Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6 - SCO ; David wrote: > I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on > a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which > there are drivers for SCO or generic enough ...

  1. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    David wrote:
    > I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on
    > a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
    > there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also
    > need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >
    > All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
    > psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    > phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    > kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    > application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >
    > Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
    > this is much appreciated.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > David

    I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for several
    clients needing to fax from SCO.

    ActiveFax runs on a Windows platform and accepts print jobs from UNIX
    on any port you care to set up. I customarily choose port 9100 and then
    set up a netcat printer to print to the Windows host IP on port 9100 using
    the HPLaserJet.net interface.

    ActivFax simulates an HP LaserJet printer. So anything you would normally
    send to a LaserJet, you can send to ActivFax. You can embed the phone number
    you want the fax to be sent to using the string @Fnnn text for field@. In the
    below example the subject is "cost Quote for Computer, the recipient phone
    number is 816-525-5076 and field F316 is placed on the cover page.

    @F307 Cost Quote for Computer@@F320 816-525-5076@@F316 Here is the quote you req
    uested.@ 1 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2
    3 4 5
    2 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2 3 4 5
    3 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 910 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 920 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 930 1 2 3 4 5

    ActivFax is not cheep. The last copy a client licensed was $695 for 5 users
    (up from $495 when I first started using ActivFax). The good thing is that
    UNIX print jobs are all considered as from one user. We've never had to
    purchase more then the base license.

    I had one client with two separate companies in the same office space. I was
    able to set up ActiveFax with customized cover pages for each company.

    Note: I am not a dealer for ActiveFax. I have my clients' purchase directly
    from www.actfax.com website. You can download a fully functioning demonstration
    program that will fax but puts a big "demo" banner across the sent fax pages.

    Because it is hosted on a Windows machine, you also get windows drivers that
    allow you to print from any Windows application. If you don't have embedded
    fields, the Windows drivers will pop up the ActiveFax client that allows you
    to select recipient from a phone book, add text to the cover page, preview the
    resulting fax and then send it.

    Echoing Bill Campbell, we always use Multitech External modems.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  2. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > David wrote:
    >> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700
    >> on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for
    >> which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in
    >> general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >>
    >> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to
    >> a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    >> phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    >> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    >> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >>
    >> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
    >> this is much appreciated.
    >>
    >> Regards,
    >>
    >> David
    >>

    > I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for several
    > clients needing to fax from SCO.

    That means buying and supporting another Windows box. Why not just run it with
    HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box, and get full
    incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services? The software's free: it
    does take some attention to set up correctly, but for a simple setup it's
    pretty trivial.

  3. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> David wrote:
    >>> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700
    >>> on a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for
    >>> which there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in
    >>> general. I also need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >>>
    >>> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to
    >>> a psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    >>> phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    >>> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    >>> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >>>
    >>> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to
    >>> accomplish this is much appreciated.
    >>>
    >>> Regards,
    >>>
    >>> David
    >>>

    >> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
    >> several
    >> clients needing to fax from SCO.

    > That means buying and supporting another Windows box.

    No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

    Just pick a system, Win 98 to Win server 2003, and install ActivFax
    server software & Client, Hook up a modem and Bam, your done. To print
    from UNIX use the ActiveFax setting to enable RAW server and select your
    port. Set up a netcat printer and Bam, UNIX faxing.

    ActiveFax Will also accept jobs via rlp, and Windows Share folder
    (place a file in a specified windows share, ActiveFax will see it,
    grab the file and fax it).

    Why not just run
    > it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box, and
    > get full incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services?

    ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand and
    will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox based upon
    phone number destination of the incoming fax.

    And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    server?

    The
    > software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly, but
    > for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.

    Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    None of my UNIX users use X-Windows and viewing Faxes are then problematical.

    With ActiveFax, just fire up the ActivFax client on any Windows pc and it searches
    the network for the ActiveFax server. Click on Outgoing -> sent, and view all outgoing
    fax transmissions. Click on Incoming -> unread and see newly received fax messages.
    Create archive folders and move fax messages to archives by client, or any
    criteria you select.

    Do what you like, the OP asked for options. HylaFAX, VSI Fax, Faximum,
    and ActiveFax are all options he can investigate.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  4. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

    >> Why not just run it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another
    >> UNIX or Linux box, and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and
    >> dial-up modem services?

    > ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
    > and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
    > based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
    >
    > And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    > as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    > the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    > server?
    >
    >> The software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly,
    >> but for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.

    > Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
    6.0.0. In what way did it defeat you?

    --
    JP

  5. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):
    >
    >>> Why not just run it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another
    >>> UNIX or Linux box, and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and
    >>> dial-up modem services?

    >> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
    >> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
    >> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
    >>
    >> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    >> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    >> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    >> server?
    >>
    >>> The software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly,
    >>> but for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.

    >> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    > I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
    > 6.0.0. In what way did it defeat you?

    JP,

    I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
    how it works was so long ago.

    I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
    to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
    or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
    was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
    programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
    don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
    what to do to get the product installed and working.

    I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
    on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
    additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
    to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
    There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.

    I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the product
    working and still feel that way toward it.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  6. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

    >>> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
    >>> several
    >>> clients needing to fax from SCO.

    >> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.

    > No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

    A plethora of desktop Windows installations, I'm sure most of us have such. A
    plethora of server-class insallations for proper industrial services? Those
    aren't so common.

    > Just pick a system, Win 98 to Win server 2003, and install ActivFax
    > server software & Client, Hook up a modem and Bam, your done. To print
    > from UNIX use the ActiveFax setting to enable RAW server and select your
    > port. Set up a netcat printer and Bam, UNIX faxing.

    So you're going to run a critical service for incoming and outgoing business
    documents *on Win98*? That's begging for security and service pain.

    > ActiveFax Will also accept jobs via rlp, and Windows Share folder
    > (place a file in a specified windows share, ActiveFax will see it,
    > grab the file and fax it).

    Well. good. How well does it handle cover pages and how does it determine the
    target phone number with such Windows share dropped targets? And publishing to
    a Windows share from a SCO box sounds.... fairly painful. I assume this share
    is on the ActiveFax server itself, and thus you'd need to set up an SMB
    mounted access to it on the SCO box?

    > Why not just run
    >> it with HylaFAX on the SCO box itself, or another UNIX or Linux box,
    >> and get full incoming and coutgoing fax and dial-up modem services?

    > ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand and
    > will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox based upon
    > phone number destination of the incoming fax.

    The incoming phone number delivery is a cute trick. I loath sending business
    documents over email due to mail storage and security issues, and prefer to
    provide notification to recipients of a secure, web-accisslble location for
    such documents.

    > And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    > as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    > the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    > server?

    I find it much easier to take a modest box and install a Linux than a Windows.
    The licenses are cheaper, it runs on less powerful hardware than a modern
    Windows, and it's historically vastly easier to keep updated and secure.

    My SCO experience is limited to OpenServer, but my UNIX experience goes back
    to BSD 4.1, and my Windows experience back to DOS 6.22. For industrial class
    services, one-off UNIX and later Linux boxes have always been easier to
    install and support.

    > The
    >> software's free: it does take some attention to set up correctly, but
    >> for a simple setup it's pretty trivial.

    > Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    Now, that's unfortunate. Can you remember the issues? I'm expert with it (I
    did the SunOS port!), and would be happy to help solve the issues for you and
    help prevent similar problems for others in the future.

    > None of my UNIX users use X-Windows and viewing Faxes are then
    > problematical.

    *OH*. You want Irfanview! It works very well for Windows viewing of TIFF and
    TIFFg3 fax files!

    > With ActiveFax, just fire up the ActivFax client on any Windows pc and
    > it searches
    > the network for the ActiveFax server. Click on Outgoing -> sent, and
    > view all outgoing
    > fax transmissions. Click on Incoming -> unread and see newly received
    > fax messages.
    > Create archive folders and move fax messages to archives by client, or any
    > criteria you select.

    See, 'firing up the ActiveFax client on your Windows PC' means installing and
    using it from Windows. That's not real helpful for Macs, Linux, or UNIX clients.

    > Do what you like, the OP asked for options. HylaFAX, VSI Fax, Faximum,
    > and ActiveFax are all options he can investigate.

    Fair enough. I'm surprised at the difficulties you had with HylaFAX.

  7. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 05:10:20PM -0500):
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

    >>> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
    >>> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
    >>> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
    >>>
    >>> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    >>> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    >>> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    >>> server?

    >>> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    >> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
    >> 6.0.0. In what way did it defeat you?
    >>

    > JP,
    >
    > I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
    > how it works was so long ago.
    >
    > I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
    > to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
    > or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
    > was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
    > programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
    > don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
    > what to do to get the product installed and working.
    >
    > I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
    > on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
    > additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
    > to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
    > There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.
    >
    > I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the product
    > working and still feel that way toward it.

    I think Tony's instructions are OK, although I haven't peeked at them in
    quite some time.

    OTOH, when I need to install HylaFax on a new customer's site, I
    download my own tarballs from ftp.jpr.com, and use the README contained
    therein. Try it, you might like it; I believe I've pretty much nailed
    everything else you might need, and what to do and in which order.

    --
    JP

  8. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    On Sun, Apr 20, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

    >>> I have installed ActiveFax from Volger Software www.actfax.com for
    >>> several
    >>> clients needing to fax from SCO.

    >> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.

    >No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

    I don't. We have one OSR 5.0.6a system, a FreeBSD box, several
    Macs running OS X 10.4.?, and a three racks full of Linux boxen.
    Not a single machine running the Microsoft virus, Windows.

    We have HylaFAX running on a Linux box that also supports dialup
    uucp, uucp over tcp, and does e-mail forwarding for several of
    our clients. This machine replaced a Caldera 1.3 system running
    on a Pentium 75 for nine years or so before I finally retired it
    (it was a bit of fun figuring out the smail-3.2 and HylaFAX
    configurations that had been running for years unthouched :-).

    We have one customer running VSI*FAX. The only thing that has
    that I have not implemented with HylaFAX is overlaying form
    images with text for invoices. We do that using groff overlaying
    EPS images with the .PSPIC macros for invoicing, creating
    PostScript output which HylaFAX handles nicely.

    Faximum is another commercial *nix that has been around for
    years, and is quite good.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    ....government has nothing to give to anybody that it doesn't first take
    from somebody else. In other workds, all its relief and subsidy schemes
    are merely ways of robbing Peter to support Paul -- Henry Hazlitt

  9. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

    >>> ActiveFax does full incoming and outgoing fax as well as fax on demand
    >>> and will work with T1 phone links to deliver faxes to specific inbox
    >>> based upon phone number destination of the incoming fax.
    >>>
    >>> And your statement "That means buying and supporting another..." just
    >>> as easily can end as Linux or UNIX box. Again, who does not have all
    >>> the Windows boxes they need to press one into service as the ActiveFax
    >>> server?

    >>> Every time I've tried to set up HylaFAX it defeated me.

    >> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
    >> 6.0.0. In what way did it defeat you?
    >>

    > JP,
    >
    > I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
    > how it works was so long ago.
    >
    > I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
    > to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
    > or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
    > was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
    > programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
    > don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
    > what to do to get the product installed and working.
    >
    > I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
    > on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
    > additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in installing
    > to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
    > There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.

    Ahh. But you have a 'mkdev VSIfax', integrated to handle the phone numbers to
    fax from SCO systems to a Windows fax server? I'm.... amazed. Where is this
    integrated utility?

    I do sympathize with the difficulty you describe. HylaFAX was written
    primarily by Sam Leffler, one of the authors of BSD UNIX. As such, it's a
    powerful and well crafted tool, comfortable for programmers to install. Sam
    also was a core author of TIFF, the graphic format used for storing faxes by
    almost everyone. So he wrote robust, flexible tools to accomplish a wide
    variety of tasks well.

    But he didn't put in the prerequisites for you, especially for an AT&T based
    UNIX such as SCO. You'd need to install tools like bash, because ksh is not
    nearly so broadly used for shell scripting. And ghostscript, for getting
    superior printer drivers and rendering PDF and Postscript and other formats
    well, is also quite useful. And TIFF, used in numerous graphical tools such as
    ImageMagick and GIMP.

    > I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the
    > product
    > working and still feel that way toward it.

    Fair enough. I suspect you're missing out on a lot of useful open source tools
    which certainly weren't incorporated into OpenServer.

  10. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >>> Steve M. Fabac, Jr. typed (on Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 02:27:24PM -0500):

    >>> I've used it for both outgoing and incoming faxes on 5.0.6, 5.0.7, and
    >>> 6.0.0. In what way did it defeat you?
    >>>

    >> JP,
    >>
    >> I can't say as the last time I tried to install it on my system to see
    >> how it works was so long ago.
    >>
    >> I have a vague memory of it requiring more steps and additional utilities
    >> to get it to work. I'm not sure even which version I tried to install
    >> or where I got it from. There was some documentation but nothing that
    >> was a step by step setup instruction. The documentation was typical of
    >> programmers writing documentation: They know what they know, but they
    >> don't know what to tell someone totally unfamiliar with their software
    >> what to do to get the product installed and working.
    >>
    >> I searched today on Hylafax in c.u.s.m and found Tony Lawrence's how to
    >> on installing Hylafax on SCO. I read it and it reminded me of the
    >> additional software that I did not have and was uninterested in
    >> installing
    >> to support the product. I have no use for bash, or Ghostscript on UNIX.
    >> There was no "mkdev fax" script to setup and enable Hylafax.

    > Ahh. But you have a 'mkdev VSIfax', integrated to handle the phone
    > numbers to fax from SCO systems to a Windows fax server? I'm.... amazed.
    > Where is this integrated utility?

    Not necessary. In the last installation I was called by a client running
    AIX 4.3 as their company's primary application box. The application is
    a wholesale inventory control and sales system custom written in C.

    The owner/manager wanted to fax reports to a near by fax machines wherever
    he was in the world (travels a lot meeting new customers and suppliers).

    He is using a VPN from his laptop back to the office to access the
    application via telnet.

    He did not want to be dependent upon the customer's LAN and printers and
    have to suffer the setup (which he is incapable of doing) to integrate
    his laptop on a customer's network to print to their printers.

    I had previously performed work for the client in configuring SAMBA on his
    AIX server after someone else installed it and was unable to get it to
    run. To support remote printers over a VPN to a secondary warehouse
    location, I installed Netcat by compiling a custom source provided by
    Kevin Smith at Shade tree Software that he had modified as required to
    compile on AIX.

    I brought in a modem and installed the demo version of ActiveFax on the
    programmers XP workstation and assisted the programmer in modeling the
    code to modify his print routines to print to a netcat based "fax" printer
    with the necessary embedded fields to specify the target phone number
    where the report was to be faxed: "lp -dfax -s." After a couple days of
    testing, they licensed ActiveFAX and ordered a Multitech MT5634ZBA external
    modem.

    > I do sympathize with the difficulty you describe. HylaFAX was written
    > primarily by Sam Leffler, one of the authors of BSD UNIX. As such, it's
    > a powerful and well crafted tool, comfortable for programmers to
    > install. Sam also was a core author of TIFF, the graphic format used for
    > storing faxes by almost everyone. So he wrote robust, flexible tools to
    > accomplish a wide variety of tasks well.
    >
    > But he didn't put in the prerequisites for you, especially for an AT&T
    > based UNIX such as SCO. You'd need to install tools like bash, because
    > ksh is not nearly so broadly used for shell scripting. And ghostscript,
    > for getting superior printer drivers and rendering PDF and Postscript
    > and other formats well, is also quite useful. And TIFF, used in numerous
    > graphical tools such as ImageMagick and GIMP.
    >
    >> I guess you can say that I lacked the dedication I needed to get the
    >> product
    >> working and still feel that way toward it.

    > Fair enough. I suspect you're missing out on a lot of useful open source
    > tools which certainly weren't incorporated into OpenServer.

    I have not sworn off useful open source tools. I use what I need to
    accomplish the client's goals. Prior to SCO providing gnupg in a maintenance
    patch for 5.0.7, I downloaded and compiled Gnupg 1.4.1 for a client's
    system to encrypt and decrypt account files transferred to the client
    from their client using pgp. I've also downloaded and compiled Spamassassin
    and installed it on several client's systems.

    As for Hylafax and AIX: Since I was unsuccessful on SCO, I knew I didn't have
    a chance of getting it to work on the AIX box. I'm not an AIX admin and
    have to pour over the docs every time I touch AIX. Since I had previously
    installed Netcat on the AIX box and had used ActiveFax from SCO,
    proposing ActiveFax to the AIX client was a no-brainer. I knew I could
    install ActiveFax and get it to work with the client's AIX application.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  11. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Sun, Apr 20, 2008, Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:
    >> Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    >>> That means buying and supporting another Windows box.

    >> No, who does not have a plethora of Windows system in their office?

    > I don't. We have one OSR 5.0.6a system, a FreeBSD box, several
    > Macs running OS X 10.4.?, and a three racks full of Linux boxen.
    > Not a single machine running the Microsoft virus, Windows.

    Bill,

    Your company is a special case.

    Since I left AT&T in 1987 and begin working as an independent computer
    consultant, I have never been called to provide UNIX support to anyone
    with your mix of equipment. And I suspect that you have no need to call
    anyone to provide support on your systems.

    Since the general movement away from serial connected Wyse 60 style
    terminals to TCP/IP networked SCO servers with Windows work stations, I
    rarely get calls from anyone without Windows machines on the "knowledge
    workers" desks.

    One instance where the client had no choice was a CPA firm running UNIX
    based tax preparation software. Their software provider was purchased
    by a bigger provider of tax software and they received a letter in
    January of 1997 that the company would continue to provide and support
    tax preparation on UNIX into the foreseeable future. On April 16 of 1997
    the client received a letter that the foreseeable future had expired
    and "... if you want to stay with us, you will have to purchase our
    Windows based tax software for the next tax year."

    I put in nine Windows 95 pc's to replace their Wyse 60 terminals, upgraded
    the UNIX server from SCO 3.2v4.2 to a new box running SCO 5.0.2 with
    VisionFS, installed Cat-5 network cable and a Kingston 12-port 100M Hub
    all for the princely sum of $24,879 (equipment and OS only).

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

+ Reply to Thread