A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507? - SCO

This is a discussion on A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507? - SCO ; Hi folks, Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of *locate for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and ftp2.sco.com and can only find ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so far. I have ...

  1. A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    Hi folks,

    Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of *locate
    for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and ftp2.sco.com
    and can only find ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so
    far. I have not even tried to "shoehorn" this OSR600 version onto OSR507 as I
    expect it to not work if I do. Is there a *locate for OSR507 that I am
    overlooking? If so, where can I find the beast? TIA.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5k7bbc
    'More About Mandriva Linux Upgrades'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  2. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:14:31PM -0500):
    | Hi folks,
    |
    | Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of *locate
    | for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and ftp2.sco.com
    | and can only find ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so
    | far. I have not even tried to "shoehorn" this OSR600 version onto OSR507 as I
    | expect it to not work if I do. Is there a *locate for OSR507 that I am
    | overlooking? If so, where can I find the beast? TIA.

    I do believe it is included in gnutools-5.0.7Kj, which you can download
    from ftp.sco.com

    --
    JP

  3. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On Fri, Jul 18, 2008, ERACC wrote:
    >Hi folks,
    >
    >Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of *locate
    >for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and ftp2.sco.com
    >and can only find ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so
    >far. I have not even tried to "shoehorn" this OSR600 version onto OSR507 as I
    >expect it to not work if I do. Is there a *locate for OSR507 that I am
    >overlooking? If so, where can I find the beast? TIA.

    On many systems ``locate'' is in the gnu findutils package. I
    can't say where it is on SCO as I have always built it myself.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    It is surprising how much new stuff users find that developers never do.
    You put a copy in front of a normal user and they find all these bugs that
    you would think developers would find. The real users and developers are
    completely different species as far as I am concerned.
    --Linux creator Linus Torvalds

  4. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:15:01 -0700
    Bill Campbell wrote:

    > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008, ERACC wrote:
    > >Hi folks,
    > >
    > >Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of
    > >*locate for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and
    > >ftp2.sco.com and can only find
    > >ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so far. I have not
    > >even tried to "shoehorn" this OSR600 version onto OSR507 as I expect it to
    > >not work if I do. Is there a *locate for OSR507 that I am overlooking? If
    > >so, where can I find the beast? TIA.

    > On many systems ``locate'' is in the gnu findutils package. I
    > can't say where it is on SCO as I have always built it myself.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks, Bill. I will get that from the FTP site and see if locate is included.
    If it is in there then I think it is odd there is a separate locate for OSR600.

    As for building it myself, would you have a URL for instructions on that with
    OSR507? I would be willing to give it a shot if I have some guide to read and
    follow.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5k7bbc
    'More About Mandriva Linux Upgrades'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  5. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 15:12:06 -0400
    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:

    > ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 01:14:31PM -0500):
    > | Hi folks,
    > |
    > | Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of
    > | *locate for OSR507 with no success.[...]
    >
    > I do believe it is included in gnutools-5.0.7Kj, which you can download
    > from ftp.sco.com

    Thanks, Jean-Pierre. I will download that and check it out.

    Gene (e-mail: usenet0 \a\t eracc \d\o\t com)
    blog.eracc.com latest article: http://preview.tinyurl.com/5k7bbc
    'More About Mandriva Linux Upgrades'
    Got Rute? http://www.anrdoezrs.net/email-25465...sbn=0130333514
    ERA Computers & Consulting - http://www.eracc.com/
    Preloaded PCs - eComStation, Linux, FreeBSD, OpenServer & UnixWare

  6. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:26:22PM -0500):
    | On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:15:01 -0700
    | Bill Campbell wrote:
    |
    | > On Fri, Jul 18, 2008, ERACC wrote:
    | > >Hi folks,
    | > >
    | > >Long time, no read here. I have been looking for a SCO custom install of
    | > >*locate for OSR507 with no success. I have been all over ftp.sco.com and
    | > >ftp2.sco.com and can only find
    | > >ftp2.sco.com/skunkware/osr6/vols/slocate-2.7Sa-VOLS.cpio so far. I have not
    | > >even tried to "shoehorn" this OSR600 version onto OSR507 as I expect it to
    | > >not work if I do. Is there a *locate for OSR507 that I am overlooking? If
    | > >so, where can I find the beast? TIA.
    | >
    | > On many systems ``locate'' is in the gnu findutils package. I
    | > can't say where it is on SCO as I have always built it myself.
    | >
    | > Bill
    |
    | Thanks, Bill. I will get that from the FTP site and see if locate is included.
    | If it is in there then I think it is odd there is a separate locate for OSR600.
    |
    | As for building it myself, would you have a URL for instructions on that with
    | OSR507? I would be willing to give it a shot if I have some guide to read and
    | follow.

    Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?

    --
    JP

  7. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:26:22PM -0500):
    > | On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:15:01 -0700
    > | Bill Campbell wrote:

    > | > On many systems ``locate'' is in the gnu findutils package. I
    > | > can't say where it is on SCO as I have always built it myself.
    > | >
    > | > Bill
    > |
    > | Thanks, Bill. I will get that from the FTP site and see if locate is included.
    > | If it is in there then I think it is odd there is a separate locate for OSR600.
    > |
    > | As for building it myself, would you have a URL for instructions on that with
    > | OSR507? I would be willing to give it a shot if I have some guide to read and
    > | follow.
    >
    > Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    > 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?

    Isn't it in gnutools for OSR 5.0.7? It's certainly on the antique Skunkware
    2000 CD image.

  8. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:14:38PM -0400):
    > ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:26:22PM -0500):
    > | On Fri, 18 Jul 2008 12:15:01 -0700
    > | Bill Campbell wrote:

    > | > On many systems ``locate'' is in the gnu findutils package. I
    > | > can't say where it is on SCO as I have always built it myself.
    > | >
    > | > Bill
    > |
    > | Thanks, Bill. I will get that from the FTP site and see if locate is included.
    > | If it is in there then I think it is odd there is a separate locate for OSR600.
    > |
    > | As for building it myself, would you have a URL for instructions on that with
    > | OSR507? I would be willing to give it a shot if I have some guide to read and
    > | follow.
    >
    > Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    > 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?
    >
    > --
    > JP

    every SCO system has a compiler, no? Else, how you re-link the
    kernel?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  9. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On Sat, Jul 19, 2008, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:14:38PM -0400):

    >> Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    >> 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?

    >every SCO system has a compiler, no? Else, how you re-link the
    >kernel?

    The basic OSR systems have something that is sufficient to link new
    kernels, but it is minimal, and not adequate for real development.

    The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    system. There is also a development system on the CD (at least it's on it
    for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    The Constitution is a written instrument. As such, its meaning
    does not alter. That which it meant when it was adopted, it
    means now. -- SOUTH CAROLINA v. US, 199 U.S. 437, 448 (1905)

  10. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:14:38PM -0400):
    >> ERACC typed (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 02:26:22PM -0500):

    >> | Thanks, Bill. I will get that from the FTP site and see if locate is included.
    >> | If it is in there then I think it is odd there is a separate locate for OSR600.
    >> |
    >> | As for building it myself, would you have a URL for instructions on that with
    >> | OSR507? I would be willing to give it a shot if I have some guide to read and
    >> | follow.
    >>
    >> Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    >> 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?
    >>
    >> --
    >> JP

    > every SCO system has a compiler, no? Else, how you re-link the
    > kernel?

    It's extremely limited. Also, 'relinking a kernel' may not involve full
    compilation: it can involve simply using 'ld' to assemble binary components,
    although I'm not sure how SCO does it.

  11. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:14:38PM -0400):

    >>> Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    >>> 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?

    >> every SCO system has a compiler, no? Else, how you re-link the
    >> kernel?

    > The basic OSR systems have something that is sufficient to link new
    > kernels, but it is minimal, and not adequate for real development.
    >
    > The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    > libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    > this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    > system. There is also a development system on the CD (at least it's on it
    > for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).
    >
    > Bill

    Don't install that development system if you don't have a license!!! Instead,
    install gcc (preferably from the gnutools poackage, at least for 5.0.6 and
    5.0.7), and don't leave the clutter of an unusable compiler around to confuse
    your configuration tools.

  12. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sat, Jul 19, 2008, N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote (on Fri, Jul 18, 2008 at 04:14:38PM -0400):

    >>> Fetch the source code for findutils; odds are then you need to then type
    >>> 'configure', then 'make'. You do have a compiler, yes?

    >> every SCO system has a compiler, no? Else, how you re-link the
    >> kernel?

    > The basic OSR systems have something that is sufficient to link new
    > kernels, but it is minimal, and not adequate for real development.
    >
    > The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    > libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    > this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    > system. There is also a development system on the CD (at least it's on it
    > for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).
    >
    > Bill

    Don't install that development system if you don't have a license!!! Instead,
    install gcc (preferably from the gnutools poackage, at least for 5.0.6 and
    5.0.7), and don't leave the clutter of an unusable compiler around to confuse
    your configuration tools.

  13. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On 2008-07-20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Don't install that development system if you don't have a license!!! Instead,
    > install gcc (preferably from the gnutools poackage, at least for 5.0.6 and
    > 5.0.7), and don't leave the clutter of an unusable compiler around to confuse
    > your configuration tools.

    He wasn't talking about the devsys. There is a separate package
    there too typically containing the headers, libraries, linker and
    assembler. It's all included by default if you install the devsys
    but is available separately for if you don't have a devsys licence.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  14. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On 22 Jul, 13:33, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
    > On 2008-07-20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > Don't install that development system if you don't have a license!!! Instead,
    > > install gcc (preferably from the gnutools poackage, at least for 5.0.6 and
    > > 5.0.7), and don't leave the clutter of an unusable compiler around to confuse
    > > your configuration tools.

    > He wasn't talking about the devsys. *There is a separate package
    > there too typically containing the headers, libraries, linker and
    > assembler. *It's all included by default if you install the devsys
    > but is available separately for if you don't have a devsys licence.

    Andrew, I have to quote Bill Campbell here:

    > The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    > libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    > this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    > system. There is also a development system on the CD (at least it's on it
    > for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).

    Yes, he *was* talking about the devsys, at least in that last
    sentence. That's what I was saying not to install if you don't have a
    license.

  15. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >On 22 Jul, 13:33, Andrew Smallshaw wrote:
    >> On 2008-07-20, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>
    >> > Don't install that development system if you don't have a license!!! Instead,
    >> > install gcc (preferably from the gnutools poackage, at least for 5.0.6 and
    >> > 5.0.7), and don't leave the clutter of an unusable compiler around to confuse
    >> > your configuration tools.

    >> He wasn't talking about the devsys. *There is a separate package
    >> there too typically containing the headers, libraries, linker and
    >> assembler. *It's all included by default if you install the devsys
    >> but is available separately for if you don't have a devsys licence.

    >Andrew, I have to quote Bill Campbell here:
    >
    >> The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    >> libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    >> this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    >> system. There is also a development system on the CD (at least it's on it
    >> for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).

    >Yes, he *was* talking about the devsys, at least in that last
    >sentence. That's what I was saying not to install if you don't have a
    >license.

    Yup, and I forgot to say that it required a license.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of
    their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or
    so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    -James Madison, Federalist Paper #62

  16. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On 23 Jul, 03:44, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 22, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > >> He wasn't talking about the devsys. *There is a separate package
    > >> there too typically containing the headers, libraries, linker and
    > >> assembler. *It's all included by default if you install the devsys
    > >> but is available separately for if you don't have a devsys licence.

    > >Andrew, I have to quote Bill Campbell here:

    > >> The installation CD has a package consisting of the normal C headers and
    > >> libraries necessary for gcc, and perhaps other compilers to function, and
    > >> this installs without any licensing beyond that necessary for the base
    > >> system. *There is also a development system on the CD (at least it'son it
    > >> for OSR versions <= 5.0.6a, the latest I have installed).

    > >Yes, he *was* talking about the devsys, at least in that last
    > >sentence. That's what I was saying not to install if you don't have a
    > >license.

    > Yup, and I forgot to say that it required a license.
    >
    > Bill

    Thanks. I don't mean to snark at Andrew, I just hate to be called
    wrong or confused when I was in fact reading carefully. Such confusion
    is easy to have happen.

  17. Re: A locate, slocate, mlocate for OSR507?

    On 2008-07-25, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Thanks. I don't mean to snark at Andrew, I just hate to be called
    > wrong or confused when I was in fact reading carefully. Such confusion
    > is easy to have happen.

    I didn't interpret it in any hostile manner. It seemed to me that
    the main thrust of Bill's post was not about the devsys, although
    he did mention it explicitly.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org