Is anyone here playing with Xen, and care to compare notes? - SCO

This is a discussion on Is anyone here playing with Xen, and care to compare notes? - SCO ; I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for legacy software, and for various reasons it's making me unhappy. I've got serious experience with Xen, but don't have a host with full virtualizaton capable hardware that I can ...

  1. Is anyone here playing with Xen, and care to compare notes?

    I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for legacy software,
    and for various reasons it's making me unhappy.

    I've got serious experience with Xen, but don't have a host with full
    virtualizaton capable hardware that I can test ideas on. Is anyone out there
    running a recent version of Xen on anything and care to try to get an install
    working?

    See, installing Xen 5.0.6 on VMware seems to require using the 5.0.7 boot
    floppy image and manually installing BusLogic SCSI adapter drivers. But the
    Xen setup tools don't include options for setting this up from the command
    line, and I'm short of time to take my VMWare server down and experiment.

  2. Re: Is anyone here playing with Xen, and care to compare notes?

    On Sat, 10 May 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for legacy software,
    > and for various reasons it's making me unhappy.
    >
    > I've got serious experience with Xen, but don't have a host with full
    > virtualizaton capable hardware that I can test ideas on. Is anyone out there
    > running a recent version of Xen on anything and care to try to get an install
    > working?
    >
    > See, installing Xen 5.0.6 on VMware seems to require using the 5.0.7 boot
    > floppy image and manually installing BusLogic SCSI adapter drivers. But the
    > Xen setup tools don't include options for setting this up from the command
    > line, and I'm short of time to take my VMWare server down and experiment.

    What problems are you having? Mine seems to run really well I am using
    SATA disks.

    I have this in my osr507.vmx file.

    #!/usr/bin/vmware
    config.version = "8"
    virtualHW.version = "4"
    scsi0.present = "TRUE"
    memsize = "256"
    ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide0:0.fileName = "osr507.vmdk"
    ide0:0.writeThrough = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.present = "TRUE"
    ide1:0.fileName = "/dev/scd0"
    ide1:0.deviceType = "cdrom-raw"
    floppy0.startConnected = "FALSE"
    floppy0.fileName = "/dev/fd0"
    Ethernet0.present = "TRUE"
    displayName = "osr507"
    guestOS = "other"
    priority.grabbed = "normal"
    priority.ungrabbed = "normal"
    powerType.powerOff = "hard"
    powerType.powerOn = "hard"
    powerType.suspend = "hard"
    powerType.reset = "hard"
    autostart = "poweron"
    ide0:0.redo = ""
    ethernet0.addressType = "generated"
    uuid.location = "56 4d 00 a0 66 37 25 64-bf 33 08 d3 aa 9f 18 b6"
    uuid.bios = "56 4d 00 a0 66 37 25 64-bf 33 08 d3 aa 9f 18 b6"
    ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0c:29:9f:18:b6"
    ethernet0.generatedAddressOffset = "0"
    ethernet0.virtualDev = "e1000"

    usb.present = "FALSE"
    usb.generic.autoconnect = "FALSE"

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  3. more about VMware than Xen, Re: Is anyone here playing with Xen

    Boyd Lynn Gerber, replying to Nico Kadel-Garcia:

    Nico>> I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for
    Nico>> legacy software, and for various reasons it's making me unhappy.

    Don't you mean you are using "VMware" to run "SCO"?

    When you identify the virtualization platform only by the company name
    you are committing the same error that so many comp.unix.sco.misc users
    have been called on in the past. The company is not the product.

    Nico>> See, installing Xen 5.0.6 on VMware seems to require using the
    Nico>> 5.0.7 boot floppy image and manually installing BusLogic SCSI
    Nico>> adapter drivers. But the Xen setup tools don't include options
    Nico>> for setting this up from the command line, and I'm short of time
    Nico>> to take my VMWare server down and experiment.

    I think you mean "SCO [OpenServer] 5.0.6" the first time the word "Xen"
    appears in the above lines.

    Here is where the choice of VMware virtualization platform makes a big
    difference. VMware's _hosted_ platforms (VMware Server, Workstation,
    Player, ACE, and Fusion) support the presentation of emulated IDE disks
    to the guest OS. VMware ESX does not; it supports only emulated SCSI
    disks (on emulated BusLogic BT-958 and LSI Logic 53c1030 HBAs).

    No release of OSR5 has LSI 1030 drivers in its boot image. They do have
    BusLogic drivers, but the build-in "blc" driver has a bug which prevents
    it from operating the VMware emulated adapter. You end up having to use
    a BTLD in both cases (either to supply the 1030 driver or to replace the
    BusLogic driver with a debugged version).

    You can avoid these issues on the hosted platforms by using IDE disk
    emulation.

    Boyd> What problems are you having? Mine seems to run really well
    Boyd> I am using SATA disks.

    Here I think you are talking about the physical disks. This is
    irrelevant as long as they work with your virtualization platform.

    Boyd> I have this in my osr507.vmx file.

    Boyd> ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    Boyd> ide0:0.fileName = "osr507.vmdk"

    This shows an emulated IDE disk, therefore you are apparently using one
    of the hosted products. IDE is definitely the easiest choice if you are
    able to take it.

    I keep hoping that ESX will eventually add support for IDE disk
    emulation. Then all the pain of installing OSR5 with BTLDs could be
    avoided. This would also benefit various other guest OSes.

    >Bela<

  4. Re: more about VMware than Xen, Re: Is anyone here playing with Xen

    On Sun, 11 May 2008, Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber, replying to Nico Kadel-Garcia:
    > Nico>> I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for
    > Nico>> legacy software, and for various reasons it's making me unhappy.
    >
    > Don't you mean you are using "VMware" to run "SCO"?

    Yes, I run all OpenServer 5.0.7, OpenServer 6.0, and UnixWare 7.1.4 as
    guest OS's on openSUSE 10.3 with VMWare Workstation.

    > When you identify the virtualization platform only by the company name
    > you are committing the same error that so many comp.unix.sco.misc users
    > have been called on in the past. The company is not the product.
    >
    > Nico>> See, installing Xen 5.0.6 on VMware seems to require using the
    > Nico>> 5.0.7 boot floppy image and manually installing BusLogic SCSI
    > Nico>> adapter drivers. But the Xen setup tools don't include options
    > Nico>> for setting this up from the command line, and I'm short of time
    > Nico>> to take my VMWare server down and experiment.
    >
    > I think you mean "SCO [OpenServer] 5.0.6" the first time the word "Xen"
    > appears in the above lines.
    >
    > Here is where the choice of VMware virtualization platform makes a big
    > difference. VMware's _hosted_ platforms (VMware Server, Workstation,
    > Player, ACE, and Fusion) support the presentation of emulated IDE disks
    > to the guest OS. VMware ESX does not; it supports only emulated SCSI
    > disks (on emulated BusLogic BT-958 and LSI Logic 53c1030 HBAs).
    >
    > No release of OSR5 has LSI 1030 drivers in its boot image. They do have
    > BusLogic drivers, but the build-in "blc" driver has a bug which prevents
    > it from operating the VMware emulated adapter. You end up having to use
    > a BTLD in both cases (either to supply the 1030 driver or to replace the
    > BusLogic driver with a debugged version).
    >
    > You can avoid these issues on the hosted platforms by using IDE disk
    > emulation.

    This is the option I choose to do. I find it to be the best.

    > Boyd> What problems are you having? Mine seems to run really well
    > Boyd> I am using SATA disks.
    >
    > Here I think you are talking about the physical disks. This is
    > irrelevant as long as they work with your virtualization platform.

    Yes, I am. I agree. I just wanted to be clear what I was using as my
    system.

    > Boyd> I have this in my osr507.vmx file.
    >
    > Boyd> ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    > Boyd> ide0:0.fileName = "osr507.vmdk"
    >
    > This shows an emulated IDE disk, therefore you are apparently using one
    > of the hosted products. IDE is definitely the easiest choice if you are
    > able to take it.
    >
    > I keep hoping that ESX will eventually add support for IDE disk
    > emulation. Then all the pain of installing OSR5 with BTLDs could be
    > avoided. This would also benefit various other guest OSes.

    Thanks for the comments. Thanks also for all the good work you have done.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  5. Re: more about VMware than Xen, Re: Is anyone here playing with Xen

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber, replying to Nico Kadel-Garcia:
    >
    > Nico>> I've been dealing with VMware to run SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 for
    > Nico>> legacy software, and for various reasons it's making me unhappy.
    >
    > Don't you mean you are using "VMware" to run "SCO"?
    >
    > When you identify the virtualization platform only by the company name
    > you are committing the same error that so many comp.unix.sco.misc users
    > have been called on in the past. The company is not the product.

    Well, I've been using both VMware Workstation 6 and VMWare ESX 3.5. VMware
    Workstation 6 supports IDE emulation, VMware ESX 3.5 does not. Dang it! It
    makes installing on ESX much more painful than on Workstation.

    > Nico>> See, installing Xen 5.0.6 on VMware seems to require using the
    > Nico>> 5.0.7 boot floppy image and manually installing BusLogic SCSI
    > Nico>> adapter drivers. But the Xen setup tools don't include options
    > Nico>> for setting this up from the command line, and I'm short of time
    > Nico>> to take my VMWare server down and experiment.
    >
    > I think you mean "SCO [OpenServer] 5.0.6" the first time the word "Xen"
    > appears in the above lines.
    >
    > Here is where the choice of VMware virtualization platform makes a big
    > difference. VMware's _hosted_ platforms (VMware Server, Workstation,
    > Player, ACE, and Fusion) support the presentation of emulated IDE disks
    > to the guest OS. VMware ESX does not; it supports only emulated SCSI
    > disks (on emulated BusLogic BT-958 and LSI Logic 53c1030 HBAs).

    > No release of OSR5 has LSI 1030 drivers in its boot image. They do have
    > BusLogic drivers, but the build-in "blc" driver has a bug which prevents
    > it from operating the VMware emulated adapter. You end up having to use
    > a BTLD in both cases (either to supply the 1030 driver or to replace the
    > BusLogic driver with a debugged version).

    Which is well-described in AP Lawrence's blog about the issues.

    > You can avoid these issues on the hosted platforms by using IDE disk
    > emulation.
    >
    > Boyd> What problems are you having? Mine seems to run really well
    > Boyd> I am using SATA disks.
    >
    > Here I think you are talking about the physical disks. This is
    > irrelevant as long as they work with your virtualization platform.

    That wasn't me. That was Boyd.

    > Boyd> I have this in my osr507.vmx file.
    >
    > Boyd> ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    > Boyd> ide0:0.fileName = "osr507.vmdk"
    >
    > This shows an emulated IDE disk, therefore you are apparently using one
    > of the hosted products. IDE is definitely the easiest choice if you are
    > able to take it.
    >
    > I keep hoping that ESX will eventually add support for IDE disk
    > emulation. Then all the pain of installing OSR5 with BTLDs could be
    > avoided. This would also benefit various other guest OSes.
    >
    >> Bela<

    I'm inclined to agree. But what I was really looking for, was people emulating
    OpenServer under *Xen* rather than under VMware. I suspect it's possible
    using the BusLogic SCSI installation technique, but the RHEL based VMWare
    management tools don't have built-in facilities for enable floppy and CD
    access or booting. It's pesky!

  6. Re: more about VMware than Xen, Re: Is anyone here playing with Xen

    On 11 May, 23:32, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> [...]

    > > Boyd> ide0:0.present = "TRUE"
    > > Boyd> ide0:0.fileName = "osr507.vmdk"

    > > This shows an emulated IDE disk, therefore you are apparently using one
    > > of the hosted products. *IDE is definitely the easiest choice if you are
    > > able to take it.

    > > I keep hoping that ESX will eventually add support for IDE disk
    > > emulation. *Then all the pain of installing OSR5 with BTLDs could be
    > > avoided. *This would also benefit various other guest OSes.

    > >> Bela<

    > I'm inclined to agree. But what I was really looking for, was people emulating
    > * OpenServer under *Xen* rather than under VMware. I suspect it's possible
    > using the BusLogic SCSI installation technique, but the RHEL based VMWare
    > management tools don't have built-in facilities for enable floppy and CD
    > access or booting. It's pesky!- Hide quoted text -

    That was a typo. I meant the 'RHEL based _Xen_ management tools',
    namely virt-install and virt-manager.

+ Reply to Thread