display user settings without changing - SCO

This is a discussion on display user settings without changing - SCO ; How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in /etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod. userls prints a mess and ...

  1. display user settings without changing

    How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    /etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.

    userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    to just print certain attributes, not set them.

    this is for an openserver 6 site that is being audited, but i'm pretty
    sure that openserver 5 answers would apply as well.

    --
    -Joe Chasan- Magnatech Business Systems, Inc.
    joe - at - magnatechonline -dot- com Hicksville, NY - USA

  2. Re: display user settings without changing

    On Mon, Jul 28, 2008, Joe Chasan wrote:
    >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.
    >
    >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    >to just print certain attributes, not set them.

    The ``finger'' command shows some things, but not the interesting stuff
    that's in the /etc/shadow file (expiration times and such).

    The fields in SCO's /etc/shadow are a bit different than on Linux. Look at
    the file /usr/include/shadow.h for the C structure definitions. ``man
    getspnam'' will get the documentations for the library routines that access
    this information.

    I have written a variety of python and perl scripts to handle user account
    information, synchronize accounts from remote machines, etc., but always
    have to dig into them to remember what's what.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    An almost hysterical antagonism toward the gold standard is one issue which
    unites statists of all persuasions. They seem to sense that gold and
    economic freedom are inseparable. -- Alan Greenspan

  3. Re: display user settings without changing

    In article <20080728163602.A26885@magnatechonline.com>,
    Joe Chasan wrote:
    >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.
    >
    >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    >to just print certain attributes, not set them.
    >
    >this is for an openserver 6 site that is being audited, but i'm pretty
    >sure that openserver 5 answers would apply as well.

    This will print some of the TCB data:

    ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/lastlogin
    (note the dependencies given at the top of the program -
    none of which affect the TCB reports)

    The help (search for "TCB" in it):
    ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/help_pages/lastlogin

    John

  4. Re: display user settings without changing

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 02:43:28AM -0500, John DuBois wrote:
    > In article <20080728163602.A26885@magnatechonline.com>,
    > Joe Chasan wrote:
    > >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    > >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    > >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.
    > >
    > >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    > >to just print certain attributes, not set them.
    > >
    > >this is for an openserver 6 site that is being audited, but i'm pretty
    > >sure that openserver 5 answers would apply as well.

    > This will print some of the TCB data:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/lastlogin
    > (note the dependencies given at the top of the program -
    > none of which affect the TCB reports)
    >
    > The help (search for "TCB" in it):
    > ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/help_pages/lastlogin

    thanks - that does give good info, but not really what i'm after.

    for IT audit, i need to show machine-generated settings for things
    like password controls, how many bad login attempts allowed before
    account is locked, etc.

    basically, things commonly set with usermod -x "ridiculous_option_string"
    (with -D for defaults, rather than per-user) - but i don't want to set
    them, just display what settings are.

    --
    -Joe Chasan- Magnatech Business Systems, Inc.
    joe - at - magnatechonline -dot- com Hicksville, NY - USA
    http://www.MagnatechOnline.com Tel.(516) 931-4444/Fax.(516) 931-1264

  5. Re: display user settings without changing

    In article <20080729095735.A17558@magnatechonline.com>,
    Joe Chasan wrote:
    >> In article <20080728163602.A26885@magnatechonline.com>,
    >> Joe Chasan wrote:
    >> >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    >> >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    >> >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.
    >> >
    >> >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    >> >to just print certain attributes, not set them.

    >for IT audit, i need to show machine-generated settings for things
    >like password controls, how many bad login attempts allowed before
    >account is locked, etc.
    >
    >basically, things commonly set with usermod -x "ridiculous_option_string"
    >(with -D for defaults, rather than per-user) - but i don't want to set
    >them, just display what settings are.

    userls is the tool to do this. Yes, it's unfortunate that it doesn't have an
    option for nicely formatted human-readable output. At least the output is
    (intentionally) very regular and so lends itself to parsing for such a display.

    John

  6. Re: display user settings without changing

    On Jul 29, 12:43*am, spce...@armory.com (John DuBois) wrote:
    > In article <20080728163602.A26...@magnatechonline.com>,
    > Joe Chasan * wrote:
    >
    > >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    > >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    > >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.

    > >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    > >to just print certain attributes, not set them.

    > >this is for an openserver 6 site that is being audited, but i'm pretty
    > >sure that openserver 5 answers would apply as well.

    > This will print some of the TCB data:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/lastlogin
    > (note the dependencies given at the top of the program -
    > none of which affect the TCB reports)
    >
    > The help (search for "TCB" in it):ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/help_pages/lastlogin
    >
    > * * * * John
    > --
    > John DuBois *spce...@armory.com *KC6QKZ/AE *http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/

    I tried to run the script under OSR 507 with GNU dev tools installed
    (gawk version 3.1.1) and on Linux with gawk version 3.1.3, but in both
    cases -Wexec parameter on the #! line is not understood by gawk. Does
    anyone knows any workaround?
    Thanks
    Mi

  7. Re: display user settings without changing

    In article ,
    migurus wrote:
    >On Jul 29, 12:43*am, spce...@armory.com (John DuBois) wrote:
    >> In article <20080728163602.A26...@magnatechonline.com>,
    >> Joe Chasan * wrote:
    >>
    >> >How does one display some of the more esoteric user settings (default or
    >> >per-user) without changing them - not stuff that'd be printed in
    >> >/etc/default files, but stuff that is hidden and set via usermod.

    >> >userls prints a mess and i can't figure what flag to tell usermod
    >> >to just print certain attributes, not set them.

    >> >this is for an openserver 6 site that is being audited, but i'm pretty
    >> >sure that openserver 5 answers would apply as well.

    >> This will print some of the TCB data:
    >>
    >> ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/lastlogin
    >> (note the dependencies given at the top of the program -
    >> none of which affect the TCB reports)
    >>
    >> The help (search for "TCB" in it):ftp://ftp.armory.com/pub/scripts/help_pages/lastlogin

    >I tried to run the script under OSR 507 with GNU dev tools installed
    >(gawk version 3.1.1) and on Linux with gawk version 3.1.3, but in both
    >cases -Wexec parameter on the #! line is not understood by gawk. Does
    >anyone knows any workaround?

    That's a very old gawk. Recent MPs have a gawk that will work.
    You can replace -Wexec with -f (which requires that you introduce any options
    with + instead of -), but gawk-3.1.1 has problems that will prevent the program
    from functioning. It might work under 3.1.3.

    John