SCO Virtual Disk Manager Recovery - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Virtual Disk Manager Recovery - SCO ; Okay....I know it's ancient architecture, etc. This box is no longer even active, BUT there is some data on it that I really need and it's the only place I can think of where to get it. (Legacy application here) ...

  1. SCO Virtual Disk Manager Recovery

    Okay....I know it's ancient architecture, etc. This box is no longer
    even active, BUT there is some data on it that I really need and it's
    the only place I can think of where to get it.
    (Legacy application here)

    So, I have an old Dell PowerEdge running 5.0.4. From my recollection,
    it has 2 mirrored drives setup for root/boot and it has 3 separate
    data drives setup with the /u filesystem.

    The problem is the system won't boot because the 1st drive is getting
    the dreaded Seagate Failed Unit Response message....which I know
    indicates the drive is not spinning, etc.

    My question is.....IF I do a re-install on this same server of the OS
    and install VDM, is there a way to mount the 3 drives that were
    created using VDM that have the data on them?

    I'm not sure what RAID level those 3 drives were built using, my guess
    would be probably 3 drives striped, etc. but I don't know for sure.
    To my knowledge, those drives are good.

    Alternatively, and probably less probable, is there a way to take any
    of the single drives of those 3 and 'mount' them on another system?
    (with or without VDM installed on this other system) I have several
    other SCO boxes that I can use for this.

    Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc? I do really need to get this
    data as apparently there is no backup of this stuff (go figure!)

    If anyone has suggestions, please be somewhat 'step-by-step' since
    I've only worked with VDM sparingly.

    Thanks

    Scott
    sullmann@telespectrum.com

  2. Re: SCO Virtual Disk Manager Recovery

    On Jul 17, 11:00 pm, scooter wrote:
    > Okay....I know it's ancient architecture, etc. This box is no longer
    > even active, BUT there is some data on it that I really need and it's
    > the only place I can think of where to get it.
    > (Legacy application here)
    >
    > So, I have an old Dell PowerEdge running 5.0.4. From my recollection,
    > it has 2 mirrored drives setup for root/boot and it has 3 separate
    > data drives setup with the /u filesystem.
    >
    > The problem is the system won't boot because the 1st drive is getting
    > the dreaded Seagate Failed Unit Response message....which I know
    > indicates the drive is not spinning, etc.
    >
    > My question is.....IF I do a re-install on this same server of the OS
    > and install VDM, is there a way to mount the 3 drives that were
    > created using VDM that have the data on them?
    >
    > I'm not sure what RAID level those 3 drives were built using, my guess
    > would be probably 3 drives striped, etc. but I don't know for sure.
    > To my knowledge, those drives are good.
    >
    > Alternatively, and probably less probable, is there a way to take any
    > of the single drives of those 3 and 'mount' them on another system?
    > (with or without VDM installed on this other system) I have several
    > other SCO boxes that I can use for this.
    >
    > Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions, etc? I do really need to get this
    > data as apparently there is no backup of this stuff (go figure!)
    >
    > If anyone has suggestions, please be somewhat 'step-by-step' since
    > I've only worked with VDM sparingly.
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Scott
    > sullm...@telespectrum.com

    Hi Scott,

    I had a similar problem, but it was 10 years ago. I can't remember
    enough
    to give you a step-by-step.

    I suspected the VDM raid 5 array was good,
    but the system wouldn't boot. I physically write-protected the raid 5
    drives
    by moving a jumper. I reinstalled SCO. I re-made the array with
    whatever
    VDM tools SCO provides. This process complained because the drives
    were
    write-protected. But the array was available after shutdown/write-
    enable/startup.

    ISTR that this was a 30-hour day.

    Good luck on it,
    Dan