SCSI tape drive not recognized - SCO

This is a discussion on SCSI tape drive not recognized - SCO ; End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6 end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I figured I'd be smart and transplant the ...

  1. SCSI tape drive not recognized

    End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    (adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.

    Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.

    # tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0

    I tried to install cdrecord (to use -scanbus) but none
    of the versions on SCO's web site could recognize the
    adapter. :-

    Anyone with suggestions?

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  2. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    On 18 Jun, 03:12, "N. Yaakov Ziskind" wrote:
    > End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    > end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    > to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    > figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    > (adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    > a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.
    >
    > Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    > I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    > my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    > however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    > it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    > what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    > High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    > tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0

    Try removing and readding the tape to the server using

    mkdev tape

    Also try using a different ID.

    John

  3. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    On Wed, Jun 18, 2008, bonixsas@gmail.com wrote:
    >On 18 Jun, 03:12, "N. Yaakov Ziskind" wrote:
    >> End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    >> end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    >> to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    >> figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    >> (adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    >> a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.
    >>
    >> Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    >> I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    >> my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    >> however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    >> it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    >> what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    >> High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.
    >>
    >> # tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    >> tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0

    >Try removing and readding the tape to the server using
    >
    >mkdev tape
    >
    >Also try using a different ID.

    The first thing I do when doing anything relating to SCSI
    problems it to go into the Adaptec BIOS utilities to check that
    all devices are seen properly. When dealing with disk drives, I
    also at least start the disk check/verify utility to make sure
    that the drives are responding.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    No man's life, liberty, or property are safe while the legislature is in
    session. -- Mark Twain

  4. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    > end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    > to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    > figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    > (adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    > a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.
    >
    > Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    > I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    > my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    > however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    > it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    > what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    > High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.
    >
    > # tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    > tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0
    >
    > I tried to install cdrecord (to use -scanbus) but none
    > of the versions on SCO's web site could recognize the
    > adapter. :-
    >
    > Anyone with suggestions?

    Yes. Install your tape drive on *ANY* more contemporary machine, and use
    'rsync' and 'rsnapshot' to image the files to that centralized backup
    repository. And put the tape on that system, which can run Amanda or any more
    easily configured backup system.

  5. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote (on Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 01:03:33AM +0100):
    > N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > >End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    > >end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    > >to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    > >figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    > >(adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    > >a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.
    > >
    > >Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    > >I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    > >my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    > >however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    > >it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    > >what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    > >High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.
    > >
    > ># tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    > >tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0
    > >
    > >I tried to install cdrecord (to use -scanbus) but none
    > >of the versions on SCO's web site could recognize the
    > >adapter. :-
    > >
    > >Anyone with suggestions?
    > >

    > Yes. Install your tape drive on *ANY* more contemporary machine, and use
    > 'rsync' and 'rsnapshot' to image the files to that centralized backup
    > repository. And put the tape on that system, which can run Amanda or any
    > more easily configured backup system.

    well, the tape drive is scsi, see, and the end user only owns one
    scsi adapter, and that's tied to the disks. so, no, that's not
    an option. plus it should work - it *did* work! - and i'm wondering
    if

    a) i've done something boneheaded, or
    b) the move to the new machine has upset the tape drive.

    i'm discounting b), as the catechism is that scsi devices only depend
    upon the controller, and the controller is obviously the same. so,
    i'm betting on a) pending my next visit.

    Nachman Yaakov Ziskind, FSPA, LLM awacs@ziskind.us
    Attorney and Counselor-at-Law http://ziskind.us
    Economic Group Pension Services http://egps.com

  6. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote (on Fri, Jun 20, 2008 at 01:03:33AM +0100):
    >> N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >>> End user A (5.0.5; not to be confused with the 5.0.6
    >>> end user in the next post) has a flaky machine that dates
    >>> to the last century. He clearly needed new hardware. I
    >>> figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    >>> (adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    >>> a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.
    >>>
    >>> Other than finding three bad SCSI disks in a row (and, yes,
    >>> I tested them in other machines while I slowly went mad)
    >>> my strategy went pretty well. I'm stuck at the tape drive,
    >>> however. SCO (and therefore BackupEdge) are not talking to
    >>> it. %tape prints on the laundry list, the ID # matches
    >>> what adaptec tells me upon boot up, so I'm stumped.
    >>> High quality active terminator, not on the tape drive.
    >>>
    >>> # tar tvf /dev/rStp0
    >>> tar: cannot open: /dev/rStp0
    >>>
    >>> I tried to install cdrecord (to use -scanbus) but none
    >>> of the versions on SCO's web site could recognize the
    >>> adapter. :-
    >>>
    >>> Anyone with suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Yes. Install your tape drive on *ANY* more contemporary machine, and use
    >> 'rsync' and 'rsnapshot' to image the files to that centralized backup
    >> repository. And put the tape on that system, which can run Amanda or any
    >> more easily configured backup system.

    > well, the tape drive is scsi, see, and the end user only owns one
    > scsi adapter, and that's tied to the disks. so, no, that's not
    > an option. plus it should work - it *did* work! - and i'm wondering
    > if
    >
    > a) i've done something boneheaded, or
    > b) the move to the new machine has upset the tape drive.
    >
    > i'm discounting b), as the catechism is that scsi devices only depend
    > upon the controller, and the controller is obviously the same. so,
    > i'm betting on a) pending my next visit.

    Modest SCSI cards are much cheaper than hours of time wasted with the fairly
    painful configuration tools of old SCO systems. If you're in a hurry and want
    to test the hardware itself, I recommend using the latest Knoppix CD to boot
    with: they're wonderful for testing hardware and verifying that it works.

  7. Re: SCSI tape drive not recognized

    > N. Yaakov Ziskind wrote:
    >I figured I'd be smart and transplant the SCSI sub-system
    >(adaptec 2940, two seagate drives, tandberg slr-24) into
    >a new Dell server to save reconfiguration hassles.

    >I'm stuck at the tape drive,

    > I tried to install cdrecord (to use -scanbus) but none
    > of the versions on SCO's web site could recognize the
    > adapter. :-
    >
    > a) i've done something boneheaded, or
    > b) the move to the new machine has upset the tape drive.
    >
    > i'm discounting b), as the catechism is that scsi devices only depend
    > upon the controller, and the controller is obviously the same. so,
    > i'm betting on a) pending my next visit.

    What is the new Dell stuffed with, re: processor?
    I stuff and restuff GX1s with 2940s all the time with no problems. I
    use the cdrecord set of programs off the net and have not seen any
    problem except with the one 2940 that I found bad.
    Could your problem be related to the processor? 5.0.5 was good through
    the P3, IIRC.

    Ed Fair

+ Reply to Thread