OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP. - SCO

This is a discussion on OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP. - SCO ; Hello, I am trying to get the kermit binary for OpenServer 5.0.5 serial to an old failing OpenServer 5.0.5 system from windows XP. The client system is failing and we are afraid if we turn it off it will not ...

  1. OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP.

    Hello,

    I am trying to get the kermit binary for OpenServer 5.0.5 serial to an old
    failing OpenServer 5.0.5 system from windows XP.

    The client system is failing and we are afraid if we turn it off it will
    not come back up. Once I get kermit to the machine I can use it. What I
    am trying to do is as follows.

    cu -l a05

    On the XP machine cat out the com port

    file with
    ----------------------------------
    ~%
    echo '~>':/tmp/test
    cat test
    echo '~>'
    ----------------------------------
    test file

    Once I am sure I have things going to a file on the SCO machine. I will
    zip the kermit program uuencode the file and use it as above.

    I need to transfer from the SCO 5.0.5 host 2 GB of files.

    Any one know how to get kermit or some other program so I can get the
    files off the system. They do not have a backup. The floopy drive does
    not work. The CD drive also does not work. The digi card works and they
    have 15 people able to get in an run the application. What is the best
    way to get these accounting files off so I can get them on the new system?

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  2. Re: OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP.

    Boyd Lynn Gerber typed (on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:29:56PM -0600):
    | Hello,
    |
    | I am trying to get the kermit binary for OpenServer 5.0.5 serial to an old
    | failing OpenServer 5.0.5 system from windows XP.
    |
    | The client system is failing and we are afraid if we turn it off it will
    | not come back up. Once I get kermit to the machine I can use it. What I
    | am trying to do is as follows.
    |
    | cu -l a05
    |
    | On the XP machine cat out the com port
    |
    | file with
    | ----------------------------------
    | ~%
    | echo '~>':/tmp/test
    | cat test
    | echo '~>'
    | ----------------------------------
    | test file
    |

    | Once I am sure I have things going to a file on the SCO machine. I will
    | zip the kermit program uuencode the file and use it as above.
    |
    | I need to transfer from the SCO 5.0.5 host 2 GB of files.
    |
    | Any one know how to get kermit or some other program so I can get the
    | files off the system. They do not have a backup. The floopy drive does
    | not work. The CD drive also does not work. The digi card works and they
    | have 15 people able to get in an run the application. What is the best
    | way to get these accounting files off so I can get them on the new system?
    |
    | Any ideas?

    Try xc instead of cu...

    --
    JP

  3. Re: OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP.

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber typed (on Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 02:29:56PM -0600):
    > | I am trying to get the kermit binary for OpenServer 5.0.5 serial to an old
    > | failing OpenServer 5.0.5 system from windows XP.
    > |
    > | The client system is failing and we are afraid if we turn it off it will
    > | not come back up. Once I get kermit to the machine I can use it. What I
    > | am trying to do is as follows.
    > |
    > | cu -l a05
    > |
    > | On the XP machine cat out the com port
    > |
    > | file with
    > | ----------------------------------
    > | ~%
    > | echo '~>':/tmp/test
    > | cat test
    > | echo '~>'
    > | ----------------------------------
    > | test file
    > |

    > | Once I am sure I have things going to a file on the SCO machine. I will
    > | zip the kermit program uuencode the file and use it as above.
    > |
    > | I need to transfer from the SCO 5.0.5 host 2 GB of files.
    > |
    > | Any one know how to get kermit or some other program so I can get the
    > | files off the system. They do not have a backup. The floopy drive does
    > | not work. The CD drive also does not work. The digi card works and they
    > | have 15 people able to get in an run the application. What is the best
    > | way to get these accounting files off so I can get them on the new system?
    > |
    > | Any ideas?
    >
    > Try xc instead of cu...

    Does xc come standard on OpenServer 5? I type in xc and I get command not
    found. That is what I tried first. This system is was installed by
    someone that is not around anymore. I thought xc had to be installed
    later. There is no skunkware on this machine. Just the basic OS install
    and the application.

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  4. Re: OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP.

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I am trying to get the kermit binary for OpenServer 5.0.5 serial to an old
    > failing OpenServer 5.0.5 system from windows XP.
    >
    > The client system is failing and we are afraid if we turn it off it will
    > not come back up. Once I get kermit to the machine I can use it. What I
    > am trying to do is as follows.
    >
    > cu -l a05
    >
    > On the XP machine cat out the com port
    >
    > file with
    > ----------------------------------
    > ~%
    > echo '~>':/tmp/test
    > cat test
    > echo '~>'
    > ----------------------------------
    > test file
    >

    > Once I am sure I have things going to a file on the SCO machine. I will
    > zip the kermit program uuencode the file and use it as above.
    >
    > I need to transfer from the SCO 5.0.5 host 2 GB of files.
    >
    > Any one know how to get kermit or some other program so I can get the
    > files off the system. They do not have a backup. The floopy drive does
    > not work. The CD drive also does not work. The digi card works and they
    > have 15 people able to get in an run the application. What is the best
    > way to get these accounting files off so I can get them on the new system?
    >
    > Any ideas?

    Is there a modem on the system? If so, set up uucp between the system
    and one of your SCO boxes and then transfer the kermit or rz/sz.

    If you have a laptop with UNIX, you should be able to set up a null modem
    cable between the two systems and uucp the accounting files from the
    5.0.5 host to your laptop. If the Digi controller is a smart controller, it
    should run at 115K or greater. Set up your laptop and let it chunk away all night
    if necessary.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  5. Re: OpenServer host 5.0.5 digi port transfer kermit from XP.

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > Is there a modem on the system? If so, set up uucp between the system
    > and one of your SCO boxes and then transfer the kermit or rz/sz.

    No modem direct connect. I am working with the customer over the phone.
    They are 340 miles from where I am located.

    > If you have a laptop with UNIX, you should be able to set up a null
    > modem cable between the two systems and uucp the accounting files from
    > the 5.0.5 host to your laptop. If the Digi controller is a smart
    > controller, it should run at 115K or greater. Set up your laptop and let
    > it chunk away all night if necessary.

    I wish I were there. My laptop boots any of 6 operating systems. I can
    boot to windows XP, windows vista, OpenSUSE 10.3, OpenServer 5.0.7,
    OpenServer 6.0, and UnixWare 7.1.4.

    They only have their OpenServer 5.0.5 system, 30 dumb terminals, some old
    MS X systems and 2 MS windows XP systems. I have a new system coming
    in for them right now. I am using this as a reason for them to upgrade.
    Since they have not backups, I want to get everything off their systems.
    They have not powered the system down in over 4 years. I had them put a
    floppy in the drive and the system could not read it. The system also
    hung on the CD. It is really hard doing this by phone and fax.

    He just called and he was getting packet errors with kermit on the large
    files. He did not have any problems with the small test files. It sounds
    like he has the serial port messed up. He just told me with everything
    back to normal he is not getting a login on the terminal any more.

    He is going to give up for tonight. We were hoping to get the files
    downloading over night. He is going to pickup a null modem cable and move
    the XP system next to his server. Tomorrow he is going to call again once
    he has the two system hooked up with a null modem cable.

    This is the time when not being on location is a real pain.

    Thanks,

    --
    Boyd Gerber