WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System - SCO

This is a discussion on WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System - SCO ; If anyone has an old SCO 5.0.6 Development system w/ license laying around, I would be interested in buying it. Please post here if you can help me out. TY...

  1. WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    If anyone has an old SCO 5.0.6 Development system w/ license laying
    around, I would be interested in buying it. Please post here if you
    can help me out.

    TY

  2. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    On Jun 24, 8:13 am, albra...@gmail.com wrote:
    > If anyone has an old SCO 5.0.6 Development system w/ license laying
    > around, I would be interested in buying it. Please post here if you
    > can help me out.
    >
    > TY

    Why not SCO 5.0.6 Free ?

    It's a free and full featured option: Networking, X, Development
    System, multiple console logins, etc ...

  3. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    On 2008-06-25, Helio wrote:

    > Why not SCO 5.0.6 Free ?
    >
    > It's a free and full featured option: Networking, X, Development
    > System, multiple console logins, etc ...

    For non-commerical use only. Added to that new licences haven't
    been available for years - the free version was cancelled not long
    after Caldera bought it.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  4. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    On Jun 25, 10:01*am, Andrew Smallshaw
    wrote:
    > On 2008-06-25, Helio wrote:
    >

    > > Why not SCO 5.0.6 Free ?

    > > It's a free and full featured option: Networking, X, Development
    > > System, multiple console logins, etc ...

    > For non-commerical use only. *Added to that new licences haven't
    > been available for years - the free version was cancelled not long
    > after Caldera bought it.
    >
    > --
    > Andrew Smallshaw
    > andr...@sdf.lonestar.org

    Thanks Andrew, for confirming what I thought was the case. I'm sure
    there are people here who have a copy collecting dust on a shelf
    somewhere. I have a 5.0.4 and a 5.0.7 copy myself, but my client needs
    5.0.6.

    Al

  5. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    On Jun 25, 10:28*pm, AB wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 10:01*am, Andrew Smallshaw
    > wrote:
    >

    > > On 2008-06-25, Helio wrote:

    > > > Why not SCO 5.0.6 Free ?

    > > > It's a free and full featured option: Networking, X, Development
    > > > System, multiple console logins, etc ...

    > > For non-commerical use only. *Added to that new licences haven't
    > > been available for years - the free version was cancelled not long
    > > after Caldera bought it.

    > > --
    > > Andrew Smallshaw
    > > andr...@sdf.lonestar.org

    > Thanks Andrew, for confirming what I thought was the case. I'm sure
    > there are people here who have a copy collecting dust on a shelf
    > somewhere. I have a 5.0.4 and a 5.0.7 copy myself, but my client needs
    > 5.0.6.
    >
    > Al- Hide quoted text -

    My company has a 5.0.6 development system plus official licence
    paperwork - please e-mail me directly to discuss

  6. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    albracco@gmail.com wrote:
    > If anyone has an old SCO 5.0.6 Development system w/ license laying
    > around, I would be interested in buying it. Please post here if you
    > can help me out.

    Are you going to buy a license for a product that is NOT supported?
    5.0.7 is still supported (last time I checked), but not so 5.0.6.

    When you sell to a client some unsupported kit, you usually end up being
    the one to support it, with no escalation path available... Not very
    nice situation to be in.

  7. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    James_Szabadics wrote:
    > On Jun 25, 10:28 pm, AB wrote:
    >> On Jun 25, 10:01 am, Andrew Smallshaw
    >> wrote:

    >>> For non-commerical use only. Added to that new licences haven't
    >>> been available for years - the free version was cancelled not long
    >>> after Caldera bought it.
    >>> --
    >>> Andrew Smallshaw
    >>> andr...@sdf.lonestar.org

    >> Thanks Andrew, for confirming what I thought was the case. I'm sure
    >> there are people here who have a copy collecting dust on a shelf
    >> somewhere. I have a 5.0.4 and a 5.0.7 copy myself, but my client needs
    >> 5.0.6.
    >>
    >> Al- Hide quoted text -

    > My company has a 5.0.6 development system plus official licence
    > paperwork - please e-mail me directly to discuss

    If he doesn't want it, I could use one....

  8. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > James_Szabadics wrote:
    >
    >> On Jun 25, 10:28 pm, AB wrote:

    >>> Thanks Andrew, for confirming what I thought was the case. I'm sure
    >>> there are people here who have a copy collecting dust on a shelf
    >>> somewhere. I have a 5.0.4 and a 5.0.7 copy myself, but my client needs
    >>> 5.0.6.
    >>>
    >>> Al- Hide quoted text -

    >> My company has a 5.0.6 development system plus official licence
    >> paperwork - please e-mail me directly to discuss

    > If he doesn't want it, I could use one....

    What is that "it": the "develpment system" or the "licese"?

    I mean: do you specifically want to have the license, or do you perhaps
    want the development system to be unlocked and "just work"?

    I am curious about it... I could share some tips privately, maybe...

  9. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    Pepe wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> James_Szabadics wrote:

    >>> My company has a 5.0.6 development system plus official licence
    >>> paperwork - please e-mail me directly to discuss

    >> If he doesn't want it, I could use one....

    > What is that "it": the "develpment system" or the "licese"?
    >
    > I mean: do you specifically want to have the license, or do you perhaps
    > want the development system to be unlocked and "just work"?
    >
    > I am curious about it... I could share some tips privately, maybe...

    I want licenses for a development system. I want to install an additional
    license for SCO 5.0.6 and for the development tools, in a virtualized VMWare
    setup, while I'm doing migration work and until I can shut down the original
    development server.

  10. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > I want licenses for a development system. I want to install an
    > additional license for SCO 5.0.6 and for the development tools, in a
    > virtualized VMWare setup, while I'm doing migration work and until I can
    > shut down the original development server.

    If you need an additional development VM like the first VM, why not just
    clone the first development VM and be done with it? Or is it that your
    first VM is not a fully operational "development system" because it is
    lacking a license? It's not clear to me from your words, sorry.

    You know, a license and a working system can go hand in hand, but not
    necessarily...

  11. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    Pepe wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > > I want licenses for a development system. I want to install an
    >> additional license for SCO 5.0.6 and for the development tools, in a
    >> virtualized VMWare setup, while I'm doing migration work and until I
    >> can shut down the original development server.

    > If you need an additional development VM like the first VM, why not just
    > clone the first development VM and be done with it? Or is it that your
    > first VM is not a fully operational "development system" because it is
    > lacking a license? It's not clear to me from your words, sorry.
    >
    > You know, a license and a working system can go hand in hand, but not
    > necessarily...

    It's a violation of the license to install it on another system. This VM could
    be alive for months, while decommissioning the first system. So legally, I'd
    need another license.

  12. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Pepe wrote:
    >
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> > I want licenses for a development system. I want to install an

    >>> additional license for SCO 5.0.6 and for the development tools, in a
    >>> virtualized VMWare setup, while I'm doing migration work and until I
    >>> can shut down the original development server.

    >> If you need an additional development VM like the first VM, why not
    >> just clone the first development VM and be done with it? Or is it that
    >> your first VM is not a fully operational "development system" because
    >> it is lacking a license? It's not clear to me from your words, sorry.
    >>
    >> You know, a license and a working system can go hand in hand, but not
    >> necessarily...

    > It's a violation of the license to install it on another system. This VM
    > could be alive for months, while decommissioning the first system. So
    > legally, I'd need another license.

    There are many turns to that. A license is not a contract (no matter
    what they say). Also, a license may not be legally enforceable depending
    on jurisdiction.

    If you manage to get a copy without making such copy, you are only
    subject to vanilla copyright law and not to the license (because you did
    not enter into an agreement with said license). And copyright law,
    depending on jurisdiction, doesn't dictate "use", but only
    "reproduction", "communication" and "distribution". So depending on your
    particular case, you could "use" such a material obtained in such a
    way... YMMV.

  13. Re: WANTED: SCO 5.0.6 Development System

    On 4 Jul, 23:47, Pepe wrote:

    > There are many turns to that. A license is not a contract (no matter
    > what they say). Also, a license may not be legally enforceable depending
    > on jurisdiction.
    >
    > If you manage to get a copy without making such copy, you are only
    > subject to vanilla copyright law and not to the license (because you did
    > not enter into an agreement with said license). And copyright law,
    > depending on jurisdiction, doesn't dictate "use", but only
    > "reproduction", "communication" and "distribution". So depending on your
    > particular case, you could "use" such a material obtained in such a
    > way... YMMV.- Hide quoted text -

    Pepe, be *very* careful with such actions. SCO has shown themselves to
    be lawsuit happy. I'm not a lawyer, but whoever provides you cha a
    license may not have the rights to transfer the license: they could be
    in legal trouble, and you could be sued for receiving stolen goods or
    violating trade secrets, depending very much on the circumstances.
    Even if the lawsuit is baseless, it can get very nasty. (Witness the
    SCO lawsuits with AutoZone for examples.)

+ Reply to Thread