Foolproof version checking - SCO

This is a discussion on Foolproof version checking - SCO ; Hi all, What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes? And has there ever been a version 4.2? Regards, .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc. ...

  1. Foolproof version checking

    Hi all,

    What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the
    version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes?

    And has there ever been a version 4.2?

    Regards,
    .....Bob Rasmussen, President, Rasmussen Software, Inc.

    personal e-mail: ras@anzio.com
    company e-mail: rsi@anzio.com
    fax: (US) 503-624-0760
    web: http://www.anzio.com
    street address: Rasmussen Software, Inc.
    10240 SW Nimbus, Suite L9
    Portland, OR 97223 USA

  2. Re: Foolproof version checking

    On Mon, 21 Jul 2008 11:02:36 -0700 (PDT), Bob Rasmussen
    wrote:

    >What is the best way, on an unknown Open Server box, to determine the
    >version (such as 5.0.6), including on very old boxes?

    See:

    Kinda overkill, but uname -X should do the trick unless you want
    versions of all the various modules and installed software.

    >And has there ever been a version 4.2?

    Sorta. Open Desktop 3.2v4.2

    -> uname -r
    3.2

    -> uname -a
    comix comix 3.2 2 i386

    [ksh] [ttyp0] [root] [/]
    -> uname -X

    System = comix
    Node = comix
    Release = 3.2v4.2
    KernelID = 93/04/28
    Machine = i80486
    BusType = ISA
    Serial = sco006640
    Users = unlim
    OEM# = 0
    Origin# = 1
    NumCPU = 1

    Incidentally, this ODT box has been in service continuously since
    about 1989. It's currently a 486DX2/66 with 8MBytes ram and a Conner
    1080s 1GB drive. Fast, efficient, reliable, cheap, etc... I keep
    waiting for it to die so I can replace it with something better.

    # 831-336-2558 jeffl@comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
    # http://802.11junk.com jeffl@cruzio.com
    # http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

  3. Re: Foolproof version checking

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > [ksh] [ttyp0] [root] [/]
    > -> uname -X

    Hello.

    Very niche prompt that you have there. Would you share the Korn Shell
    recipe for it?

    > System = comix
    > Node = comix
    > Release = 3.2v4.2
    > KernelID = 93/04/28
    > Machine = i80486
    > BusType = ISA
    > Serial = sco006640
    > Users = unlim
    > OEM# = 0
    > Origin# = 1
    > NumCPU = 1
    >
    > Incidentally, this ODT box has been in service continuously since
    > about 1989. It's currently a 486DX2/66 with 8MBytes ram and a Conner
    > 1080s 1GB drive. Fast, efficient, reliable, cheap, etc... I keep
    > waiting for it to die so I can replace it with something better.

    Amazing. Is it an stand-alone machine, or is it networked to ethernet?

    Even more amazing is that you can run all that time with such an small
    HDD, and not filling it up!

  4. Re: Foolproof version checking

    On Tue, 22 Jul 2008 21:31:18 +0200, Pepe wrote:

    >Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    >> [ksh] [ttyp0] [root] [/]
    >> -> uname -X

    >Hello.
    >
    >Very niche prompt that you have there. Would you share the Korn Shell
    >recipe for it?

    Sure. Methinks (not sure) that KSH ish required.
    This is from my $HOME/.profile file.

    # setup prompt
    PS1="\!> [$(logname)\@$(hostname)] [$(basename $(tty))] \$PWD
    => " # set the main prompt on 2 lines

    I dumped the whole mess on my web pile. See:
    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/sco/profile
    http://www.LearnByDestroying.com/sco/kshrc

    Feel free to borrow, etc.

    --
    Jeff Liebermann jeffl@cruzio.com
    Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

  5. Re: Foolproof version checking

    Jeff Liebermann wrote:
    > Sure. Methinks (not sure) that KSH ish required.
    > This is from my $HOME/.profile file.
    >
    > # setup prompt
    > PS1="\!> [$(logname)\@$(hostname)] [$(basename $(tty))] \$PWD
    > => " # set the main prompt on 2 lines