SCOAdmin Account Creation - SCO

This is a discussion on SCOAdmin Account Creation - SCO ; While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart the machines. Please advice ...

  1. SCOAdmin Account Creation

    While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    In the first place why is this happening.

    Please advise..

    Dhaya

  2. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On 27 May, 18:25, sdhaya wrote:
    > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    > In the first place why is this happening.
    >
    > Please advise..
    >
    > Dhaya

    Hard to tell: what does 'useradd' say if you try to create an account
    manually? As near as I can tell, that's the command that is actually
    called by the scoadmin tool. And what does the 'ap' tool say about
    recording account information?

    It may also be that you've introduced a discrepancy between /etc/
    passwd and /etc/shadow by editing manually, or that some clever person
    screwed up /etc/passwd.

  3. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    sdhaya wrote:
    > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > the machines.

    That should not be necessary.

    > Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.

    Possibly. There's perhaps some process that emitted an error message
    somewhere and then died prematurely leaving the front end waiting.

    I'd use 'ps -ef' to identify the "hanging" process. I'd then maybe make
    judicious use of kill starting with the gentler signal levels.

    > In the first place why is this happening.

    You don't provide much information. This is OpenServer 5.0.something
    with MP.somenumber isn't it? OSR has tools to verify critical files,
    that might or might not help.

    --
    RGB

  4. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On May 27, 9:45*pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 27 May, 18:25, sdhaya wrote:
    >
    > > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > > the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    > > In the first place why is this happening.

    > > Please advise..

    > > Dhaya

    > Hard to tell: what does 'useradd' say if you try to create an account
    > manually? As near as I can tell, that's the command that is actually
    > called by the scoadmin tool. And what does the 'ap' tool say about
    > recording account information?
    >
    > It may also be that you've introduced a discrepancy between /etc/
    > passwd and /etc/shadow by editing manually, or that some clever person
    > screwed up /etc/passwd.

    If star's appear in the SCOAdmin, the user "useradd" function also
    hangs. Not tried the "ap" tool. Can this solve the issue?.

    Thanks

    Dhaya

  5. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On May 27, 11:43*pm, RedGrittyBrick
    wrote:
    > sdhaya wrote:
    > > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > > the machines.

    > That should not be necessary.
    >
    > > Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.

    > Possibly. There's perhaps some process that emitted an error message
    > somewhere and then died prematurely leaving the front end waiting.
    >
    > I'd use 'ps -ef' to identify the "hanging" process. I'd then maybe make
    > judicious use of kill starting with the gentler signal levels.
    >
    > > In the first place why is this happening.

    > You don't provide much information. This is OpenServer 5.0.something
    > with MP.somenumber isn't it? OSR has tools to verify critical files,
    > that might or might not help.
    >
    > --
    > RGB

    We are using SCO Open Server 5.0.6 with SMP. ( 4 Processors ). I am
    unable to pinpoint the process which is used by scoadmin account
    creation. Any clues.

    Dhaya

  6. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On 28 May, 03:45, sdhaya wrote:
    > On May 27, 11:43*pm, RedGrittyBrick
    > wrote:
    >

    > > sdhaya wrote:
    > > > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > > > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > > > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > > > the machines.

    > > That should not be necessary.

    > > > Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > > > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.

    > > Possibly. There's perhaps some process that emitted an error message
    > > somewhere and then died prematurely leaving the front end waiting.

    > > I'd use 'ps -ef' to identify the "hanging" process. I'd then maybe make
    > > judicious use of kill starting with the gentler signal levels.

    > > > In the first place why is this happening.

    > > You don't provide much information. This is OpenServer 5.0.something
    > > with MP.somenumber isn't it? OSR has tools to verify critical files,
    > > that might or might not help.

    > > --
    > > RGB

    > We are using SCO Open Server 5.0.6 with SMP. ( 4 Processors ). I am
    > unable to pinpoint the process which is used by scoadmin account
    > creation. Any clues.
    >
    > Dhaya- Hide quoted text -

    I'm pretty sure, from it's behavior, that it's 'usreadd'. It sounds
    like some sort of error has crept into your /etc/passwod and/or your /
    etc/shadow files, but I can't swear to that. Are you running NIS or
    another other tools that also handle user accounts? And can you review
    your passwd nad shadow files for consistency, and for formatting
    errors?

    I've seen so many people screw up passwd files with badly written
    account generation tools, it's just scary.

  7. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    sdhaya wrote:
    > On May 27, 11:43 pm, RedGrittyBrick
    > wrote:
    >> sdhaya wrote:
    >>> While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    >>> require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    >>> (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    >>> the machines.

    >> That should not be necessary.
    >>
    >>> Please advice how to correct the problem without
    >>> restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.

    >> Possibly. There's perhaps some process that emitted an error message
    >> somewhere and then died prematurely leaving the front end waiting.
    >>
    >> I'd use 'ps -ef' to identify the "hanging" process. I'd then maybe make
    >> judicious use of kill starting with the gentler signal levels.
    >>
    >>> In the first place why is this happening.

    >> You don't provide much information. This is OpenServer 5.0.something
    >> with MP.somenumber isn't it? OSR has tools to verify critical files,
    >> that might or might not help.
    >>

    > We are using SCO Open Server 5.0.6 with SMP. ( 4 Processors ). I am
    > unable to pinpoint the process which is used by scoadmin account
    > creation. Any clues.

    I logged in as root, used `tty` to find my tty number then ran scoadmin.
    On another terminal I used ...

    > ps -e | grep ttyp0

    764 ttyp0 00:00:00 ksh
    828 ttyp0 00:00:00 sh
    834 ttyp0 00:00:00 scoadmin
    835 ttyp0 00:00:00 cm_vtcld
    837 ttyp0 00:00:00 activate.scoad
    839 ttyp0 00:00:00 accountGUI

    --
    RGB

  8. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On May 28, 12:06*pm, RedGrittyBrick
    wrote:
    > sdhaya wrote:
    > > On May 27, 11:43 pm, RedGrittyBrick
    > > wrote:
    > >> That should not be necessary.

    > >> Possibly. There's perhaps some process that emitted an error message
    > >> somewhere and then died prematurely leaving the front end waiting.

    > >> I'd use 'ps -ef' to identify the "hanging" process. I'd then maybe make
    > >> judicious use of kill starting with the gentler signal levels.

    > >> You don't provide much information. This is OpenServer 5.0.something
    > >> with MP.somenumber isn't it? OSR has tools to verify critical files,
    > >> that might or might not help.

    > > We are using SCO Open Server 5.0.6 with SMP. ( 4 Processors ). I am
    > > unable to pinpoint the process which is used by scoadmin account
    > > creation. Any clues.

    > I logged in as root, used `tty` to find my tty number then ran scoadmin.
    > On another terminal I used ...
    >
    > *> ps -e | grep ttyp0
    > * *764 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 ksh
    > * *828 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 sh
    > * *834 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 scoadmin
    > * *835 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 cm_vtcld
    > * *837 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 activate.scoad
    > * *839 * ttyp0 * *00:00:00 accountGUI
    >
    > --
    > RGB- Hide quoted text -

    Thanks for the info.. Will try it out

  9. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On 27 May, 18:25, sdhaya wrote:
    > While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    > In the first place why is this happening.
    >
    > Please advise..
    >
    > Dhaya

    See section 4 of:

    http://www.sco.com/ta/104907

    to check and see what is wrong with the integrity of the
    security subsystem.

    John

  10. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:25:45 -0700 (PDT), sdhaya
    wrote:

    >While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    >require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    >(*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    >the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    >restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    >In the first place why is this happening.
    >
    >Please advise..
    >
    >Dhaya

    If scoadmin is producing any errors they should be found in
    /usr/adm/syslog or /usr/adm/messages.

    Scott McMillan

  11. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On May 28, 4:08*pm, Scott McMillan wrote:
    > On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:25:45 -0700 (PDT), sdhaya
    >
    > wrote:
    > >While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    > >require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    > >(*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    > >the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    > >restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    > >In the first place why is this happening.

    > >Please advise..

    > >Dhaya

    > If scoadmin is producing any errors they should be found in
    > /usr/adm/syslog or /usr/adm/messages.
    >
    > Scott McMillan

    Is the scoadmin multi Users. Can 3 or 4 users create/delete/amend User
    profiles at the same time?

    Dhaya

  12. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    sdhaya wrote:
    > On May 28, 4:08 pm, Scott McMillan wrote:
    >> On Tue, 27 May 2008 10:25:45 -0700 (PDT), sdhaya
    >>
    >> wrote:
    >>> While using SCOADMIN to create new accounts after inputting the
    >>> require fields, the process does not complete and instead I see stars
    >>> (*****) on top of the menu. To rectify the problem, we have to restart
    >>> the machines. Please advice how to correct the problem without
    >>> restarting the Server. Is there any process which needs to be killed.
    >>> In the first place why is this happening.
    >>> Please advise..
    >>> Dhaya

    >> If scoadmin is producing any errors they should be found in
    >> /usr/adm/syslog or /usr/adm/messages.
    >>
    >> Scott McMillan

    > Is the scoadmin multi Users. Can 3 or 4 users create/delete/amend User
    > profiles at the same time?
    >
    > Dhaya

    Without source code, it's difficult to tell. If the tool is using 'useradd'
    and 'usermod' behind the scenes, which is consistent with the interface's
    options, useradd uses lock files to prevent simultaneous editing. It's tricky,
    though: one root user's request to change a user's password or shell may be
    superceded by another user's request, very shortly thereafter, and become
    quite confusing.

    This is a fundamental limit of the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, etc.
    flat file system technology for storing account information. Way back in the
    old days of UNIX, you had *one* admin, or people who worked together gracefully.

    If you need to do this sort of multiple-admin handling of a lot of accounts,
    or complex account setups, use 'webmin' rather than scoadmin: it's a much
    saner, open sourced, and well-understood interface.

  13. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    On May 31, 2:49*pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > sdhaya wrote:
    > > On May 28, 4:08 pm, Scott McMillan wrote:

    > >> If scoadmin is producing any errors they should be found in
    > >> /usr/adm/syslog or /usr/adm/messages.

    > >> Scott McMillan

    > > Is the scoadmin multi Users. Can 3 or 4 users create/delete/amend User
    > > profiles at the same time?

    > > Dhaya

    > Without source code, it's difficult to tell. If the tool is using 'useradd'
    > and 'usermod' behind the scenes, which is consistent with the interface's
    > options, useradd uses lock files to prevent simultaneous editing. It's tricky,
    > though: one root user's request to change a user's password or shell may be
    > superceded by another user's request, very shortly thereafter, and become
    > quite confusing.
    >
    > This is a fundamental limit of the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, etc.
    > flat file system technology for storing account information. Way back in the
    > old days of UNIX, you had *one* admin, or people who worked together gracefully.
    >
    > If you need to do this sort of multiple-admin handling of a lot of accounts,
    > or complex account setups, use 'webmin' rather than scoadmin: it's a much
    > saner, open sourced, and well-understood interface.- Hide quoted text -

    The problem has occured again. Now when we invoke "scoadmin" and
    select "Account Manager", the users list does not appear. I have
    managed to get the processes related to sco currently running :-

    # ps -ef | grep -i "sco"
    root 65 59 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /etc/sco_cpd
    root 245 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/lli/
    5.0.6a/bin/dlpid /var/opt/K/SCO/lli/5.0.6a/dlpidPIPE
    root 463 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    calserver
    root 465 463 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    calserver
    root 450 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /var/scohttp/
    scohttpd -d /var/scohttp
    root 556 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    caldaemon
    root 13611 9975 2 07:21:56 ttyp12 00:00:00 grep -i sco
    root 22920 22879 0 Jun-02 ? 00:00:00 dlvr_audit
    1212381561 12 26 22879 sco_C_osa 0 auth 12 Updated passwd file entry
    root 22879 1 0 Jun-02 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    root 4848 1 0 09:04:48 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    root 4871 1 0 09:05:33 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    root 5122 1 0 09:25:08 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa

    Can anybody advice if any of the above processes are holding the
    passwd/shadow files and not releasing. Can we kill these processes and
    try. We are running our core authorization system in this box and I
    don't want to take any chances.

    Dhaya

  14. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    sdhaya wrote:
    > On May 31, 2:49 pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> sdhaya wrote:
    >>> Is the scoadmin multi Users. Can 3 or 4 users create/delete/amend User
    >>> profiles at the same time?
    >>> Dhaya

    >> Without source code, it's difficult to tell. If the tool is using 'useradd'
    >> and 'usermod' behind the scenes, which is consistent with the interface's
    >> options, useradd uses lock files to prevent simultaneous editing. It's tricky,
    >> though: one root user's request to change a user's password or shell may be
    >> superceded by another user's request, very shortly thereafter, and become
    >> quite confusing.
    >>
    >> This is a fundamental limit of the /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/shadow, etc.
    >> flat file system technology for storing account information. Way back in the
    >> old days of UNIX, you had *one* admin, or people who worked together gracefully.
    >>
    >> If you need to do this sort of multiple-admin handling of a lot of accounts,
    >> or complex account setups, use 'webmin' rather than scoadmin: it's a much
    >> saner, open sourced, and well-understood interface.- Hide quoted text -

    > The problem has occured again. Now when we invoke "scoadmin" and
    > select "Account Manager", the users list does not appear. I have
    > managed to get the processes related to sco currently running :-
    >
    > # ps -ef | grep -i "sco"
    > root 65 59 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /etc/sco_cpd
    > root 245 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/lli/
    > 5.0.6a/bin/dlpid /var/opt/K/SCO/lli/5.0.6a/dlpidPIPE
    > root 463 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    > calserver
    > root 465 463 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    > calserver
    > root 450 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /var/scohttp/
    > scohttpd -d /var/scohttp
    > root 556 1 0 May-26 ? 00:00:00 /usr/lib/scosh/
    > caldaemon
    > root 13611 9975 2 07:21:56 ttyp12 00:00:00 grep -i sco
    > root 22920 22879 0 Jun-02 ? 00:00:00 dlvr_audit
    > 1212381561 12 26 22879 sco_C_osa 0 auth 12 Updated passwd file entry
    > root 22879 1 0 Jun-02 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    > root 4848 1 0 09:04:48 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    > root 4871 1 0 09:05:33 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    > root 5122 1 0 09:25:08 ? 00:00:00 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 5.0.6Ga/sa/account/userOsa
    >
    > Can anybody advice if any of the above processes are holding the
    > passwd/shadow files and not releasing. Can we kill these processes and
    > try. We are running our core authorization system in this box and I
    > don't want to take any chances.
    >
    > Dhaya

    Have you rebooted this box? And my working guess is that you've got various
    'users0a' because those are various copies of the scoadmin tool that you're
    running. Shut them all *down*, and work with 'useradd' or 'usermod' directly.
    If those don't work, I suspect your /etc/passwd or /etc/shadow or /etc/group
    may be munged up and need editing manually. But at least you'll get readable
    command-line error messages.

    The scoadmin tool is not a complete tool. It is a *wrapper* for other tools,
    and not a very good one in my experience with OpenServer 5.0.6. Thus, assuming
    that processes named 'sco' are all the processes related to SCO is a bad
    assumption, since SCO need not appear in the name at all. And all processes
    from /opt/K/SCO/ will have it in their name, anyway.

  15. Re: SCOAdmin Account Creation

    Dhaya wrote:

    > The problem has occured again. Now when we invoke "scoadmin" and
    > select "Account Manager", the users list does not appear. I have
    > managed to get the processes related to sco currently running :-
    >
    > # ps -ef | grep -i "sco"

    > root 22920 22879 0 Jun-02 ? 00:00:00 dlvr_audit 1212381561 12 26 22879 sco_C_osa 0 auth 12 Updated passwd file entry

    > Can anybody advice if any of the above processes are holding the
    > passwd/shadow files and not releasing. Can we kill these processes and
    > try. We are running our core authorization system in this box and I
    > don't want to take any chances.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia replied:

    > The scoadmin tool is not a complete tool. It is a *wrapper* for other tools,
    > and not a very good one in my experience with OpenServer 5.0.6. Thus, assuming
    > that processes named 'sco' are all the processes related to SCO is a bad
    > assumption, since SCO need not appear in the name at all. And all processes
    > from /opt/K/SCO/ will have it in their name, anyway.

    You are right that his assumption was bad, but as I've picked out above,
    he did actually capture the issue.

    Dhaya, this is a Frequently Asked Question. There are about 20 threads
    about it in the comp.unix.sco.misc archives (on groups.google.com), and
    SCO has a Technical Article with the solution:

    http://www.sco.com/ta/109461

    The oldest online solution I can find recently had its 11th birthday:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....61894b35de9ecc

    >Bela<

+ Reply to Thread