sure to work, but again, XP will
    $run terribly on it, and you generally can't use both onboard and PCI
    $video simultaneously on most motherboards.

    Yup - really not a practical option. I don't need high-end video
    cards, but I do need something better than PCI. It would have to be
    either the embedded video or a PCIe card.

    $The simplest solution would be to get yourself a free copy of MS Virtual PC
    $or VMware and install 5.0.7 on a virtual machine. There have been numerous
    $posts in the ng on this topic.

    Yeah, I know that's an option. It's not one I'm particularly keen
    on, but if the final answer to my question is "you're not gonna get
    5.0.7 to run on anything remotely modern" then I'll consider whether
    this one is worth the hassle - and from the numerous posts in the ng
    on this topic, I know that sometimes this does *not* go smoothly.

    Thanks for your response!
    --
    Stephen M. Dunn

  2. Re: Does 5.0.7 run well on modern hardware?

    On Wed, Jul 30, 2008, Stephen M. Dunn wrote:
    >In article <48Pjk.16733$mh5.7268@nlpi067.nbdc.sbc.com> "Bob Bailin" <72027.3605@compuserve.com> writes:
    >$The main problem 5.0.7 has with modern motherboards is that it doesn't
    >$support native SATA controllers (AHCI). It will work with SATA drives
    >$if the BIOS is set to legacy mode, but that's not an option if you're dual
    >$booting with XP, which works much more efficiently in native AHCI mode.
    >
    > Fair'nuff - but I don't mind using a recent PATA drive, and while
    >there are quite a few motherboards that omit PATA, there's no shortage
    >of boards that still offer it (albeit usually only one channel).
    >
    >$If you use an old PCI video card, it's sure to work, but again, XP will
    >$run terribly on it, and you generally can't use both onboard and PCI
    >$video simultaneously on most motherboards.
    >
    > Yup - really not a practical option. I don't need high-end video
    >cards, but I do need something better than PCI. It would have to be
    >either the embedded video or a PCIe card.
    >
    >$The simplest solution would be to get yourself a free copy of MS Virtual PC
    >$or VMware and install 5.0.7 on a virtual machine. There have been numerous
    >$posts in the ng on this topic.
    >
    > Yeah, I know that's an option. It's not one I'm particularly keen
    >on, but if the final answer to my question is "you're not gonna get
    >5.0.7 to run on anything remotely modern" then I'll consider whether
    >this one is worth the hassle - and from the numerous posts in the ng
    >on this topic, I know that sometimes this does *not* go smoothly.

    The only comments I've seen about OSR5 VMware installs being difficult are
    using their ESX product.

    I had absolutely no problems installing 5.0.6a on VMware Server (no
    charge), using IDE drive emulation. I have never tried running VMware on
    Windows, only on Linux (I don't run *ANYTHING* on Windows). The 5.0.6a
    system is considerably faster than it was on native hardware.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    A fake fortuneteller can be tolerated. But an authentic soothsayer should
    be shot on sight. Cassandra did not get half the kicking around she deserved.
    -- R.A. Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread