COFF vs ELF drivers - SCO

This is a discussion on COFF vs ELF drivers - SCO ; (Thanks for everyone's help so far with LD and GCC threads.) Had a OSR502 system die. We were not able to find a (unscrathed) 502 disk to reinstall, but were able to put on 505. I thought I had found ...

  1. COFF vs ELF drivers

    (Thanks for everyone's help so far with LD and GCC threads.)

    Had a OSR502 system die. We were not able to find a (unscrathed) 502
    disk to reinstall, but were able to put on 505.

    I thought I had found the proper driver disk for a Equinox Megaport
    card, but get this when I try to install/load it:
    idinstall: Driver.o is wrong type (not i386 executable)

    Based on searching around, this led me to thinking that the problem was
    that the driver was a ELF version, when it needs to be a COFF one:

    # file Driver.o
    Driver.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable 80386

    Has anything changed from 502 to 505 regarding the version used for drivers?

    The driver I had was "2.00". I managed to find "2.24" online, but when
    I uncompress and look at the contents, I get the same "ELF" version result.

    Does "STREAMS" have anything to do with ELF vs COFF? That's one thing
    we couldn't remember: if there was 2 driver disks (one STREAMS driver,
    and one "regular" one).

    Marco

  2. Re: COFF vs ELF drivers

    > (Thanks for everyone's help so far with LD and GCC threads.)
    >
    > Had a OSR502 system die. We were not able to find a (unscrathed) 502
    > disk to reinstall, but were able to put on 505.
    >
    > I thought I had found the proper driver disk for a Equinox Megaport
    > card, but get this when I try to install/load it:
    > idinstall: Driver.o is wrong type (not i386 executable)
    >
    > Based on searching around, this led me to thinking that the problem was
    > that the driver was a ELF version, when it needs to be a COFF one:
    >
    > # file Driver.o
    > Driver.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable 80386
    >
    > Has anything changed from 502 to 505 regarding the version used for drivers?
    >
    > The driver I had was "2.00". I managed to find "2.24" online, but when
    > I uncompress and look at the contents, I get the same "ELF" version result.
    >
    > Does "STREAMS" have anything to do with ELF vs COFF? That's one thing
    > we couldn't remember: if there was 2 driver disks (one STREAMS driver,
    > and one "regular" one).

    505 is an elf system and can run coff binaries as well, and 286 and xenix and a.out and most combinations of those that actually exist or make sense.

    Streams is a network abstraction layer and has nothing to do with binary formats.

    It sounds like you may have tried to use a unixware driver instead of an open server driver.
    (not to be confused with open server 6 driver which is basically unixware)

    What is the exact model of your card? "megaport" is too generic.
    The card mind you, not the breakout box if you have one.

    My closest guess is that you need this:
    http://www.connectivity.avocent.com/...l/dd640054.asp

  3. Re: COFF vs ELF drivers

    > What is the exact model of your card? "megaport" is too generic.
    > The card mind you, not the breakout box if you have one.
    >
    > My closest guess is that you need this:
    > http://www.connectivity.avocent.com/...l/dd640054.asp

    I had found newer drivers here:
    ftp://ftp.equinox.com/support/legacy/megaport/

    We have a 4-port Megaport card. It isn't even listed in the manuals we
    have.

    Sorry if I'm not providing enough info...

    Marco

  4. Re: COFF vs ELF drivers

    On 2008-06-18, Brian K. White wrote:
    > From: "Marco Shaw"
    >>
    >> Based on searching around, this led me to thinking that the problem was
    >> that the driver was a ELF version, when it needs to be a COFF one:
    >>
    >> # file Driver.o
    >> Driver.o: ELF 32-bit LSB relocatable 80386

    > 505 is an elf system and can run coff binaries as well, and 286
    > and xenix and a.out and most combinations of those that actually
    > exist or make sense.

    ISTR the OSR5 kernel is a COFF binary if you 'file' the kernel
    itself. That suggests your drivers should be COFF too.

    BTW Brian, your messages are not wraped properly. It looks as
    though they are going through an email gateway where no wrapping
    is fine, but not when they appear on Usenet.

    --
    Andrew Smallshaw
    andrews@sdf.lonestar.org

  5. Re: COFF vs ELF drivers

    > It sounds like you may have tried to use a unixware driver instead of an open server driver.
    > (not to be confused with open server 6 driver which is basically unixware)

    Actually, as I reread the docs... I think you're right on here. Wrong
    driver for my current SCO version...

    Marco

  6. Re: COFF vs ELF drivers