mutt -a redirect - SCO

This is a discussion on mutt -a redirect - SCO ; MUTT shell script question: SCO 5.0.6 mutt v1.5.3i : mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" -a file.pdf -c bill@dealer.com john@customer.com exit Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'. Ability to "attach" a PDF file The above example, when executed, goes into an ...

  1. mutt -a redirect

    MUTT shell script question: SCO 5.0.6 mutt v1.5.3i

    :
    mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" -a file.pdf -c bill@dealer.com john@customer.com
    exit

    Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    Ability to "attach" a PDF file

    The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" john@customer.com < file.pdf
    This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.

    Any ideas?
    - Jeff H

  2. Re: mutt -a redirect

    Believe it or not at 3/27/2008 08:17 AM, Jeff Hyman said:
    >MUTT shell script question: SCO 5.0.6 mutt v1.5.3i
    >
    >:
    >mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" -a file.pdf -c bill@dealer.com john@customer.com
    >exit
    >
    >Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    > Ability to "attach" a PDF file
    >
    >The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    >mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" john@customer.com < file.pdf
    >This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.
    >
    >Any ideas?
    >- Jeff H
    >This incoming email was scanned and deemed free of spam and virii by
    >R Squared Consultants.

    I use the following to send reports out of my database program
    (filepro), it is automated running via cron.

    08pfdpaidl:/usr/local/bin/mutt -s "07-08 PFD Paid Report" -a
    /reports/pfdpaid.doc rtr@rsquared.com
    In order for it to not go interactive you need the
    ' I put an explanation of the report in the file I redirect, it gets
    placed in he body of the email.

  3. Re: mutt -a redirect

    --- clipped ---

    mutt -s "SUBJECT" -a file.pdf -c copy@me.com to@you.com < /tmp/ascii

    This worked. - text in '/tmp/ascii' would show up in the body
    - file.pdf is attached.
    - no interaction

    I'm now going to tackle doing a loop where multiple 'file.pdf' files
    are attached to ONE email.

    Please forgive me for the early (unnecessary) post.
    - Jeff H

  4. Re: mutt -a redirect

    On 27 Mar, 12:17, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > MUTT shell script question: * *SCO 5.0.6 * *mutt v1.5.3i
    >
    > :
    > mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" *-a file.pdf *-c b...@dealer.com *j...@customer.com
    > exit
    >
    > Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    > * * * * * *Ability to "attach" a PDF file
    >
    > The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    > mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" j...@customer.com < file.pdf *
    > This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.
    >
    > Any ideas? *
    > - Jeff H

    Don't use mutt. Use the "mpack" utility to generate concatenatable
    files, and feed them to /bin/mail. Using a complex and pecular mail
    client such as mutt for system operations and non-interactice
    operations is begging for pain.

  5. Re: mutt -a redirect

    On Thu, Mar 27, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >On 27 Mar, 12:17, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >> MUTT shell script question: * *SCO 5.0.6 * *mutt v1.5.3i
    >>
    >> :
    >> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" *-a file.pdf *-c b...@dealer.com *j...@customer.com
    >> exit
    >>
    >> Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    >> * * * * * *Ability to "attach" a PDF file
    >>
    >> The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    >> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" j...@customer.com < file.pdf *
    >> This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.
    >>
    >> Any ideas? *
    >> - Jeff H

    >Don't use mutt. Use the "mpack" utility to generate concatenatable
    >files, and feed them to /bin/mail. Using a complex and pecular mail
    >client such as mutt for system operations and non-interactice
    >operations is begging for pain.

    The ``mpack'' I find with a Google search is a rather nasty piece
    of malware.

    Unless your mpack generates proper multipart MIME, the e-mail
    files will be difficult to handle with any modern mail client
    (uuencode is also deprecated).

    Bill

    During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
    a revolutionary act. --George Orwell

  6. Re: mutt -a redirect

    On 28 Mar, 04:53, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > >On 27 Mar, 12:17, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > >> MUTT shell script question: * *SCO 5.0.6 * *mutt v1.5.3i

    > >> :
    > >> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" *-a file.pdf *-c b...@dealer.com *j...@customer.com
    > >> exit

    > >> Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    > >> * * * * * *Ability to "attach" a PDF file

    > >> The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    > >> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" j...@customer.com < file.pdf *
    > >> This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.

    > >> Any ideas? *
    > >> - Jeff H

    > >Don't use mutt. Use the "mpack" utility to generate concatenatable
    > >files, and feed them to /bin/mail. Using a complex and pecular mail
    > >client such as mutt for system operations and non-interactice
    > >operations is begging for pain.

    > The ``mpack'' I find with a Google search is a rather nasty piece
    > of malware.
    >
    > Unless your mpack generates proper multipart MIME, the e-mail
    > files will be difficult to handle with any modern mail client
    > (uuencode is also deprecated).
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: * b...@celestial.com *Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/*PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > FAX: * * * * * *(206) 232-9186 *Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > During times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes
    > a revolutionary act. *--George Orwell- Hide quoted text -

    I'm referring to the product at Skunkware:
    ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...k-1.5-VOLS.tar

    It's also a standard product used in modern Linux systems for mime
    encapsulation of files from the command line.

  7. Re: mutt -a redirect

    > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>On 27 Mar, 12:17, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >>> MUTT shell script question: SCO 5.0.6 mutt v1.5.3i
    >>>
    >>> :
    >>> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" -a file.pdf -c b...@dealer.com j...@customer.com
    >>> exit
    >>>
    >>> Objective: Not having to interact with 'mutt'.
    >>> Ability to "attach" a PDF file
    >>>
    >>> The above example, when executed, goes into an interactive mode.
    >>> mutt -s "SUBJECT HEADER" j...@customer.com < file.pdf
    >>> This example does not solve the -[a]ttachment PDF issue.
    >>>
    >>> Any ideas?
    >>> - Jeff H

    >>Don't use mutt. Use the "mpack" utility to generate concatenatable
    >>files, and feed them to /bin/mail. Using a complex and pecular mail
    >>client such as mutt for system operations and non-interactice
    >>operations is begging for pain.

    > The ``mpack'' I find with a Google search is a rather nasty piece
    > of malware.
    >
    > Unless your mpack generates proper multipart MIME, the e-mail
    > files will be difficult to handle with any modern mail client
    > (uuencode is also deprecated).

    He means this,
    ftp://ftp.andrew.cmu.edu/pub/mpack/
    and the sco binary here:
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#mpack

    Whos pupose is just exactly that, to non-interactively assemble files and command line arguments into a mime encoded email. It's somewhat smaller and lighter than mutt since it's not also an interactive curses mail client with all that implies. I use it a lot, however, I think mutt is a fine way to go since it is far more common.
    I have to say that lightmail is really excellent too.
    http://lightmail.fairlite.com/index.shtml