openssh 3.5 - SCO

This is a discussion on openssh 3.5 - SCO ; Hi Folks, I am having issues with ssh sessions timing out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does not support ...

  1. openssh 3.5

    Hi Folks,

    I am having issues with ssh sessions timing out/freezeing/disconnecting
    after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh 3.5, the google community mentions
    to add to sshd_config the following directive, but my feeling is that
    openssh 3.5 probably does not support it.

    ClientAliveInterval 60

    My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for 5.0.6.,
    my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.

    Thank You
    Joe

  2. Re: openssh 3.5

    garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM -0500):
    | I am having issues with ssh sessions timing out/freezeing/disconnecting
    | after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh 3.5, the google community mentions
    | to add to sshd_config the following directive, but my feeling is that
    | openssh 3.5 probably does not support it.
    |
    | ClientAliveInterval 60
    |
    | My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for 5.0.6.,
    | my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.

    In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:

    README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    --
    JP

  3. Re: openssh 3.5

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote in

    > garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    > -0500):
    >| I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    >| out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    >| 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    >| following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    >| not support it.
    >|
    >| ClientAliveInterval 60
    >|
    >| My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    >| 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    >
    > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:
    >
    > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    Thanks JP, will have a look.
    Joe

  4. Re: openssh 3.5

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote in

    > garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    > -0500):
    >| I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    >| out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    >| 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    >| following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    >| not support it.
    >|
    >| ClientAliveInterval 60
    >|
    >| My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    >| 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    >
    > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:
    >
    > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    Wow, couldn't have been simpler.

    All seems fine, connections appear to be steady.

    Thanks
    Joe

  5. Re: openssh 3.5

    garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Fri, Apr 11, 2008 at 05:11:57PM -0500):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley wrote in
    |
    | > garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    | > -0500):
    | >| I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    | >| out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    | >| 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    | >| following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    | >| not support it.
    | >|
    | >| ClientAliveInterval 60
    | >|
    | >| My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    | >| 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    | >
    | > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:
    | >
    | > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    | > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    | > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    | > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.
    | >

    | Wow, couldn't have been simpler.
    |
    | All seems fine, connections appear to be steady.
    |
    | Thanks
    | Joe

    My pleasure
    and/or
    you're welcome!

    --
    JP

  6. Re: openssh 3.5

    garbage.bin@gmail.com wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I am having issues with ssh sessions timing out/freezeing/disconnecting
    > after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh 3.5, the google community mentions
    > to add to sshd_config the following directive, but my feeling is that
    > openssh 3.5 probably does not support it.
    >
    > ClientAliveInterval 60
    >
    > My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for 5.0.6.,
    > my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    >
    > Thank You
    > Joe

    There is an OpenSSH 4 available, in one of the security patches for 5.0.6.
    Shall I look for it over the weekend for you?

  7. Re: openssh 3.5

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote in

    > garbage.bin@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    >> out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    >> 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    >> following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    >> not support it.
    >>
    >> ClientAliveInterval 60
    >>
    >> My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    >> 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    >>
    >> Thank You
    >> Joe

    > There is an OpenSSH 4 available, in one of the security patches for
    > 5.0.6. Shall I look for it over the weekend for you?

    JP's binaries is openssh_4.5p1, it's installed and running, will feel it
    out for a while.

    Thanks

  8. Re: openssh 3.5

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote in

    > garbage.bin@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    > -0500):
    >| I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    >| out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    >| 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    >| following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    >| not support it.
    >|
    >| ClientAliveInterval 60
    >|
    >| My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    >| 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.
    >
    > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:
    >
    > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    JP (and others),

    Could that version of openssh have problems with long filenames
    (including full path) when connecting with an SFTP client?

    Thinking that my initial client (WinSCP) was buggy, I went and tried 3
    other SFTP clients, they all do not list long filenames (path included as
    when I move the file downpath, they end up showing depending on as yet
    undetermined magic path/filename length).

    After having tried a few clients and played around with different
    filename lengths, I am sure the problem doesn't reside on the client side
    as they all get the same results.

    Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as my experience with SSH/SSL/SFTP
    and whatnot is limitted.

    One thing for sure, depending on where the file resides in the path and
    how long the filename is, determines if it shows up on an SFTP list.

    This was observed connected as root

    Thanks
    Joe

  9. Re: openssh 3.5

    On Apr 16, 8:26 pm, garbage....@gmail.com wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley wrote innews:20080410163408.GD2905@jpradley.jpr.com:
    >

    > > garbage....@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    > > -0500):
    > >| I am having issues with ssh sessions timing
    > >| out/freezeing/disconnecting after inactivity on 5.0.6 with openssh
    > >| 3.5, the google community mentions to add to sshd_config the
    > >| following directive, but my feeling is that openssh 3.5 probably does
    > >| not support it.
    > >|
    > >| ClientAliveInterval 60
    > >|
    > >| My question being, does a more recent version of openssh exist for
    > >| 5.0.6., my skills at compiling and whatnot are very limitted.

    > > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:

    > > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR 5.0.[4567]
    > > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    > > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    > > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    > JP (and others),
    >
    > Could that version of openssh have problems with long filenames
    > (including full path) when connecting with an SFTP client?
    >
    > Thinking that my initial client (WinSCP) was buggy, I went and tried 3
    > other SFTP clients, they all do not list long filenames (path included as
    > when I move the file downpath, they end up showing depending on as yet
    > undetermined magic path/filename length).
    >
    > After having tried a few clients and played around with different
    > filename lengths, I am sure the problem doesn't reside on the client side
    > as they all get the same results.
    >
    > Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as my experience with SSH/SSL/SFTP
    > and whatnot is limitted.
    >
    > One thing for sure, depending on where the file resides in the path and
    > how long the filename is, determines if it shows up on an SFTP list.
    >
    > This was observed connected as root
    >
    > Thanks
    > Joe

    If I remember correctly there is a maximum path name in OpenServer
    prior to 5.0.7, something like 255 bytes. Actually that may be a /bin/
    sh limitation rather than a kernel limitation.

    You can't change root's shell on OpenServer without breaking things
    (and you shouldn't be using the root account for SCP anyway). Set up
    another user with a different shell (perhaps /bin/ksh or /bin/bash)
    and try it. No guarantees, though.

    R Robert

  10. Re: openssh 3.5

    ThreeStar wrote in

    > On Apr 16, 8:26 pm, garbage....@gmail.com wrote:
    >> Jean-Pierre Radley wrote
    >> innews:20080410163408.GD2905@jpradley.jpr.com:
    >>

    >> > garbage....@gmail.com typed (on Thu, Apr 10, 2008 at 06:52:10AM
    >> > -0500):

    >> > In the openssh4osr5 tarball at ftp.jpr.com you can read:

    >> > README for installing JPRadley's binaries for OSR
    >> > 5.0.[4567]
    >> > of prngd version 0.9.29 of Jul 13, 2004
    >> > and OpenSSH version 4.5p1 of Nov 7, 2006
    >> > built using OpenSSL version 0.9.8d of Sep 28, 2006.

    >> JP (and others),
    >>
    >> Could that version of openssh have problems with long filenames
    >> (including full path) when connecting with an SFTP client?
    >>
    >> Thinking that my initial client (WinSCP) was buggy, I went and tried
    >> 3 other SFTP clients, they all do not list long filenames (path
    >> included as when I move the file downpath, they end up showing
    >> depending on as yet undetermined magic path/filename length).
    >>
    >> After having tried a few clients and played around with different
    >> filename lengths, I am sure the problem doesn't reside on the client
    >> side as they all get the same results.
    >>
    >> Maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree as my experience with
    >> SSH/SSL/SFTP and whatnot is limitted.
    >>
    >> One thing for sure, depending on where the file resides in the path
    >> and how long the filename is, determines if it shows up on an SFTP
    >> list.
    >>
    >> This was observed connected as root

    > If I remember correctly there is a maximum path name in OpenServer
    > prior to 5.0.7, something like 255 bytes. Actually that may be a
    > /bin/sh limitation rather than a kernel limitation.
    >
    > You can't change root's shell on OpenServer without breaking things
    > (and you shouldn't be using the root account for SCP anyway). Set up
    > another user with a different shell (perhaps /bin/ksh or /bin/bash)
    > and try it. No guarantees, though.

    What I observed seemed to be around 60 characters or so, path included.

    I will consider trying your suggestions for what it's worth.

    Thanks
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread