HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper - SCO

This is a discussion on HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper - SCO ; Hi, I'm using OSR 507 and I would like to print a report on white paper TRAY 2 and same report on yellow paper TRAY3. Is there a way that I can select which tray from the lp command ? ...

  1. HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper

    Hi,

    I'm using OSR 507 and I would like to print a report on white paper TRAY 2
    and same report on yellow paper TRAY3. Is there a way that I can select
    which tray from the lp command ?

    I need something like this :

    lp -dhplaser -t 2 report.txt
    lp -dhplaser -t 3 report.txt

    Thanks so much

  2. Re: HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper

    Enrique Arredondo typed (on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:24:32PM -0700):

    | I'm using OSR 507 and I would like to print a report on white paper TRAY 2
    | and same report on yellow paper TRAY3. Is there a way that I can select
    | which tray from the lp command ?
    |
    | I need something like this :
    |
    | lp -dhplaser -t 2 report.txt
    | lp -dhplaser -t 3 report.txt

    Not a big deal. Modify whatever lp interface script you are using
    to have that -t option issue the necessary escape sequence.

    Could be
    Tray 1: \033 & l 1 H
    Tray 2: \033 & l 4 H
    Tray 3: \033 & l 7 H
    Tray 4: \033 & l 8 H
    or maybe not quite. There seem to be some variations among
    various PCL implementations, so just try different numbers.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper

    On May 13, 9:45 pm, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Enrique Arredondo typed (on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:24:32PM -0700):
    > |
    > | I'm using OSR 507 and I would like to print a report on white paper TRAY 2
    > | and same report on yellow paper TRAY3. Is there a way that I can select
    > | which tray from the lp command ?
    > |
    > | I need something like this :
    > |
    > | lp -dhplaser -t 2 report.txt
    > | lp -dhplaser -t 3 report.txt
    >
    > Not a big deal. Modify whatever lp interface script you are using
    > to have that -t option issue the necessary escape sequence.
    >
    > Could be
    > Tray 1: \033 & l 1 H
    > Tray 2: \033 & l 4 H
    > Tray 3: \033 & l 7 H
    > Tray 4: \033 & l 8 H
    > or maybe not quite. There seem to be some variations among
    > various PCL implementations, so just try different numbers.
    >
    > --
    > JP

    Enrique,

    I just got done fiddling with a PCL "compatible" Minolta and the trays
    were
    numbered 4, 1, 5, 8

    Tray 1: \033 & l 4 H
    Tray 2: \033 & l 1 H
    Tray 3: \033 & l 5 H
    Tray 4: \033 & l 8 H

    Good luck,
    Dan

  4. Re: HP laserjet 4250 with 2 types of paper

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Enrique Arredondo typed (on Tue, May 13, 2008 at 03:24:32PM -0700):
    > |
    > | I'm using OSR 507 and I would like to print a report on white paper TRAY 2
    > | and same report on yellow paper TRAY3. Is there a way that I can select
    > | which tray from the lp command ?
    > |
    > | I need something like this :
    > |
    > | lp -dhplaser -t 2 report.txt
    > | lp -dhplaser -t 3 report.txt
    >
    > Not a big deal. Modify whatever lp interface script you are using
    > to have that -t option issue the necessary escape sequence.
    >
    > Could be
    > Tray 1: \033 & l 1 H
    > Tray 2: \033 & l 4 H
    > Tray 3: \033 & l 7 H
    > Tray 4: \033 & l 8 H
    > or maybe not quite. There seem to be some variations among
    > various PCL implementations, so just try different numbers.

    The interface /usr/spool/lp/model/HPLaserJet contains ...

    # OPTIONS RECOGNIZED: ( all may be preceded by a "-" )
    # Paper Control: (Default single sided feed from paper cassette) #
    # ub | ubin feed paper from upper cassette #
    # lb | lbin feed paper from lower cassette #

    -ub | ub | -ubin | ubin | upper | -upper)
    # set up printer to feed from upper cassette
    pagemode="ubin";;

    case "$pagemode" in
    def);;
    man) echo "\033&l2H\c";;
    ubin) echo "\033&l1H\c";;
    lbin) echo "\033&l4H\c";;
    esac

    I expect this could easily be extended along the lines JPR suggests by
    editing a copy of the interface model and using lpadmin to change the
    interface used by the printer so it uses the modified one.

    lpadmin -p printername -M HPLaserJet_with_trays

    Then you'd be able to do something like

    lp -d printername -o tray2 ...

    --
    RGB