vi dup - SCO

This is a discussion on vi dup - SCO ; Hello everyone out there, Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from 'vi'ing the same file in another session? As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same file, and ...

  1. vi dup

    Hello everyone out there,

    Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from
    'vi'ing the same file in another session?

    As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same
    file, and inadvertently (and lastly) exiting the one without the mods.
    What a GREAT way to waste valuable time.

    Any clues, other then being more careful?

    - Jeff H

  2. Re: vi dup

    On Mon, May 19, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >Hello everyone out there,
    >
    > Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from
    >'vi'ing the same file in another session?
    >
    > As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same
    >file, and inadvertently (and lastly) exiting the one without the mods.
    >What a GREAT way to waste valuable time.

    Use vim instead of vi. Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    edit the file results in a warning message. Vim uses that file
    for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
    free enterprise, said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
    show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
    our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
    -- Cameron Hawley

  3. Re: vi dup

    On 20 May, 01:08, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Mon, May 19, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > >Hello everyone out there,

    > > * Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from
    > >'vi'ing the same file in another session?

    > > *As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same
    > >file, and inadvertently (and lastly) exiting the one without the mods.
    > >What a GREAT way to waste valuable time. *

    > Use vim instead of vi. *Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    > same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    > edit the file results in a warning message. *Vim uses that file
    > for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    > file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: * b...@celestial.com *Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/*PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > Voice: * * * * *(206) 236-1676 *Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > Fax: * * * * * *(206) 232-9186
    >
    > We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
    > free enterprise, said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
    > show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
    > our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
    > * * -- Cameron Hawley

    There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    tricky.

  4. Re: vi dup

    On May 20, 1:26 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 20 May, 01:08, Bill Campbell wrote:
    >

    > > On Mon, May 19, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > > >Hello everyone out there,

    > > > Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from
    > > >'vi'ing the same file in another session?

    > > > As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same
    > > >file, and inadvertently (and lastly) exiting the one without the mods.
    > > >What a GREAT way to waste valuable time.

    > > Use vim instead of vi. Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    > > same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    > > edit the file results in a warning message. Vim uses that file
    > > for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    > > file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.

    > > Bill
    > > --
    > > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > > Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    > > Fax: (206) 232-9186

    > > We maintain that the very foundation of our way of life is what we call
    > > free enterprise, said Cash McCall, "but when one of our citizens
    > > show enough free enterprise to pile up a little of that profit, we do
    > > our best to make him feel that he ought to be ashamed of himself."
    > > -- Cameron Hawley

    > There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    > installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    > tricky.

    FWIW vim is included in OpenServer 6.

    --RLR

  5. Re: vi dup

    Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Tue, May 20, 2008 at 01:26:21AM -0700):
    | On 20 May, 01:08, Bill Campbell wrote:
    | > On Mon, May 19, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    | > >Hello everyone out there,
    | >
    | > > * Is there a way within 'vi', that can prevent the same user from
    | > >'vi'ing the same file in another session?
    | >
    | > > *As I get distracted with calls, etc, I may end up editing the same
    | > >file, and inadvertently (and lastly) exiting the one without the mods.
    | > >What a GREAT way to waste valuable time. *
    | >
    | > Use vim instead of vi. *Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    | > same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    | > edit the file results in a warning message. *Vim uses that file
    | > for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    | > file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.
    | >
    | > Bill
    | > --
    |
    | There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    | installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    | tricky.

    Nico,
    Forgive my ignorance, but what other way then installing from
    scratch? Do you mean just take the 'vim' binary and put it in
    the $PATH ??

    Best Regards,
    Jeff H

  6. Re: vi dup

    > On May 20, 1:26 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >> > Use vim instead of vi. Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    >> > same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    >> > edit the file results in a warning message. Vim uses that file
    >> > for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    >> > file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.

    >> There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    >> installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    >> tricky.

    > FWIW vim is included in OpenServer 6.
    >
    > --RLR

    There is also a very current version in osr507mp5, and like several other
    things from osr507mp5, it can be installed on at least osr506 as long as
    it's got oss646c. Probably 505 and 504 too though I haven't tried more than
    506 myself yet.

    I have a stand-alone vim 6.something on my site but the osr507mp5 one is
    newer and more complete.

  7. Re: vi dup

    On Wed, 21 May 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:

    > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Tue, May 20, 2008 at 01:26:21AM -0700):

    > | > Use vim instead of vi. *Vim creates a .filename.swp file in the
    > | > same directory as the file being edited, and a second attempt to
    > | > edit the file results in a warning message. *Vim uses that file
    > | > for recovery with ``vim -r filename'' instead of burying some
    > | > file under /var/tmp/somethingorother.
    > | >
    > | > Bill
    > | > --
    > |
    > | There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    > | installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    > | tricky.
    >
    > Nico,
    > Forgive my ignorance, but what other way then installing from
    > scratch? Do you mean just take the 'vim' binary and put it in
    > the $PATH ??

    Perhaps he meant "from SOURCE [code]"?

  8. Re: vi dup

    On 23 May, 00:39, jd wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 May 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:

    > > | There are usable version of vim at Skunkware. I do't recommend
    > > | installing it from scratch, getting the terminal behavior i a bit
    > > | tricky.

    > > Nico,
    > > * Forgive my ignorance, but what other way then installing from
    > > scratch? * Do you mean just take the 'vim' binary and put it in
    > > the $PATH ??

    > Perhaps he meant "from SOURCE [code]"?- Hide quoted text -

    Jeff is precisely right. The latest vim is version 7, which I tried
    compiling under OSR 5.0.6, but found the configuratioin to be awkward
    and couldn't get some of the terminal behavior right.

  9. Re: vi dup

    On 21 May, 20:42, "Brian K. White" wrote:
> [...]

    Brian, that's the fifth cd with the OSR 5.0.7 currentn distribution?
    I'm very happy with gnutools from OSR 5.0.7, and a better vim would
    help me a bit.

+ Reply to Thread