WORD.doc to ascii - SCO

This is a discussion on WORD.doc to ascii - SCO ; Hello, Is there a SCO program that will convert MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ? TIA, - Jeff H...

  1. WORD.doc to ascii

    Hello,

    Is there a SCO program that will convert
    MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?

    TIA,
    - Jeff H

  2. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    Jeff Hyman typed (on Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 04:18:31PM -0400):
    | Hello,
    |
    | Is there a SCO program that will convert
    | MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?

    I use antiword.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    On Tue, Jul 08, 2008, Jeffrey Hyman wrote:
    >Hello,
    >
    >Is there a SCO program that will convert
    >MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?

    We use antiword which is open source.

    I have not tried building it on SCO though.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    The question is, why are politicians so eager to be president? What is
    it about the job that makes it worth revealing, on national television,
    that you have the ethical standards of a slime-coated piece of
    industrial waste? -- Dave Barry, "On Presidential Politics"

  4. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    On Jul 8, 4:18 pm, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > Is there a SCO program that will convert
    > MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?
    >
    > TIA,
    > - Jeff H

    I just save the Word doc as text.
    SB

  5. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 04:35:27PM -0400):
    | Jeff Hyman typed (on Tue, Jul 08, 2008 at 04:18:31PM -0400):
    | | Hello,
    | |
    | | Is there a SCO program that will convert
    | | MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?
    | |

    | I use antiword.
    | JP

    JP,

    Thanks to both you and Bill. I didn't want you to think I didn't
    appreciate the reply.

    - Jeff H

  6. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    SteveB typed (on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:42:19PM -0700):
    | On Jul 8, 4:18 pm, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    | > Hello,
    | >
    | > Is there a SCO program that will convert
    | > MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?
    | >
    | > TIA,
    | > - Jeff H
    |
    | I just save the Word doc as text.
    | SB

    Windows XP
    MS-WORD 2007

    Where (exactly) from within MS-WORD is the option to unload to "ascii"
    format? Maybe the problem is what I expect the output to be. To me,
    ASCII is plain ol' text without all the back-space characters, escape
    characters, "=20" characters, tabs or anything other then ascii text.

    - Jeff H

  7. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > SteveB typed (on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:42:19PM -0700):
    > | On Jul 8, 4:18 pm, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > | > Hello,
    > | >
    > | > Is there a SCO program that will convert
    > | > MS-WORD .doc documents to ascii ?
    > | >
    > | > TIA,
    > | > - Jeff H
    > |
    > | I just save the Word doc as text.
    > | SB
    >
    > Windows XP
    > MS-WORD 2007
    >
    > Where (exactly) from within MS-WORD is the option to unload to "ascii"
    > format? Maybe the problem is what I expect the output to be. To me,
    > ASCII is plain ol' text without all the back-space characters, escape
    > characters, "=20" characters, tabs or anything other then ascii text.

    Usually "Text Only (*.txt)" or "Text Only with Line Breaks (*.txt)", in
    "File->Save As->Save As Type:" box.

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not
    - Barry Humphries

  8. Re: WORD.doc to ascii

    Gary R. Schmidt wrote:
    > Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >> SteveB typed (on Wed, Jul 16, 2008 at 12:42:19PM -0700):

    >> | SB
    >>
    >> Windows XP
    >> MS-WORD 2007
    >>
    >> Where (exactly) from within MS-WORD is the option to unload to "ascii"
    >> format? Maybe the problem is what I expect the output to be. To me,
    >> ASCII is plain ol' text without all the back-space characters, escape
    >> characters, "=20" characters, tabs or anything other then ascii text.
    >>

    > Usually "Text Only (*.txt)" or "Text Only with Line Breaks (*.txt)", in
    > "File->Save As->Save As Type:" box.

    Whoops, on Word 2007 it's "[Floppy Disk Icon]->Save as type: Plain Text
    (*.txt)"

    Cheers,
    Gary B-)

    whether you were up them with or not