OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter - SCO

This is a discussion on OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter - SCO ; I have a device called the UDS1100 made by lantronix that let's me convert any serial device into a TCP IP device, I tried this on printers and dumb terminals and it works really good. My final task is to ...

  1. OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    I have a device called the UDS1100 made by lantronix that let's me convert
    any serial device into a TCP IP device, I tried this on printers and dumb
    terminals and it works really good. My final task is to move my fax modems
    that I run with VSIFAX on unix from tty1A13 or tty3E13 into this new device.

    Has anyone played out with this configuration and figure out a way of making
    the scripts or dialers that communicate with the modem to hit the assigned
    IP address and port so the modem works ?

    In the case of the printer my "model" file starts with :

    #!/bin/sh
    YOUR_PRINTER_OR_IP="192.168.2.19"
    PORT=9100

    and then I just assign the printer to that model and use /dev/null and that
    works out great.

    Can I do the same trick for the external modem thru the "Serial-Ethernet"
    device that wants to be called on port 10001 ?
    IP address= "192.168.6.182"
    Port="10001"

    Thanks

  2. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    >I have a device called the UDS1100 made by lantronix that let's me convert
    > any serial device into a TCP IP device, I tried this on printers and dumb
    > terminals and it works really good. My final task is to move my fax modems
    > that I run with VSIFAX on unix from tty1A13 or tty3E13 into this new device.
    >
    > Has anyone played out with this configuration and figure out a way of making
    > the scripts or dialers that communicate with the modem to hit the assigned
    > IP address and port so the modem works ?
    >
    > In the case of the printer my "model" file starts with :
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > YOUR_PRINTER_OR_IP="192.168.2.19"
    > PORT=9100
    >

    > and then I just assign the printer to that model and use /dev/null and that
    > works out great.
    >

    > Can I do the same trick for the external modem thru the "Serial-Ethernet"
    > device that wants to be called on port 10001 ?
    > IP address= "192.168.6.182"
    > Port="10001"
    >
    > Thanks

    I have used a few different serial device servers (digi, equinox, perle) with fax modems and both hylafax and vsifax.

    However:

    * In all cases the device had a driver and/or daemon that provided tty device nodes that work just like ordinary hardware serial ports. vsifax didn't need any special config, just tell it the tty device name and perhaps doctor the permissions on those tty's for vsifax.

    * You are really not supposed to use fax modems over tcp like that because the fax protocol is very timing dependant, and the tcp/ip layer makes few promises about timing, so you may or may not see a lot of failed faxes even though everything is configured absolutely perfectly. This is not my opinion but the word right from ifax (hylafax) and VSI.

    I had a lightly loaded gigabit network and only about 8 modems on a 32 port digi (or a 16 port equinox for a while). Nics, switch, and digi were all pretty over specced for the dribble of traffic 8 14.4kb modems can deliver.
    It _mostly_ worked ok. I don't do that any more though.

  3. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    "Brian K. White" wrote in message

    >I have a device called the UDS1100 made by lantronix that let's me convert
    > any serial device into a TCP IP device, I tried this on printers and dumb
    > terminals and it works really good. My final task is to move my fax modems
    > that I run with VSIFAX on unix from tty1A13 or tty3E13 into this new
    > device.
    >
    > Has anyone played out with this configuration and figure out a way of
    > making
    > the scripts or dialers that communicate with the modem to hit the assigned
    > IP address and port so the modem works ?
    >
    > In the case of the printer my "model" file starts with :
    >
    > #!/bin/sh
    > YOUR_PRINTER_OR_IP="192.168.2.19"
    > PORT=9100
    >

    > and then I just assign the printer to that model and use /dev/null and
    > that
    > works out great.
    >

    > Can I do the same trick for the external modem thru the "Serial-Ethernet"
    > device that wants to be called on port 10001 ?
    > IP address= "192.168.6.182"
    > Port="10001"
    >
    > Thanks

    I have used a few different serial device servers (digi, equinox, perle)
    with fax modems and both hylafax and vsifax.

    However:

    * In all cases the device had a driver and/or daemon that provided tty
    device nodes that work just like ordinary hardware serial ports. vsifax
    didn't need any special config, just tell it the tty device name and perhaps
    doctor the permissions on those tty's for vsifax.

    * You are really not supposed to use fax modems over tcp like that because
    the fax protocol is very timing dependant, and the tcp/ip layer makes few
    promises about timing, so you may or may not see a lot of failed faxes even
    though everything is configured absolutely perfectly. This is not my opinion
    but the word right from ifax (hylafax) and VSI.

    I had a lightly loaded gigabit network and only about 8 modems on a 32 port
    digi (or a 16 port equinox for a while). Nics, switch, and digi were all
    pretty over specced for the dribble of traffic 8 14.4kb modems can deliver.
    It _mostly_ worked ok. I don't do that any more though.

    How about if I create a "VIRTUAL Serial Port" and then use that one instead
    ? Is there such thing on SCO Unix ?

    Thanks

  4. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    "Enrique Arredondo" wrote in message

    > "Brian K. White" wrote in message

    I read more about it and it looks like I need to create a pseudo terminal,
    and that way I can just assign that /dev/ttyp to vsifax and it will work.

    How can I create a pseudo-terminal ?

  5. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    >>I have a device called the UDS1100 made by lantronix that let's me convert
    >> any serial device into a TCP IP device, I tried this on printers and dumb
    >> terminals and it works really good. My final task is to move my fax modems
    >> that I run with VSIFAX on unix from tty1A13 or tty3E13 into this new
    >> device.
    >>
    >> Has anyone played out with this configuration and figure out a way of
    >> making
    >> the scripts or dialers that communicate with the modem to hit the assigned
    >> IP address and port so the modem works ?
    >>
    >> In the case of the printer my "model" file starts with :
    >>
    >> #!/bin/sh
    >> YOUR_PRINTER_OR_IP="192.168.2.19"
    >> PORT=9100
    >>

    >> and then I just assign the printer to that model and use /dev/null and
    >> that
    >> works out great.
    >>

    >> Can I do the same trick for the external modem thru the "Serial-Ethernet"
    >> device that wants to be called on port 10001 ?
    >> IP address= "192.168.6.182"
    >> Port="10001"
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > I have used a few different serial device servers (digi, equinox, perle)
    > with fax modems and both hylafax and vsifax.
    >
    > However:
    >
    > * In all cases the device had a driver and/or daemon that provided tty
    > device nodes that work just like ordinary hardware serial ports. vsifax
    > didn't need any special config, just tell it the tty device name and perhaps
    > doctor the permissions on those tty's for vsifax.
    >
    > * You are really not supposed to use fax modems over tcp like that because
    > the fax protocol is very timing dependant, and the tcp/ip layer makes few
    > promises about timing, so you may or may not see a lot of failed faxes even
    > though everything is configured absolutely perfectly. This is not my opinion
    > but the word right from ifax (hylafax) and VSI.
    >
    > I had a lightly loaded gigabit network and only about 8 modems on a 32 port
    > digi (or a 16 port equinox for a while). Nics, switch, and digi were all
    > pretty over specced for the dribble of traffic 8 14.4kb modems can deliver.
    > It _mostly_ worked ok. I don't do that any more though.
    >
    > --
    > Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    > +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    > filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!
    >

    > How about if I create a "VIRTUAL Serial Port" and then use that one instead
    > ? Is there such thing on SCO Unix ?

    What did I just say?
    Thats exactly what I just said the drivers for most such devices provide.

    I looks and smells just like a serial port, so, from the software's point of view it thinks it's fine.

    But that doesn't mean it will actually _work_ well, even though the virtual port driver is perfectly robust.

    The problem has to do with timing. The fax protocol requires things to happen within specific windows of time, and tcp/ip does not garantee that any given packet will get delivered within any specific window of time.

    Confusingly, on most reasonable lan's it'll actually work ok mostly, but even on an over-spec'd lan, tcp/ip just plain doesn't make promises about how long a given packet will take to get delivered. That means sometimes the fax protocol will break no matter what. Even on a lightly loaded lan there are spikes and bursts of other traffic, and those will cause your virtual port traffic to incur little pauses, a packet may take 300 ms to get delivered instead of .01 ms, and the fax that was in progress fails because the handshaking protocol broke because the server needed to acknowledge the next phase within 50ms and it took 10 ms to actually do the work and then the virtual port took another 300 ms to react to a command because the tcp/ip packet that delivered the command took that long to get to the serial device server.

    If you had a switch that allows you to set QoS levels then you could give traffic on the tcp port that the virtual serial driver uses higher priority, like what you do for voip. That would probably reduce the occurance of delayed commands significantly.

    And if you use only fax class 2 modems then since they do most of the fax protocol in the modem hardware, that will probably also help to ensure it works even more often since it would reduce the number of timing-critical commands between the server and the modem.

    But it still can never be 100% that way because tcp/ip just plain does not promise that anything ever will happen either instantly nor even within any specific time, whereas the fax protocol does require and promise that various things happen within various times.

  6. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

> [...]

    device server.

    If you had a switch that allows you to set QoS levels then you could give
    traffic on the tcp port that the virtual serial driver uses higher priority,
    like what you do for voip. That would probably reduce the occurance of
    delayed commands significantly.

    And if you use only fax class 2 modems then since they do most of the fax
    protocol in the modem hardware, that will probably also help to ensure it
    works even more often since it would reduce the number of timing-critical
    commands between the server and the modem.

    But it still can never be 100% that way because tcp/ip just plain does not
    promise that anything ever will happen either instantly nor even within any
    specific time, whereas the fax protocol does require and promise that
    various things happen within various times.

    I did it!!

    I compiled this code :
    ftp://ftp.lantronix.com/priv/svr_tty/svr_tty-README.txt

    created a config file,

    runned the daemon

    and fax is working!!!!!

    the only thing is that now ssh can't create ptyp ports or some strange thing
    that I thing is related to this program that locks a device.

  7. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter

    > "Brian K. White" wrote in message

    well , what can I say, you were right from the beggining, but I tried, Fax
    is sent with no problems, but the other side gets a fax that it's fine on
    some rows and them fades on other rows and so on :P

    So I'll keep tweaking it or getting one of those class 2 modems.

    thanks.

  8. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernetadapter

    On Thu, May 08, 2008, Enrique Arredondo wrote:

    >well , what can I say, you were right from the beggining, but I tried, Fax
    >is sent with no problems, but the other side gets a fax that it's fine on
    >some rows and them fades on other rows and so on :P
    >
    >So I'll keep tweaking it or getting one of those class 2 modems.

    I have found with HylaFAX and Multitech MT5634ZBA modems that it works best
    configured as Class 1, not Class 2 as I would have expected. I am
    attaching a working HylaFAX configuration file from the SLES9 system that
    handles our incoming and outgoing faxes.

    I have found that some experimentation may be required sending faxes as not
    all fax machines are created equal. There are several sendfax options for
    compression, speed, etc. that may be tweaked to get things working right
    for a particular destination.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within
    limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within
    the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and
    always so when it violates the rights of the individual.
    -Thomas Jefferson

  9. Re: OSR 507 using an external modem with an USB serial to Ethernet adapter