OSR 6 disaster recovery - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR 6 disaster recovery - SCO ; Hello All, I have found the new "emergency_disk" and "emergency_rec" to be a tad limited in practice - I'm sure it's just me. I had completed a load of OSR 6, MP3 and various other drivers and third-party utilities. I ...

  1. OSR 6 disaster recovery

    Hello All,

    I have found the new "emergency_disk" and "emergency_rec" to be a tad
    limited in practice - I'm sure it's just me.

    I had completed a load of OSR 6, MP3 and various other drivers and
    third-party utilities. I decided to create an emergency boot floppy -
    oops CD now. The boot media was created using emergency_disk and I
    tested the media by booting from it. The boot process was completely
    hidden by the splash screen so I could not see what "drivers" it was
    choices. BEWARE - you can't test the tape by choosing the menu choice
    that seems to be appropriate for this - it goes right into trying to
    recovery your system with NO prompts or confirmation. This also
    rendered my disk with no fdisk table - obliterating my install. No
    worries, right? I mean I have a couple of backups I made prior to
    doing this - one was SCO's "emergency_rec" utility to create a tape
    for use in restoring your system. Of course, now I know that tape
    does not have everything on it.

    So after completely rebuilding the system, I called BRU (my backup
    utility vendor) to discuss the method they recommend. They say a bare
    metal restore is done by reloading the OS, re-installing BRU and
    finally overwriting your fresh install from tape - right over the
    booted and active filesystem! just reboot, I was told, it'll be fine.

    Isn't this an extremely large step backwards in the restore
    procedure? I use to boot from emergency floppy (that I was able to
    add my third-party binaries to) and create fdisk partitions,
    filesystem (divvy) tables, restore from tape directly, and voila back
    in business.

    What is the consensus? How do you provide bare-metal recovery on an
    OSR 6 system?

    --Steve

  2. Re: OSR 6 disaster recovery

    s_malt@yahoo.com typed (on Mon, May 19, 2008 at 03:00:44PM -0700):

    | How do you provide bare-metal recovery on an OSR 6 system?

    By using BackupEDGE. I've used its recovery CDs, they work.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: OSR 6 disaster recovery

    s_malt@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Hello All,
    >
    > I have found the new "emergency_disk" and "emergency_rec" to be a tad
    > limited in practice - I'm sure it's just me.
    >
    > I had completed a load of OSR 6, MP3 and various other drivers and
    > third-party utilities. I decided to create an emergency boot floppy -
    > oops CD now. The boot media was created using emergency_disk and I
    > tested the media by booting from it. The boot process was completely
    > hidden by the splash screen so I could not see what "drivers" it was
    > choices. BEWARE - you can't test the tape by choosing the menu choice
    > that seems to be appropriate for this - it goes right into trying to
    > recovery your system with NO prompts or confirmation. This also
    > rendered my disk with no fdisk table - obliterating my install. No
    > worries, right? I mean I have a couple of backups I made prior to
    > doing this - one was SCO's "emergency_rec" utility to create a tape
    > for use in restoring your system. Of course, now I know that tape
    > does not have everything on it.
    >
    > So after completely rebuilding the system, I called BRU (my backup
    > utility vendor) to discuss the method they recommend. They say a bare
    > metal restore is done by reloading the OS, re-installing BRU and
    > finally overwriting your fresh install from tape - right over the
    > booted and active filesystem! just reboot, I was told, it'll be fine.
    >
    > Isn't this an extremely large step backwards in the restore
    > procedure? I use to boot from emergency floppy (that I was able to
    > add my third-party binaries to) and create fdisk partitions,
    > filesystem (divvy) tables, restore from tape directly, and voila back
    > in business.
    >
    > What is the consensus? How do you provide bare-metal recovery on an
    > OSR 6 system?
    >
    > --Steve

    I'll be darned - I didn't realize BRU was still around - and their
    website doesn't have any info on any provided recovery tools. Huh.

    Get BackupEdge (www.microlite.com) or Lone-Tar (www.lone-tar.com)

    They are far superior to the native emergency tools provided by SCO -
    and have been for the past 20 years or so.

    And both have robust bare metal emergency recovery either included
    (BackupEdge) or an option (Rescue Ranger from Lone-tar).

    They both boot into full recovery menus from a CD or diskettes, and use
    their regular backup media to do full recovery bare metal restores - no
    special backup procedures required.

    And full function Demos are available at their web sites.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  4. Re: OSR 6 disaster recovery

    BackupEDGE does really work. Not sure if Lone-Tar's Rescue Ranger is
    available for SCO 6 yet.

+ Reply to Thread