VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems - SCO

This is a discussion on VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems - SCO ; Hi, Sorry all, another VMWare question here! I've been trying without success for a couple of days to get a SCO VM system running. I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of Linux based systems which do work ...

  1. VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems

    Hi,

    Sorry all, another VMWare question here!

    I've been trying without success for a couple of days
    to get a SCO VM system running.

    I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of
    Linux based systems which do work fine.

    The problem is quite weird.

    Basically, once booted I can "see out", from the
    SCO box - ping websites, telnet to other local machines
    etc...

    In addition from the machine running the VM I can telnet
    in, browse served Apache pages etc...

    Problems start when I attempt to connect from other machines
    on the network - they can ping the SCO VM system, but can't
    telnet in, or for example Apache doesn't serve pages.

    It's not completely broken because there is some evidence of
    a connection on the SCO end, eg. when I telnet I see this :-

    Trying 10.80.14.205...
    Connected to 10.80.14.205 (10.80.14.205).
    Escape character is '^]'.
    Connection closed by foreign host.

    If I try to browse an Apache page (default Apache 5.0.7 setup,
    haven't done anything with it yet) I do see the connection in
    access_log but nothing gets returned.

    It strikes of network issues - but as I say I can ping the box
    and can also telnet out from it. Plus the Linux servers work
    fine - I've tried everything on DHCP and the Linux servers
    work fine but not the SCO 5.0.7 one. I've just done a clean
    install of 5.0.7 to try and resolve the issue.

    Anyone any pointers?

    I'm using the default (auto detected) HW AMD PCNet-PCI
    adapter.

    Cheers,

    Stuart.

  2. Re: VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems

    Stuart Marshall wrote (on Wed, Jul 09, 2008 at 02:30:51PM +0100):
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry all, another VMWare question here!
    >
    > I've been trying without success for a couple of days
    > to get a SCO VM system running.
    >
    > I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of
    > Linux based systems which do work fine.
    >
    > The problem is quite weird.
    >
    > Basically, once booted I can "see out", from the
    > SCO box - ping websites, telnet to other local machines
    > etc...
    >
    > In addition from the machine running the VM I can telnet
    > in, browse served Apache pages etc...
    >
    > Problems start when I attempt to connect from other machines
    > on the network - they can ping the SCO VM system, but can't
    > telnet in, or for example Apache doesn't serve pages.
    >
    > It's not completely broken because there is some evidence of
    > a connection on the SCO end, eg. when I telnet I see this :-
    >
    > Trying 10.80.14.205...
    > Connected to 10.80.14.205 (10.80.14.205).
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >
    > If I try to browse an Apache page (default Apache 5.0.7 setup,
    > haven't done anything with it yet) I do see the connection in
    > access_log but nothing gets returned.
    >
    > It strikes of network issues - but as I say I can ping the box
    > and can also telnet out from it. Plus the Linux servers work
    > fine - I've tried everything on DHCP and the Linux servers
    > work fine but not the SCO 5.0.7 one. I've just done a clean
    > install of 5.0.7 to try and resolve the issue.
    >
    > Anyone any pointers?
    >
    > I'm using the default (auto detected) HW AMD PCNet-PCI
    > adapter.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Stuart.

    dunno if it's your problem, but i had the same thing: i forget to
    set the default route (gateway) on the SCO box. So, I had, basically,
    half-formed connections.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  3. Re: VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems

    On Wed, Jul 09, 2008, Stuart Marshall wrote:
    >Hi,
    >
    >Sorry all, another VMWare question here!
    >
    >I've been trying without success for a couple of days
    >to get a SCO VM system running.
    >
    >I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of
    >Linux based systems which do work fine.
    >
    >The problem is quite weird.
    >
    >Basically, once booted I can "see out", from the
    >SCO box - ping websites, telnet to other local machines
    >etc...
    >
    >In addition from the machine running the VM I can telnet
    >in, browse served Apache pages etc...
    >
    >Problems start when I attempt to connect from other machines
    >on the network - they can ping the SCO VM system, but can't
    >telnet in, or for example Apache doesn't serve pages.
    >
    >It's not completely broken because there is some evidence of
    >a connection on the SCO end, eg. when I telnet I see this :-
    >
    >Trying 10.80.14.205...
    >Connected to 10.80.14.205 (10.80.14.205).
    >Escape character is '^]'.
    >Connection closed by foreign host.

    If your default route is set correctly so that you can get to IP
    addresses on the Internet, then it has to be either a security
    setting (e.g. /etc/hosts.allow or /etc/hosts.deny with libwrap)
    or your (x)inetd is not allowing these services.

    I have never used SCO 5.0.7 or higher so don't know how it comes
    configured by default, but no sane system these days will allow
    unrestricted telnet access out of the box.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Liberals love to say things like, 'We're just asking everyone to pay
    their fair share.' But government is not about asking. It is about telling.
    The difference is fundamental. It is the difference between making love and
    being raped, between working for a living and being a slave.
    Dr. Thomas Sowell, Forbes, July 1994

  4. Re: VMWare Server + SCO 5.0.7 networking problems

    Stuart Marshall wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Sorry all, another VMWare question here!
    >
    > I've been trying without success for a couple of days
    > to get a SCO VM system running.
    >
    > I'm using VMWare Server which also has a couple of
    > Linux based systems which do work fine.
    >
    > The problem is quite weird.
    >
    > Basically, once booted I can "see out", from the
    > SCO box - ping websites, telnet to other local machines
    > etc...
    >
    > In addition from the machine running the VM I can telnet
    > in, browse served Apache pages etc...
    >
    > Problems start when I attempt to connect from other machines
    > on the network - they can ping the SCO VM system, but can't
    > telnet in, or for example Apache doesn't serve pages.
    >
    > It's not completely broken because there is some evidence of
    > a connection on the SCO end, eg. when I telnet I see this :-
    >
    > Trying 10.80.14.205...
    > Connected to 10.80.14.205 (10.80.14.205).
    > Escape character is '^]'.
    > Connection closed by foreign host.
    >
    > If I try to browse an Apache page (default Apache 5.0.7 setup,
    > haven't done anything with it yet) I do see the connection in
    > access_log but nothing gets returned.
    >
    > It strikes of network issues - but as I say I can ping the box
    > and can also telnet out from it. Plus the Linux servers work
    > fine - I've tried everything on DHCP and the Linux servers
    > work fine but not the SCO 5.0.7 one. I've just done a clean
    > install of 5.0.7 to try and resolve the issue.
    >
    > Anyone any pointers?
    >
    > I'm using the default (auto detected) HW AMD PCNet-PCI
    > adapter.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Stuart.

    How do you have the vmware network connection set, bridged, NAT or host
    only? Bridged is what you want if you want the sco guest OS to be
    visible to other PCs beside the host OS. Nat is going to "hide" your sco
    vm from others on your network. Could also be a missing default gateway
    on the sco vm perhaps?

    Glenn

+ Reply to Thread