Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6 - SCO

This is a discussion on Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6 - SCO ; On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote: >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which >there are drivers for SCO or ...

  1. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote:
    >I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on
    >a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
    >there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also
    >need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >
    >All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
    >psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    >phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    >kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    >application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >
    >Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
    >this is much appreciated.

    It's been a long time since I did this on OpenServer. All our
    faxing is now done on Linux systems using the open source HylaFAX
    system, with *EXTERNAL* Multitech modems. I think that JP Radley
    is using HylaFAX on OpenServer so probably has it available,
    compiled, for download.

    I have tried quite a few modems over the years, but the only ones
    that have never given me problems are the Multitechs. Telebits
    were excellent as well, but are no longer available (I still have
    three WorldBlasers and a Trailblazer on the shelf in case we
    ever need to go back to dialup uucp :-)

    IHMO, one should only use external modems as their serial
    interface has been standard for decades, and it's far easier to
    power cycle a wedged external modem than to reboot a system to
    clear one.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    Memoirs -- Bill Clinton is getting $12 million for his memoirs, and his
    wife Hillary got $8 million for hers. That's $20 million for memories from
    two people who for eight years repeatedly testified they couldn't remember
    anything.

  2. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote:
    >> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on
    >> a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
    >> there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also
    >> need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >>
    >> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
    >> psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    >> phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    >> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    >> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >>
    >> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
    >> this is much appreciated.

    > It's been a long time since I did this on OpenServer. All our
    > faxing is now done on Linux systems using the open source HylaFAX
    > system, with *EXTERNAL* Multitech modems. I think that JP Radley
    > is using HylaFAX on OpenServer so probably has it available,
    > compiled, for download.

    I like HylaFAX, especially since I wrote the SunOS port of it, and some of the
    early Linux ports. It's extremely robust, and hte new updates at Brian White's
    website support PCL transmission using the ghostpdl package.

    > I have tried quite a few modems over the years, but the only ones
    > that have never given me problems are the Multitechs. Telebits
    > were excellent as well, but are no longer available (I still have
    > three WorldBlasers and a Trailblazer on the shelf in case we
    > ever need to go back to dialup uucp :-)
    >
    > IHMO, one should only use external modems as their serial
    > interface has been standard for decades, and it's far easier to
    > power cycle a wedged external modem than to reboot a system to
    > clear one.

    Well, for other platforms, Rocketport makes excellent cards, including some
    new PCI-X cards with multiple modem ports directly built in. But entegrating
    such tools with SCO Openserver would be asking for pain, due to the operating
    system's age, limited deployment, and lack of driver updates.

    But with the HylaFAX clients, you *COULD* send the fax requests to any other
    HylaFAX server on any other platform, if you needed it.

  3. Re: FAXing from SCO Unix 5.0.6

    Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Fri, Apr 18, 2008, David wrote:
    >> I'm supporting a SCO Unix 5.0.6 machine. I don't want to spend $1700 on
    >> a "fax server solution". Instead, I'm looking for a fax modem for which
    >> there are drivers for SCO or generic enough for Unix in general. I also
    >> need "fax software" to enable the whole endeavor.
    >>
    >> All I'm attempting is what is done quite readily in Windows: print to a
    >> psuedo-driver which, in turn, invokes the fax s/w that solicits the
    >> phone number to fax to and any other required info. I don't need all
    >> kinds of fancy options like choices for cover pages, etc. The
    >> application used by my client is strictly text-based - no GUI.
    >>
    >> Any advice for public-domain - or inexpensive - software to accomplish
    >> this is much appreciated.

    > It's been a long time since I did this on OpenServer. All our
    > faxing is now done on Linux systems using the open source HylaFAX
    > system, with *EXTERNAL* Multitech modems. I think that JP Radley
    > is using HylaFAX on OpenServer so probably has it available,
    > compiled, for download.

    I like HylaFAX, especially since I wrote the SunOS port of it, and some of the
    early Linux ports. It's extremely robust, and hte new updates at Brian White's
    website support PCL transmission using the ghostpdl package.

    > I have tried quite a few modems over the years, but the only ones
    > that have never given me problems are the Multitechs. Telebits
    > were excellent as well, but are no longer available (I still have
    > three WorldBlasers and a Trailblazer on the shelf in case we
    > ever need to go back to dialup uucp :-)
    >
    > IHMO, one should only use external modems as their serial
    > interface has been standard for decades, and it's far easier to
    > power cycle a wedged external modem than to reboot a system to
    > clear one.

    Well, for other platforms, Rocketport makes excellent cards, including some
    new PCI-X cards with multiple modem ports directly built in. But entegrating
    such tools with SCO Openserver would be asking for pain, due to the operating
    system's age, limited deployment, and lack of driver updates.

    But with the HylaFAX clients, you *COULD* send the fax requests to any other
    HylaFAX server on any other platform, if you needed it.

+ Reply to Thread