SCO Openserver 5 netconfig command line operation - SCO

This is a discussion on SCO Openserver 5 netconfig command line operation - SCO ; Does anyone have experience with adding a network card into an SCO OS5 system using an automated script? The documentation on the command line interface is scanty with no examples of what to use for 'chains', 'elements', etc. We have ...

  1. SCO Openserver 5 netconfig command line operation

    Does anyone have experience with adding a network card into an SCO OS5
    system using an automated script? The documentation on the command
    line interface is scanty with no examples of what to use for 'chains',
    'elements', etc. We have no problems adding the nics using the
    interactive interface, but would like to automate the process as we
    need to add new cards to a lot of systems. If you have done this
    successfully or have knowledge in this area, please respond.

  2. Re: SCO Openserver 5 netconfig command line operation

    On 26 Mar, 22:47, CLH wrote:
    > Does anyone have experience with adding a network card into an SCO OS5
    > system using an automated script? *The documentation on the command
    > line interface is scanty with no examples of what to use for 'chains',
    > 'elements', etc. *We have no problems adding the nics using the
    > interactive interface, but would like to automate the process as we
    > need to add new cards to a lot of systems. *If you have done this
    > successfully or have knowledge in this area, please respond.

    Umm. *WHY*? Given the age of the OS, its limited capabilities, and the
    fiscal state of SCO, why not set up a virtual server (such as VMware),
    create one pre-installed OS image, and clone that as needed for
    additional virtualized installations? That can automate your process
    and save you a multi-hour installation process of CD handling, update
    installation that is order sensitive from the various installation
    media, the lunacy of having to go back and manually re-install the
    developer or SMP packages, etc.

    I'm not saying this is trivial: you'll need to reset your licenses,
    andn ideally rename the OS. And I'd live to find out myself how to
    rename a server: my experiments resetting /etc/default/tcp didn't get
    very far before I had to work on other projects.

  3. Re: SCO Openserver 5 netconfig command line operation

    On Mar 26, 6:47 pm, CLH wrote:
    > Does anyone have experience with adding a network card into an SCO OS5
    > system using an automated script? The documentation on the command
    > line interface is scanty with no examples of what to use for 'chains',
    > 'elements', etc. We have no problems adding the nics using the
    > interactive interface, but would like to automate the process as we
    > need to add new cards to a lot of systems. If you have done this
    > successfully or have knowledge in this area, please respond.

    The "chains" and stuff ends up getting written to /usr/lib/netconfig/
    chains
    and looks like this:

    sco_tcp#lo0
    nfs#sco_tcp