OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC) - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC) - SCO ; OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system. What might be the easiest way to get ld? Marco...

  1. OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.

    What might be the easiest way to get ld?

    Marco

  2. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    Marco Shaw wrote:
    > OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    > installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.
    >
    > What might be the easiest way to get ld?
    >
    > Marco

    Remember what I said about having to install the development toolkit from your
    installation CD? That's what you need to get a SCO ld command and system
    include files, and you need a license for it.

    There may have been loadable GNU utilities for this published, but you still
    need the include files, too.

  3. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Marco Shaw wrote:
    >> OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    >> installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.
    >>
    >> What might be the easiest way to get ld?
    >>
    >> Marco

    > Remember what I said about having to install the development toolkit
    > from your installation CD? That's what you need to get a SCO ld command
    > and system include files, and you need a license for it.
    >
    > There may have been loadable GNU utilities for this published, but you
    > still need the include files, too.

    Just to load a driver, I need the dev toolkit?! Won't I need to relink
    the kernel simply by loading/adding a device driver?

    Marco

  4. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    Marco Shaw wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Marco Shaw wrote:
    >>> OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    >>> installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.
    >>>
    >>> What might be the easiest way to get ld?
    >>>
    >>> Marco

    >> Remember what I said about having to install the development toolkit
    >> from your installation CD? That's what you need to get a SCO ld
    >> command and system include files, and you need a license for it.
    >>
    >> There may have been loadable GNU utilities for this published, but you
    >> still need the include files, too.

    > Just to load a driver, I need the dev toolkit?! Won't I need to relink
    > the kernel simply by loading/adding a device driver?
    >
    > Marco

    Whoah. As near as I can tell, there's a little tiny toolkit to link new
    kernels. But it's not accompanied by other associated compilation tools. What
    do you need the linker for? Kernel updates?

  5. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    > Whoah. As near as I can tell, there's a little tiny toolkit to link new
    > kernels. But it's not accompanied by other associated compilation tools.
    > What do you need the linker for? Kernel updates?

    I need to install a Megaport driver:
    ftp://ftp.equinox.com/support/legacy/megaport/

    Seems to me the kernel needs to be relinked after that...

    Marco

  6. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    Marco Shaw wrote:

    >> Whoah. As near as I can tell, there's a little tiny toolkit to link
    >> new kernels. But it's not accompanied by other associated compilation
    >> tools. What do you need the linker for? Kernel updates?

    > I need to install a Megaport driver:
    > ftp://ftp.equinox.com/support/legacy/megaport/
    >
    > Seems to me the kernel needs to be relinked after that...
    >
    > Marco

    When you load that driver, doesn't scoadmin present you with options to add
    the device and do the linking for you?

  7. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    Marco Shaw wrote:

    >> Whoah. As near as I can tell, there's a little tiny toolkit to link
    >> new kernels. But it's not accompanied by other associated compilation
    >> tools. What do you need the linker for? Kernel updates?

    > I need to install a Megaport driver:
    > ftp://ftp.equinox.com/support/legacy/megaport/
    >
    > Seems to me the kernel needs to be relinked after that...
    >
    > Marco

    I see this in ftp://ftp.equinox.com/support/legacy...t/00_index.txt

    X248.Z 474K 11/22/95 SCO UNIX/XENIX/OPENSERVER 5 Release 2.4.8 AT/EISA
    For ISA/EISA Bus Only.
    This file is in a "dd - compressed" Unix format.
    Please use "uncompress" the "dd" the file to
    a floppy diskette to create an installable disk.
    Use "custom" or "scoadmin" to install this driver
    (11-22-1995)

    So you should be able to use 'custom' to install from a floppy image of the
    file, and use 'scoadmin' to load the driver. Or use the floppy to load the
    drivers at installation time.

  8. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    > So you should be able to use 'custom' to install from a floppy image of
    > the file, and use 'scoadmin' to load the driver. Or use the floppy to
    > load the drivers at installation time.

    Thanks. I still thought I needed to relink the kernel though.

    This is only the *2nd* time I ever deal with SCO... The last time was 2
    years or so ago when I was asked to do this the last time this "server"
    failed and was rebuilt...

    Marco

  9. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    >> OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    >> installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.
    >>
    >> What might be the easiest way to get ld?
    >>
    >> Marco

    > Remember what I said about having to install the development toolkit from
    > your installation CD? That's what you need to get a SCO ld command and
    > system include files, and you need a license for it.
    >
    > There may have been loadable GNU utilities for this published, but you
    > still need the include files, too.

    Starting with 5.0.5 there is a free linker and libs package on the install
    cd.
    That's all you need, plus the gnutools package and oss646c

    If you don't have your 5.0.5 install media, you may be able to get one for
    somewhere under $99 (US) from sco or ebay.
    There is also a freely dowloadable install cd for 5.0.7 on the sco ftp site,
    which has the linker package which may work ok on 5.0.5.

    ftp://ftp.sco.com/pub/openserver5/50...Jun05_1800.iso

  10. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    >>> OK, I might not need a compiler afer all, but will need a linker. I
    >>> installed a pretty basic 5.0.5 OS. I cannot find ld on the system.
    >>>
    >>> What might be the easiest way to get ld?
    >>>
    >>> Marco

    >> Remember what I said about having to install the development toolkit from
    >> your installation CD? That's what you need to get a SCO ld command and
    >> system include files, and you need a license for it.
    >>
    >> There may have been loadable GNU utilities for this published, but you
    >> still need the include files, too.

    > Just to load a driver, I need the dev toolkit?! Won't I need to relink
    > the kernel simply by loading/adding a device driver?

    You are thinking too hard.

    In the case of drivers, yes the kernel is relinked, but the kernel link kit
    is a built-in part of every system and is seperate from and unrelated to the
    ordinary software linker.
    Just follow the directions supplied with the driver, and only worry about it
    not working _after_ it doesn't work.

  11. Re: OSR505 and ld (was OSR505 and GCC)

    On Sat, Jun 14, 2008, Brian K. White wrote:

> [...]

    This should show up on the installation CDs ``custom'' choices under
    something like Libraries and Headers. This gives you all the necessary
    include header files and libraries to build with gcc or other compilers.

    These have been included in OpenServer since the mid 1990s, partly as the
    result of various people on this list and within the original SCO's support
    group pushing to get them included without additional charge. I know that
    Bela Lubkin, J.P. Radley, Dion Johnson, and I were amongst the pushiest.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    I don't make jokes, I just watch the Government and report the facts...
    Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread