LPD Printer Stopped Working - SCO

This is a discussion on LPD Printer Stopped Working - SCO ; Using Openserver 6 with latest MP and patches. I had a perfectly working Xerox Document Center printer installed and now all of a sudden it stopped working. What happens is this: when I send it a print job (long or ...

  1. LPD Printer Stopped Working

    Using Openserver 6 with latest MP and patches. I had a perfectly
    working Xerox Document Center printer installed and now all of a
    sudden it stopped working. What happens is this: when I send it a
    print job (long or short) it appears to work but when I look in /var/
    spool/lpd/xerox to see the job it isn't there. The .seq increases but
    no job ever prints. I have deleted the printer, re-installed it,
    renamed it, etc.

    I can ping it on the network and windows machines can print fine to
    it. I also have another Xerox on the network and it prints fine as
    well. I checked the printcap file and all looks ok and exactly like it
    was before. Tried using SCOADMIN to install as well as rlpconf to
    install but to no avail.

    Kinda lost on this one, anybody have any more ideas?

    Thanks in advance!

  2. Re: LPD Printer Stopped Working

    unixfox wrote:
    > Using Openserver 6 with latest MP and patches. I had a perfectly
    > working Xerox Document Center printer installed and now all of a
    > sudden it stopped working. What happens is this: when I send it a
    > print job (long or short) it appears to work but when I look in /var/
    > spool/lpd/xerox to see the job it isn't there. The .seq increases but
    > no job ever prints. I have deleted the printer, re-installed it,
    > renamed it, etc.
    >
    > I can ping it on the network and windows machines can print fine to
    > it. I also have another Xerox on the network and it prints fine as
    > well. I checked the printcap file and all looks ok and exactly like it
    > was before. Tried using SCOADMIN to install as well as rlpconf to
    > install but to no avail.
    >
    > Kinda lost on this one, anybody have any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    Could the Xerox been manually reconfigured to ignore the standard LPD
    port, or set to only print PLx or Postscript formatted streams?

    You should be able to telnet to the printer's IP to check the config.

    Also check on an option to auto add CR's on LF's - it may have been set
    to do the auto CR but a reset removed it, so you would get a stair
    stepping effect, and most of the job walks off the right edge of the paper.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: LPD Printer Stopped Working

    unixfox wrote:
    > Using Openserver 6 with latest MP and patches. I had a perfectly
    > working Xerox Document Center printer installed and now all of a
    > sudden it stopped working. What happens is this: when I send it a
    > print job (long or short) it appears to work but when I look in /var/
    > spool/lpd/xerox to see the job it isn't there. The .seq increases but
    > no job ever prints. I have deleted the printer, re-installed it,
    > renamed it, etc.
    >
    > I can ping it on the network and windows machines can print fine to
    > it. I also have another Xerox on the network and it prints fine as
    > well. I checked the printcap file and all looks ok and exactly like it
    > was before. Tried using SCOADMIN to install as well as rlpconf to
    > install but to no avail.
    >
    > Kinda lost on this one, anybody have any more ideas?
    >
    > Thanks in advance!

    What does `lpstat printername` say?

    One way to test an LPD printer is ...
    telnet printershostnameoripaddress 515
    queuename

    Where is the single character produced by pressing D whilst
    holding down the Ctrl key. The queuename "auto" is often usable for HP
    printers but I've no experience of Xerox printers.

    --
    RGB

+ Reply to Thread