Re: Foolproof version checking - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: Foolproof version checking - SCO ; On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote: >Hi all, > >What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the >version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes? I have always used ``uname -X'' ...

  1. Re: Foolproof version checking

    On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the
    >version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes?

    I have always used ``uname -X''

    >And has there ever been a version 4.2?

    As in 3.2v4.2, which I think was the last OpenDesktop 2.0 system.
    I have one in my rack, but it has not been booted for years.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
    working for you. -- Will Rogers

  2. Re: Foolproof version checking

    On Jul 21, 11:05 am, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > >Hi all,

    > >What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the
    > >version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes?

    > I have always used ``uname -X''
    >
    > >And has there ever been a version 4.2?

    > As in 3.2v4.2, which I think was the last OpenDesktop 2.0 system.
    > I have one in my rack, but it has not been booted for years.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > Fax: (206) 232-9186
    >
    > There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
    > working for you. -- Will Rogers

    I believe Open Desktop was a bundle. Version 2.0 did include 3.2v4.2
    but I don't believe they're synonymous.

    I'm still maintaining a number of 3.2v4.2 production systems.

    RLR
    *** Software

  3. SCO Unix -> OpenServer releases, Re: Foolproof version checking

    wrote:

    > On Jul 21, 11:05 am, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > > On Mon, Jul 21, 2008, Bob Rasmussen wrote:
    > > >Hi all,

    > > >What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the
    > > >version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes?

    > > I have always used ``uname -X''
    > >
    > > >And has there ever been a version 4.2?

    > > As in 3.2v4.2, which I think was the last OpenDesktop 2.0 system.
    > > I have one in my rack, but it has not been booted for years.
    > >
    > > Bill
    > > --
    > > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > > Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > > Fax: (206) 232-9186
    > >
    > > There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government
    > > working for you. -- Will Rogers

    > I believe Open Desktop was a bundle. Version 2.0 did include 3.2v4.2
    > but I don't believe they're synonymous.

    I believe they're anti-synonymous.

    Lists of SCO Unix, Open Desktop, Open Server, and OpenServer version
    number history have been posted before. Google thyself.

    Ummm. Actually, I'm not finding my own posting on the subject, and the
    best web pages I can find about it are moderately wrong(*). So here's a
    modified quote from an old private email of mine:

    Here is a correct mapping of standalone SCO Unix version numbers to
    bundled Open Desktop version numbers:

    Bundled "SCO Open Desktop", "SCO Open
    Standalone "SCO UNIX" Desktop Server System", and/or "SCO Open
    version Server" version

    3.2.0 (ODT 1.0 hadn't yet shipped)

    (3.2.1) ODT 1.0 (underlying OS labeled 3.2.1; 3.2.1
    was never available as a separate standalone)

    3.2v2.0 ODT 1.1

    3.2v2.1 (was a version number which `uname -X` would return on
    both 3.2v2.0 and ODT 1.1 systems after being upgraded by
    a supplement whose name I no longer remember)

    3.2v4.0 (no corresponding ODT release)

    3.2v4.1 ODT 2.0 (**)

    3.2v4.2 ODT 3.0

    Starting with SCO Unix 3.2v5.0.0 / OpenServer 5.0.0, there was no
    "standalone Unix" product, so the version numbers are in perfect sync.

    The "standalone" column shows what `uname -X` would have displayed, at
    least in those versions which supported that flag. I believe it was
    added in 3.2v2.0. Before that you would have had to look in places like
    /etc/perms/rtsmd and the kernel startup messages in /usr/adm/messages;
    `uname -a` always showed "3.2 2" meaning "3.2[AT&T SysV release number]"
    "2[AT&T tape update number]" -- it took until 3.2v2.0 before the
    pressure from Support to get identifiable version numbers out there
    overcame Engineering's fear of AT&T reprisal for touching what was seen
    as a sacrosanct AT&T version number.

    (**) Due to internal politics and development schedules, the base OS
    identified as "3.2v4.1" in the Unix 3.2v4.1 standalone was moderately
    different from that in ODT 2.0. Each had some components which were
    newer than the other. These didn't properly synch back up until
    3.2v4.2 / ODT 3.0 shipped.

    (*) Two of the best, or at least most interesting, that I found are:

    http://williambader.com/museum/dell/xenixhistory.html
    (moderately good coverage of Xenix history, though I doubt the
    congruence between AT&T SysV release subversions & Xenix versions;
    plus Unix / OpenServer, gets some of the version mapping wrong and
    the one date that I'm pretty sure about -- OSR5.0.0 in 1995 -- is
    wrong here)

    http://www.tkrh.demon.co.uk/scod.html
    (sparse on UW7 releases; stops before OSR507; mapping between Unix &
    ODT versions is wrong in many cases)

    >Bela<

  4. Re: SCO Unix -> OpenServer releases, Re: Foolproof version checking

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > `uname -a` always showed "3.2 2" meaning "3.2[AT&T SysV release number]"
    > "2[AT&T tape update number]" -- it took until 3.2v2.0 before the
    > pressure from Support to get identifiable version numbers out there
    > overcame Engineering's fear of AT&T reprisal for touching what was seen
    > as a sacrosanct AT&T version number.

    Bela, I have always wondered why did SCO kept their Unix at SystemVR3.2
    and then spent a lot of engineering effort to replicate in-house the
    features from SystemVR4 (except on-demand loadable drivers and never
    getting an advanced filesystem, among others), while all the competitors
    happily licensed SystemVR4 and devoted their engineering efforts not to
    catch-up but to add differentiation and unique features to their UNIXes...

    I mean, while SunOS grew from a little BSD-derived UNIX to be a fully
    SystemVR4.2 UNIX and was ported to the SPARC and was made to support
    hot-swappable hardware, SCO Unix stayed frozen in SystemVR3.2 and went
    slowly adding features to almost get up-to-par with vanilla SystemVR4.

    SUN Microsystems surpassed SCO by far, but it could have been a totally
    different story.

    Could you share some light on those issues?

    Thank you.

+ Reply to Thread