Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5 - SCO

This is a discussion on Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5 - SCO ; To all, I am trying to add a second SCSI 9G drive to a 5.0.5 system and am having difficulty. I believe I have the hardware installed properly with a SCSI address of the primary drive being 0 and the ...

  1. Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5

    To all,

    I am trying to add a second SCSI 9G drive to a 5.0.5 system and am
    having difficulty.

    I believe I have the hardware installed properly with a SCSI address of
    the primary drive being 0 and the SCSI address of the new drive being 4.
    I have used mkdev twice and everything seems to be in order.

    The contents of mscsi are:

    cha Sdsk 0 0 0 0
    cha Stp 0 2 0 0
    wd Srom 0 0 0 0
    cha Sdsk 0 4 0 0

    The contents of the original disk using divvy
    224# divvy -P -N /dev/hd0a
    0 0 39999 boot EAFS
    1 40000 339999 swap NON FS
    2 340000 1500000 root HTFS
    3 1500001 8827706 u HTFS
    6 8827707 8827716 recover NON FS
    7 0 8835749 d1057all WHOLE DISK

    The contents of the new disk using divvy:
    223# divvy -P -N /dev/hd1a
    0 0 8867879 d1150 HTFS
    7 0 8875880 d1157all WHOLE DISK

    When I run
    "mkdev fs" I am unable to find the correct device name ie :

    232# mkdev fs /u2

    Filesystem Initialization Program

    This program performs maintenance tasks required to add or delete
    an existing filesystem. Would you like to:

    1. Add a new filesystem to system.
    2. Remove a filesystem.

    Select an option or enter q to quit: 1

    Enter a device name and press or q to quit: /dev/hd1a

    Enter a directory name and press or q to quit: /u2

    Cleaning /dev/hd1a ...
    Cleaning /dev/hd1a ...
    Unable to mount /dev/hd1a. See /tmp/fs.LOG for details. Exiting ...

    The contents of /tmp/fs.LOG :
    mount: cannot stat '/dev/hd1a'
    fsck: cannot determine filesystem type of /dev/hd1a.

    Obviously /dev/hd1a is the wrong device name

    Would sure appreciate some help

    Thanks,

    Greg Ennis

  2. Re: Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5

    > I am trying to add a second SCSI 9G drive to a 5.0.5 system and am
    > having difficulty.
    >
    > I believe I have the hardware installed properly with a SCSI address of
    > the primary drive being 0 and the SCSI address of the new drive being 4.
    > I have used mkdev twice and everything seems to be in order.
    >
    > The contents of mscsi are:
    >
    > cha Sdsk 0 0 0 0
    > cha Stp 0 2 0 0
    > wd Srom 0 0 0 0
    > cha Sdsk 0 4 0 0
    >
    > The contents of the original disk using divvy
    > 224# divvy -P -N /dev/hd0a
    > 0 0 39999 boot EAFS
    > 1 40000 339999 swap NON FS
    > 2 340000 1500000 root HTFS
    > 3 1500001 8827706 u HTFS
    > 6 8827707 8827716 recover NON FS
    > 7 0 8835749 d1057all WHOLE DISK
    >
    > The contents of the new disk using divvy:
    > 223# divvy -P -N /dev/hd1a
    > 0 0 8867879 d1150 HTFS
    > 7 0 8875880 d1157all WHOLE DISK
    >
    > When I run
    > "mkdev fs" I am unable to find the correct device name ie :
    >
    > 232# mkdev fs /u2

    You don't really need divvy in this case.
    I'd just create the filesystem on the full partition or on the full drive,
    especially since its just 9G.

    To make a single fs that fills the 2nd drive, no divvy or even fdisk
    partitions,
    since you've already run mkdev hd twice (2nd time after a reboot), the
    kernel should know the device by now and at least the main device node
    /dev/dsk/1s0 & rdsk/1s0 should have been created already by now, so all
    that's left is just to use it.

    mkfs /dev/rdsk/1s0
    mkdir /u2
    mount /dev/dsk/1s0 /u2

    Assuming that all went without incident, then to make it mount automatically
    every boot,
    vi /etc/default/filesys and add this line:
    bdev=/dev/dsk/1s0 cdev=/dev/rdsk/1s0 mountdir=/u2

    And it wouldn't hurt to create a lost+found dir too..
    mkdir /u2/lost+found
    cd /u2/lost+found
    n=1 ;until [ $n -gt 500 ] ;do touch $n ;n=`expr $n + 1` ;done
    rm *

  3. Re: Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5

    On Sun, 2008-06-15 at 23:35 -0400, Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    Brian,

    I can not thank you enough. There are many things that I have been able
    to do with this little SCO box, but as much as I think I have learned
    there are rooms of knowledge that I still do not posses.

    Everything worked perfectly!!!!

    Thanks again,

    Greg

  4. Re: Adding a second SCSI disc drive to Release 3.2v5.0.5

    > I am trying to add a second SCSI 9G drive to a 5.0.5 system and am
    > having difficulty.
    >
    > I believe I have the hardware installed properly with a SCSI address of
    > the primary drive being 0 and the SCSI address of the new drive being 4.
    > I have used mkdev twice and everything seems to be in order.
    >
    > The contents of the new disk using divvy:
    > 223# divvy -P -N /dev/hd1a
    > 0 * * * * * * *0 * * * *8867879 * d1150 HTFS
    > 7 * * * * * * *0 * * * *8875880 * d1157all * * *WHOLE DISK
    >
    > When I run
    > "mkdev fs" *I am unable to find the correct device name ie :
    >
    > 232# mkdev fs /u2
    >
    > > mkfs /dev/rdsk/1s0
    > > mkdir /u2
    > > mount /dev/dsk/1s0 /u2

    During "mkdev hd" you were kicked into divvy, where you could have
    renamed your d1150 (which is a default name) but since you didn't
    choose to do that it was added into /dev as such.

    In "mkdev fs" your device name should have been "/dev/d1150" and the
    mount point should have been "/u2".

    If you had used divvy to create 2 parts, the devices would have been
    d1150 and d1151.

    The entry point for the name changes is "do you want to make any
    changes in ---" and I always make changes there to represent what the
    division or filesystem represents. Most of the time the entry I use in
    divvy is the same that I use as the mount point.

    Ed Fair

+ Reply to Thread