OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors - SCO ; Installing OSR6 MP3 on our DR server which is an HP ML 570 G4. While using "scoadmin software" to install the maintenance pack I had an error at the console: File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has size 57714, expected 57708 File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has ...

  1. OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    Installing OSR6 MP3 on our DR server which is an HP ML 570 G4. While
    using "scoadmin software" to install the maintenance pack I had an
    error at the console:

    File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has size 57714,
    expected 57708
    File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has checksum
    299764179, expected 2634099339

    I clicked OK and the installation completed and kernel relinked. I
    then rebooted the server successfully. How concerned do I need to be
    about this error? I could not find any references in the other
    posintgs in this group when i did a search.....

    Regards

    James

  2. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On 27 May, 09:29, James_Szabadics wrote:
    > Installing OSR6 MP3 on our DR server which is an HP ML 570 G4. While
    > using "scoadmin software" to install the maintenance pack I had an
    > error at the console:
    >
    > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has size 57714,
    > expected 57708
    > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has checksum
    > 299764179, expected 2634099339
    >
    > I clicked OK and the installation completed and kernel relinked. I
    > then rebooted the server successfully. How concerned do I need to be
    > about this error? I could not find any references in the other
    > posintgs in this group when i did a search.....

    James,

    This warning is telling you that the size and checksum of the curses
    header
    file (part of the original OpenServer 6.0.0) are not what they should
    be.

    Either:

    1) Someone has manually changed this file on your system
    or
    2) The file has become corrupt

    You need to find out why this file changed, but if you dont use the
    file
    then there is no real need to correct the problem if you are prepared
    live with the warning.

    John

  3. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On May 28, 8:24*pm, bonix...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 27 May, 09:29, James_Szabadics wrote:
    >
    > > Installing OSR6 MP3 on our DR server which is an HP ML 570 G4. *While
    > > using "scoadmin software" to install the maintenance pack I had an
    > > error at the console:

    > > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has size 57714,
    > > expected 57708
    > > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has checksum
    > > 299764179, expected 2634099339

    > > I clicked OK and the installation completed and kernel relinked. *I
    > > then rebooted the server successfully. *How concerned do I need to be
    > > about this error? *I could not find any references in the other
    > > posintgs in this group when i did a search.....

    > James,
    >
    > This warning is telling you that the size and checksum of the curses
    > header
    > file (part of the original OpenServer 6.0.0) are not what they should
    > be.
    >
    > Either:
    >
    > 1) Someone has manually changed this file on your system
    > or
    > 2) The file has become corrupt
    >
    > You need to find out why this file changed, but if you dont use the
    > file
    > then there is no real need to correct the problem if you are prepared
    > live with the warning.
    >
    > John

    Thanks John,

    I may need to obtain these files from somewhere else I guess?

    Would appreciate if someone could check the file sizes and checksum of
    this file on their SCO MP3 6.0.0 system and tell me what it is.

    I wonder if the expectation in the MP3 upgrade is wrong or if the file
    size and file modification date on my system is already the same as
    everyone elses.

    Regards

    James

  4. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On May 29, 11:57*am, James_Szabadics wrote:
    > On May 28, 8:24*pm, bonix...@gmail.com wrote:
    >

    > > On 27 May, 09:29, James_Szabadics wrote:

    > > > Installing OSR6 MP3 on our DR server which is an HP ML 570 G4. *While
    > > > using "scoadmin software" to install the maintenance pack I had an
    > > > error at the console:

    > > > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has size 57714,
    > > > expected 57708
    > > > File "./opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h" has checksum
    > > > 299764179, expected 2634099339

    > > > I clicked OK and the installation completed and kernel relinked. *I
    > > > then rebooted the server successfully. *How concerned do I need to be
    > > > about this error? *I could not find any references in the other
    > > > posintgs in this group when i did a search.....

    > > James,

    > > This warning is telling you that the size and checksum of the curses
    > > header
    > > file (part of the original OpenServer 6.0.0) are not what they should
    > > be.

    > > Either:

    > > 1) Someone has manually changed this file on your system
    > > or
    > > 2) The file has become corrupt

    > > You need to find out why this file changed, but if you dont use the
    > > file
    > > then there is no real need to correct the problem if you are prepared
    > > live with the warning.

    > > John

    > Thanks John,
    >
    > I may need to obtain these files from somewhere else I guess?
    >
    > Would appreciate if someone could check the file sizes and checksum of
    > this file on their SCO MP3 6.0.0 system and tell me what it is.
    >
    > I wonder if the expectation in the MP3 upgrade is wrong or if the file
    > size and file modification date on my system is already the same as
    > everyone elses.
    >
    > Regards
    >
    > James- Hide quoted text -

    My file sizes and dates are

    # ls -l `find / -name curses.h`
    -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57714 Jun 5 2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 1537 May 22 2007 /opt/K/SCO/unixds/
    6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 51 May 22 2007 /osr5/usr/include/
    curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/unixds/6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 44 May 22 2007 /usr/include/
    curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    #

    How does this compare to others?

    Regards

    James

  5. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On 29 May, 08:39, James_Szabadics wrote:
    > On May 29, 11:57 am, James_Szabadics wrote:

    > > > James,

    > > > This warning is telling you that the size and checksum of the curses
    > > > header
    > > > file (part of the original OpenServer 6.0.0) are not what they should
    > > > be.

    > > > Either:

    > > > 1) Someone has manually changed this file on your system
    > > > or
    > > > 2) The file has become corrupt

    > > > You need to find out why this file changed, but if you dont use the
    > > > file
    > > > then there is no real need to correct the problem if you are prepared
    > > > live with the warning.

    > > > John

    > > Thanks John,

    > > I may need to obtain these files from somewhere else I guess?

    > > Would appreciate if someone could check the file sizes and checksum of
    > > this file on their SCO MP3 6.0.0 system and tell me what it is.

    > > I wonder if the expectation in the MP3 upgrade is wrong or if the file
    > > size and file modification date on my system is already the same as
    > > everyone elses.

    > > Regards

    > > James- Hide quoted text -

    > My file sizes and dates are
    >
    > # ls -l `find / -name curses.h`
    > -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57714 Jun 5 2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 1537 May 22 2007 /opt/K/SCO/unixds/
    > 6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 51 May 22 2007 /osr5/usr/include/
    > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/unixds/6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 44 May 22 2007 /usr/include/
    > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > #

    James,

    MP3 does not update curses.h. The problem you have is that while
    installing MP3
    the Software Manager does a check of the files on the system and it is
    telling you
    that

    /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h

    is not the right size or checksum. On my system

    ls -l /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h

    returns:

    -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57708 Apr 15 15:32 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h

    You can "fix" this problem by either:

    1) Reinstalling the file from backup
    2) Getting the header file from another system

    John

  6. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On May 29, 4:23špm, bonix...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 29 May, 08:39, James_Szabadics wrote:

    > > > Thanks John,

    > > > I may need to obtain these files from somewhere else I guess?

    > > > Would appreciate if someone could check the file sizes and checksum of
    > > > this file on their SCO MP3 6.0.0 system and tell me what it is.

    > > > I wonder if the expectation in the MP3 upgrade is wrong or if the file
    > > > size and file modification date on my system is already the same as
    > > > everyone elses.

    > > > Regards

    > > > James- Hide quoted text -

    > > My file sizes and dates are

    > > # ls -l `find / -name curses.h`
    > > -r--r--r-- š š1 bin š š šbin š š š57714 Jun š5 š2007/opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > > 6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > > -r--r--r-- š š1 bin š š šbin š š š 1537 May 22 š2007 /opt/K/SCO/unixds/
    > > 6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    > > lrwxrwxrwx š š1 root š š sys š š š š 51 May 22 š2007 /osr5/usr/include/
    > > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/unixds/6.0.0Ni/osr5/usr/include/curses.h
    > > lrwxrwxrwx š š1 root š š sys š š š š 44 May 22 š2007 /usr/include/
    > > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > > #

    > James,
    >
    > MP3 does not update curses.h. The problem you have is that while
    > installing MP3
    > the Software Manager does a check of the files on the system and it is
    > telling you
    > that
    >
    > /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > is not the right size or checksum. On my system
    >
    > ls -l /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > returns:
    >
    > -r--r--r-- š š1 bin š š šbin š š š57708 Apr 15 15:32 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > You can "fix" this problem by either:
    >
    > 1) Reinstalling the file from backup
    > 2) Getting the header file from another system
    >
    > John- Hide quoted text -

    John,

    I just checked our main server which is a different box to the one i
    reported the original issue on and although it was installed using the
    same OS install media and MP2 CD and it has an identical file size and
    date to my DR server for curses.h!!! ?.

    -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57714 Jun 5 2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h

    scoadmin software lists the following:

    SCO OpenServer Release 6.0.0 (ver 6.0.0Ni) 
     SCO OpenServer Release 6.0.0 Development System (ver
    6.0.0Ni) 
     rsync - remote file synchronization (ver
    2.6.4Sa) 
     SCO OpenServer Release 6.0.0 Maintenance Pack 2 (ver
    1.0.0Dy)

    Does the loading of the "Development system" modify curses.h perhaps ?

    Regards

    James

  7. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On 30 May, 06:59, James_Szabadics wrote:

    > Does the loading of the "Development system" modify curses.h perhaps ?

    No, the curses it includes is the same as that provided by the base
    operating system.

    John

  8. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On Jun 4, 11:44*pm, bonix...@gmail.com wrote:
    > On 30 May, 06:59, James_Szabadics wrote:
    >
    > > Does the loading of the "Development system" modify curses.h perhaps ?

    > No, the curses it includes is the same as that provided by the base
    > operating system.
    >
    > John

    Well I am at a loss. If MP1 and MP2 doesnt update curses and the
    development system doesnt update curses than how can i have the same
    identical size and date file on two separate installations?

    It makes no sense to me why my curses.h would be older. Your curses.h
    has a modified date of Apr15 but maybe that just reflects the date of
    your installation?

    Something is wrong with the expected vs actual size during that
    software check but i doubt it is a file corruption that occurred in an
    identical way on two separate systems unless my original installation
    media is the source of corruption.

  9. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On 9 Jun, 07:49, James_Szabadics wrote:

    > Well I am at a loss. If MP1 and MP2 doesnt update curses and the
    > development system doesnt update curses than how can i have the same
    > identical size and date file on two separate installations?
    >
    > It makes no sense to me why my curses.h would be older. Your curses.h
    > has a modified date of Apr15 but maybe that just reflects the date of
    > your installation?
    >
    > Something is wrong with the expected vs actual size during that
    > software check but i doubt it is a file corruption that occurred in an
    > identical way on two separate systems unless my original installation
    > media is the source of corruption.

    James,

    If you want to get to the bottom of what is going on here then
    you may want to report this to your SCO Support provider for
    further investigation.

    As mentioned in earlier replies, the error is something you an
    safely ignore if you are not using this header file.

    John

  10. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    James Szabadics wrote:

    > > > Does the loading of the "Development system" modify curses.h perhaps ?

    I wouldn't be surprised if loading the GNU DS portion of the system
    modified some header files. It adds some #ifdefs to keep certain things
    out of the view of userland code.

    You should have multiple files matching the wildcard path
    /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h (at least if OSR6's corruption
    of the Unix filename space is as thorough as OSR5's). Do:

    ls -l /usr/include/curses.h
    ls -l /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h

    In the second command, substitute the full pathname of the first one's
    pointed-to symlink, but change the version number portion to '*'.

    Once you've found two such files, with different sizes, you can `diff`
    them and learn exactly what was changed during the DS installation.

    >Bela<

  11. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > You should have multiple files matching the wildcard path
    > /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h (at least if OSR6's corruption
    > of the Unix filename space is as thorough as OSR5's). Do:

    Hello, Bela.

    I guess this has been explained many times before, but I have always
    wondered why the OpenServer family has that tangle of filename space
    links for core system files...

    Is it some compatibility layer for Xenix? Why are all those soft-links
    around to core system files?

    Regards.

  12. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    Pepe typed (on Tue, Jun 10, 2008 at 10:51:17PM +0200):
    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >> You should have multiple files matching the wildcard path
    >> /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h (at least if OSR6's corruption
    >> of the Unix filename space is as thorough as OSR5's). Do:

    > Hello, Bela.
    >
    > I guess this has been explained many times before, but I have always
    > wondered why the OpenServer family has that tangle of filename space
    > links for core system files...
    >
    > Is it some compatibility layer for Xenix? Why are all those soft-links
    > around to core system files?

    Nothing remotely related to Xenix!

    Whitepaper attached...

    --
    JP

  13. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On Jun 10, 3:33*am, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > I wouldn't be surprised if loading the GNU DS portion of the system
    > modified some header files. *It adds some #ifdefs to keep certain things
    > out of the view of userland code.
    >
    > You should have multiple files matching the wildcard path
    > /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h (at least if OSR6's corruption
    > of the Unix filename space is as thorough as OSR5's). *Do:
    >
    > * ls -l /usr/include/curses.h
    > * ls -l /opt/K/SCO/unixds/*/usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > In the second command, substitute the full pathname of the first one's
    > pointed-to symlink, but change the version number portion to '*'.
    >
    > Once you've found two such files, with different sizes, you can `diff`
    > them and learn exactly what was changed during the DS installation.
    >

    > >Bela<- Hide quoted text -

    Bela,

    I ran the commands and this was the output....

    # ls -l /usr/include/curses.h
    lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 44 May 22 2007 /usr/include/
    curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    # ls -l /opt/K/SCO/Unix/*/usr/include/curses.h
    -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57714 Jun 5 2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    #

    It seems I dont have anything to compare......

    Regards

    James

  14. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    James Szabadics wrote:

    > # ls -l /usr/include/curses.h
    > lrwxrwxrwx 1 root sys 44 May 22 2007 /usr/include/
    > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > # ls -l /opt/K/SCO/Unix/*/usr/include/curses.h
    > -r--r--r-- 1 bin bin 57714 Jun 5 2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > 6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > It seems I dont have anything to compare......

    Hmmm. Well, run this (it will take a while):

    # find / -type f -name curses.h | xargs ls -log > /tmp/curses.out

    There's a real good chance this will also just find the one file. It
    might also find hundreds, which is why I'm having you redirect it to a
    file instead of just barf it on the screen.

    If still no joy, mount the OSR6 install CD, look for the VOL.000.000
    files. These are cpio archives. There are also VOL.000.000.files
    files, listing the contents. grep these for curses.h. Once you find
    the right archive, extract curses.h into a temporary location, then
    compare it to your current copy.

    Don't actually take any action (don't replace the file with the "good"
    version), just tell us how they differ:

    diff /tmp/curses.h /usr/include/curses.h

    I bet this will turn out to be some specific intentional patch done by
    something you installed.

    >Bela<

  15. Re: OSR 6.0.0 MP3 installation errors

    On Jun 26, 5:36*pm, Bela Lubkin wrote:

    > > # ls -l /usr/include/curses.h
    > > lrwxrwxrwx * *1 root * * sys * * * * 44 May 22 *2007 /usr/include/
    > > curses.h -> /opt/K/SCO/Unix/6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h
    > > # ls -l /opt/K/SCO/Unix/*/usr/include/curses.h
    > > -r--r--r-- * *1 bin * * *bin * * *57714 Jun *5 *2007 /opt/K/SCO/Unix/
    > > 6.0.0Ni/usr/include/curses.h

    > > It seems I dont have anything to compare......

    > Hmmm. *Well, run this (it will take a while):
    >
    > * # find / -type f -name curses.h | xargs ls -log > /tmp/curses.out
    >
    > There's a real good chance this will also just find the one file. *It
    > might also find hundreds, which is why I'm having you redirect it to a
    > file instead of just barf it on the screen.
    >
    > If still no joy, mount the OSR6 install CD, look for the VOL.000.000
    > files. *These are cpio archives. *There are also VOL.000.000.files
    > files, listing the contents. *grep these for curses.h. *Once you find
    > the right archive, extract curses.h into a temporary location, then
    > compare it to your current copy.
    >
    > Don't actually take any action (don't replace the file with the "good"
    > version), just tell us how they differ:
    >
    > * diff /tmp/curses.h /usr/include/curses.h
    >
    > I bet this will turn out to be some specific intentional patch done by
    > something you installed.
    >

    > >Bela<- Hide quoted text -

    The answer arrived in my inbox today...

    I asked the vendor of our ERP system if they modify curses.h for any
    reason. They do!

    I already had the box to MP2 before I let them compile their system so
    the last time I applied an MP it was in its correct size and checksum
    and MP3 is the first one since the vendors installed their APPGEN
    package.

    Many thanks to all who assisted! I really appreciate this group.

    Regards

    James

+ Reply to Thread