How to mount second HDD - SCO

This is a discussion on How to mount second HDD - SCO ; Hi all, I'm rather new to SCO so I hope someone can help me with this question. I have OSR5.0.5 with one IDE HDD as a master and I want to temporarily add a second IDE as a slave to ...

  1. How to mount second HDD

    Hi all,

    I'm rather new to SCO so I hope someone can help me with this question.

    I have OSR5.0.5 with one IDE HDD as a master and I want to temporarily add a
    second IDE as a slave to copy some data from it. Can someone please let me
    know how I can do this?

    TIA

    Greg

  2. Re: How to mount second HDD

    On Thu, Jul 03, 2008, Greg Hines wrote:
    >Hi all,
    >
    >I'm rather new to SCO so I hope someone can help me with this question.
    >
    >I have OSR5.0.5 with one IDE HDD as a master and I want to temporarily add a
    >second IDE as a slave to copy some data from it. Can someone please let me
    >know how I can do this?

    The command you want is ``mkdev hd'' which will guide you through
    the steps equivalent to fdisk on Linux systems. SCO's disk
    structure is closer to FreeBSD than Linux in that it handles
    partitions as FreeBSD does slices with sco using ``divvy'' to
    break a slice into individual file systems.

    I have never used IDE hard drives with any SCO system, always
    using SCSI. With SCSI drives one has to run ``mkdev hd'' twice,
    the first time to configure the kernel to see the SCSI-ID, the
    second to handle partitioning and divvy.

    Presumably the disk you want to mount is from another SCO system,
    and will already have a partition sliced with divvy. In this
    case one has te be very careful not to overwrite existing file
    systems. The partitioning stage will require nothing but to quit
    without changing anything. The divvy stage where one defines the
    file system will require that you name the partition(s) you want
    to mount. The naming process creates the appropriate devices
    (e.g. if you name a partion ``home'' it creates ``/dev/home''.

    The final step, if I remember correctly, is ``mkdev filesys''
    which creates the entry in /etc/default/filesys, analagous to
    /etc/fstab on Linux, with the mounting information. You can edit
    this manually to create new file systems if you're careful.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Thou shalt not steal, except by majority vote.

  3. Re: How to mount second HDD

    "Bill Campbell" wrote in message

    > The command you want is ``mkdev hd'' which will guide you through
    > the steps equivalent to fdisk on Linux systems. SCO's disk
    > structure is closer to FreeBSD than Linux in that it handles
    > partitions as FreeBSD does slices with sco using ``divvy'' to
    > break a slice into individual file systems.
    >
    > I have never used IDE hard drives with any SCO system, always
    > using SCSI. With SCSI drives one has to run ``mkdev hd'' twice,
    > the first time to configure the kernel to see the SCSI-ID, the
    > second to handle partitioning and divvy.
    >
    > Presumably the disk you want to mount is from another SCO system,
    > and will already have a partition sliced with divvy. In this
    > case one has te be very careful not to overwrite existing file
    > systems. The partitioning stage will require nothing but to quit
    > without changing anything. The divvy stage where one defines the
    > file system will require that you name the partition(s) you want
    > to mount. The naming process creates the appropriate devices
    > (e.g. if you name a partion ``home'' it creates ``/dev/home''.
    >
    > The final step, if I remember correctly, is ``mkdev filesys''
    > which creates the entry in /etc/default/filesys, analagous to
    > /etc/fstab on Linux, with the mounting information. You can edit
    > this manually to create new file systems if you're careful.
    >
    > Bill

    Yes, this is indeed a HDD that's already partitioned with several
    partitions. So from what you said you just cannot mount it like a CDROM and
    read its data. Darn.....

    I'll try your steps and see how I go, just hope I don't duke the files on
    this second HDD.

    Thanks Bill.

  4. Re: How to mount second HDD

    On 3 Jul, 07:32, "Greg Hines"
    wrote:
    > "Bill Campbell" wrote in message

    > > The command you want is ``mkdev hd'' which will guide you through
    > > the steps equivalent to fdisk on Linux systems. *SCO's disk
    > > structure is closer to FreeBSD than Linux in that it handles
    > > partitions as FreeBSD does slices with sco using ``divvy'' to
    > > break a slice into individual file systems.

    > > I have never used IDE hard drives with any SCO system, always
    > > using SCSI. *With SCSI drives one has to run ``mkdev hd'' twice,
    > > the first time to configure the kernel to see the SCSI-ID, the
    > > second to handle partitioning and divvy.

    > > Presumably the disk you want to mount is from another SCO system,
    > > and will already have a partition sliced with divvy. *In this
    > > case one has te be very careful not to overwrite existing file
    > > systems. *The partitioning stage will require nothing but to quit
    > > without changing anything. *The divvy stage where one defines the
    > > file system will require that you name the partition(s) you want
    > > to mount. *The naming process creates the appropriate devices
    > > (e.g. if you name a partion ``home'' it creates ``/dev/home''.

    > > The final step, if I remember correctly, is ``mkdev filesys''
    > > which creates the entry in /etc/default/filesys, analagous to
    > > /etc/fstab on Linux, with the mounting information. *You can edit
    > > this manually to create new file systems if you're careful.

    > > Bill

    > Yes, this is indeed a HDD that's already partitioned with several
    > partitions. *So from what you said you just cannot mount it like a CDROM and
    > read its data. *Darn.....
    >
    > I'll try your steps and see how I go, just hope I don't duke the files on
    > this second HDD.
    >
    > Thanks Bill.

    Make a backup of the files from the second drive, elsewhere. If
    nothing else, put the drive on another box, boot it with a Knoppix
    live CD, and image the file elsewhere with 'dd if=[whaterver]
    of=[network mounted directory]'. Since drives are cheap, and so is a
    VMware Workstation setup, you could use this to build a virtual
    environment and work with snapshot copies of the hard drive. I'm
    keeping image snapshots of decommissioned machines around for
    precisely this purpose.
    .

  5. Re: How to mount second HDD

    > Yes, this is indeed a HDD that's already partitioned with several
    > partitions. *So from what you said you just cannot mount it like a CDROM and
    > read its data. *Darn.....

    Once you have prepared the OS to handle 1)the hard drive by creating
    the /dev/hd1x (7 entries) in the first step and after reboot 2)the
    divisions within that hard drive by creating the /dev/dxxx (default)
    or /dev/yournames (naming the divisions through divvy) for the
    separate divisions you mount them exactly like you mount the CDROM
    once you decide where you want them to appear.

    The divvy table created in the 2nd step uses default names for each
    entry but you can change it to match the names on the hard drive to
    make things easier to work with. If possible I create a mount
    directory to match the divvy table entry to help keep track of where I
    am working in the system.
    An example: mount /dev/backup /backup puts my backup drive (single FS)
    into my directory structure.

    You don't need to run the mkdev fs unless you want to automatically
    mount the new divisions.

    Once you have the hard drive available but before you have built the
    divvy table you can see your second hard drive divisions by divvy /dev/
    hd1a.

  6. Re: How to mount second HDD

    Many thanks, it's appreciated.

    Greg