Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX, anyinformation? - SCO

This is a discussion on Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX, anyinformation? - SCO ; I may have to deal with a VMware ESX server to run some SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 apps. I've been using VMware Workstation successfully up to now, but haven't tried performance testing either under serious system load. (I was using Workstation ...

  1. Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX, anyinformation?

    I may have to deal with a VMware ESX server to run some SCO OpenServer
    5.0.6 apps. I've been using VMware Workstation successfully up to now,
    but haven't tried performance testing either under serious system
    load. (I was using Workstation for compilation and software debugging,
    not high-load operations.)

    What kind of performance penalty does VMware inflict on OpenServer? Is
    it less of a hit under ESX than under Workstation? Are the bottlenecks
    CPU, or disk, or network IO, or what? I recognize that these will
    differ for different VMware and OS setups, and would like to hear
    other people's experience.

    For example, I'm seeing noticeable SSH startup delays on virtualized
    SCO OpenServer clients: I assume this is due to a shortage of
    randomizatioin data for PRNG to synchronize the keys, but can't yet
    swear to that, and it's not that big a problem for me anyway.

    And what are people using for system backup in their virtual
    environments? It's clearly got to be network based, since talking to a
    local tape drive is begging for grief under virtualization, especially
    if the drive has to be shared. And talkiing to clones of the
    OpenServer file systems is infeasible with the RHEL 3 that is the
    foundation for VMware ESX.

    If it were me doing it from scratch, I'd recomend using an rsync based
    backup to a local network server capable of NFS serving the files back
    to the SCO server to ease file recovery, such as rsnapshot, but are
    there commercial tools that are known to work well? What do other
    people use?

  2. Re: Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX, anyinformation?

    On 2 Apr, 09:47, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > I may have to deal with a VMware ESX server to run some SCO OpenServer
    > 5.0.6 apps. I've been using VMware Workstation successfully up to now,
    > but haven't tried performance testing either under serious system
    > load. (I was using Workstation for compilation and software debugging,
    > not high-load operations.)
    >
    > What kind of performance penalty does VMware inflict on OpenServer? Is
    > it less of a hit under ESX than under Workstation? Are the bottlenecks
    > CPU, or disk, or network IO, or what? I recognize that these will
    > differ for different VMware and OS setups, and would like to hear
    > other people's experience.
    >
    > For example, I'm seeing noticeable SSH startup delays on virtualized
    > SCO OpenServer clients: I assume this is due to a shortage of
    > randomizatioin data for PRNG to synchronize the keys, but can't yet
    > swear to that, and it's not that big a problem for me anyway.
    >
    > And what are people using for system backup in their virtual
    > environments? It's clearly got to be network based, since talking to a
    > local tape drive is begging for grief under virtualization, especially
    > if the drive has to be shared. And talkiing to clones of the
    > OpenServer file systems is infeasible with the RHEL 3 that is the
    > foundation for VMware ESX.
    >
    > If it were me doing it from scratch, I'd recomend using an rsync based
    > backup to a local network server capable of NFS serving the files back
    > to the SCO server to ease file recovery, such as rsnapshot, but are
    > there commercial tools that are known to work well? What do other
    > people use?

    Nico,

    I am not sure that there is a nice easy answer to your question.

    One area where you will see benefit with ESX is that its not
    running on a guest OS itself.

    Where bottlenecks will occur will very much depend on what your
    application is doing, what NIC you selected to emulate, what
    disk driver (IDE or SCSI) you are using, how much menry you
    have allocated to the VM and what sort of CPU power.

    John

  3. Re: Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX,any information?

    On Fri, Apr 11, 2008, jboland@sco.com wrote:
    >On 2 Apr, 09:47, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >> I may have to deal with a VMware ESX server to run some SCO OpenServer
    >> 5.0.6 apps. I've been using VMware Workstation successfully up to now,
    >> but haven't tried performance testing either under serious system
    >> load. (I was using Workstation for compilation and software debugging,
    >> not high-load operations.)
    >>
    >> What kind of performance penalty does VMware inflict on OpenServer? Is
    >> it less of a hit under ESX than under Workstation? Are the bottlenecks
    >> CPU, or disk, or network IO, or what? I recognize that these will
    >> differ for different VMware and OS setups, and would like to hear
    >> other people's experience.
    >>
    >> For example, I'm seeing noticeable SSH startup delays on virtualized
    >> SCO OpenServer clients: I assume this is due to a shortage of
    >> randomizatioin data for PRNG to synchronize the keys, but can't yet
    >> swear to that, and it's not that big a problem for me anyway.

    I can't address this on VMware ESX, but ssh starts very quickly
    on an OSR 5.0.6a instance running under VMware Server. We are
    running most of the server software from the OpenPKG portable
    package management system on the SCO system.

    Most login delays I've seen, whether ssh or telnet, are due to
    DNS issues resolving the reverse DNS from the IP address.

    >> And what are people using for system backup in their virtual
    >> environments? It's clearly got to be network based, since talking to a
    >> local tape drive is begging for grief under virtualization, especially
    >> if the drive has to be shared. And talkiing to clones of the
    >> OpenServer file systems is infeasible with the RHEL 3 that is the
    >> foundation for VMware ESX.

    Most of our system backups use rsync to external hard drives or
    remote systems, whether on virtual machines or normal hosts.

    Bill
    Voice: (206) 236-1676 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820
    Fax: (206) 232-9186

    I don't make jokes, I just watch the Government and report the facts...
    Will Rogers

  4. Re: Performance of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 under VMware ESX, anyinformation?

    This thread is kind of old, but can I get a copy of your process of installing SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 onto VMware ESX?

    I have a copy of SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 and I want to install it into a VM on VMware ESX, but I am unsure of the process.

    Did you migrate an existing system or was it a fresh install?
    I need to migrate.

    Thanks,
    Joe

+ Reply to Thread