Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5? - SCO

This is a discussion on Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5? - SCO ; Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

  1. Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).

    The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    working copy of gcc for a system that old either.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

    It will be of little avail to the people that the laws are made by men of
    their own choice if the laws be so voluminous that they cannot be read, or
    so incoherent that they cannot be understood.
    -James Madison, Federalist Paper #62

  2. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?


    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Bill Campbell"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:06 PM
    Subject: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?


    > Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    > 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    > the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    > versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    > 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    >
    > The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    > working copy of gcc for a system that old either.


    3.0.0

    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rsync
    or
    ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/rsync.tar.bz2

    If you need bzip2:
    ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/bzip2.tar.Z
    I myslf prefer to install gwxlibs and gnutools and use the bzip2 that comes in one of those, but the tar exists exactly for cases where downloading and installing large things like that are not convenient or wise.
    There is also and older, perfectly fine one in skunkware too.

    The rsync binary above needs oss646c

    --
    Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!


  3. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:06:52PM -0700):
    | Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    | 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    | the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    | versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    | 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    |
    | The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    | working copy of gcc for a system that old either.

    I just compiled 3.0.0 on a 5.0.7 system.
    Ldd says usr/local/bin/rsync needs:
    libiconv.so2 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so2
    /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2
    /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    I'm sending rsync.lzma directly to you.

    --
    JP

  4. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Brian K. White wrote:
    >
    >----- Original Message -----
    >From: "Bill Campbell"
    >Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    >To:
    >Sent: Tuesday, March 25, 2008 4:06 PM
    >Subject: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?
    >
    >
    >> Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    >> 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    >> the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    >> versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    >> 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    >>
    >> The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    >> working copy of gcc for a system that old either.

    >
    >3.0.0
    >
    >http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rsync
    >or
    >ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/rsync.tar.bz2
    >
    >If you need bzip2:
    >ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/bzip2.tar.Z
    >I myslf prefer to install gwxlibs and gnutools and use the bzip2 that comes in one of those, but the tar exists exactly for cases where downloading and installing large things like that are not convenient or wise.
    >There is also and older, perfectly fine one in skunkware too.
    >
    >The rsync binary above needs oss646c


    Whoops. I have that, but this machine doesn't have it installed, is old
    and fragile, and I'm afraid to start messing with custom on it. It has
    already died once, and I am in the process of putting together a backup
    machine to be ready in case this one dies.

    FWIW: I tried building rsync-2.6.6 on my 5.0.6a box as a COFF
    binary, but it refuses to see -lresolv so has lots of unresolved
    references.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

    That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is
    the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.
    --GEORGE ORWELL

  5. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 02:17:26PM -0700):
    | On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Brian K. White wrote:
    | >
    | >From: "Bill Campbell"
    | >
    | >> Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    | >> 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    | >> the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    | >> versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    | >> 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    | >>
    | >> The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    | >> working copy of gcc for a system that old either.
    | >
    | >3.0.0
    | >
    | >http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/#rsync
    | >or
    | >ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/rsync.tar.bz2
    | >
    | >The rsync binary above needs oss646c
    |
    | Whoops. I have that, but this machine doesn't have it installed, is old
    | and fragile, and I'm afraid to start messing with custom on it. It has
    | already died once, and I am in the process of putting together a backup
    | machine to be ready in case this one dies.
    |
    | FWIW: I tried building rsync-2.6.6 on my 5.0.6a box as a COFF
    | binary, but it refuses to see -lresolv so has lots of unresolved
    | references.

    OK, I just built you a COFF binary of rsync 3.0.0 on OSR 5.0.7, and I've
    put rsync.coff.lzma in celestial's incoming ftp directory.

    --
    JP

  6. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    >Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:06:52PM -0700):
    >| Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    >| 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    >| the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    >| versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    >| 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    >|
    >| The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    >| working copy of gcc for a system that old either.
    >
    >I just compiled 3.0.0 on a 5.0.7 system.
    >Ldd says usr/local/bin/rsync needs:
    > libiconv.so2 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so2
    > /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2
    > /usr/lib/libc.so.1
    >
    >I'm sending rsync.lzma directly to you.


    Thanks JP for building a COFF version of rsync-3.0.0 for me.

    After I learned what lzma is, and built it on my ftp server, I
    was able to uncompress the file, and it seems to work a treat.

    Bill
    --
    INTERNET: bill@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    URL: http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676

    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
    butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
    accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
    orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch
    manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
    gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert Heinlein

  7. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    On Mar 25, 11:25 pm, Bill Campbell wrote:
    > On Tue, Mar 25, 2008, Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > >Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 25, 2008 at 01:06:52PM -0700):
    > >| Does anybody have a current version of rsync built on an OSR
    > >| 5.0.5 system? I no longer have a SCO system this old around, and
    > >| the rsync-2.3.1 on this machine doesn't like to talk to newer
    > >| versions (rsync-2.6.6 is the most recent I have built on an OSR
    > >| 5.0.6a system to which I'm trying to use it).
    > >|
    > >| The 5.0.5 system doesn't have a compiler, and I don't have a
    > >| working copy of gcc for a system that old either.

    >
    > >I just compiled 3.0.0 on a 5.0.7 system.
    > >Ldd says usr/local/bin/rsync needs:
    > > libiconv.so2 => /usr/local/lib/libiconv.so2
    > > /usr/lib/libsocket.so.2
    > > /usr/lib/libc.so.1

    >
    > >I'm sending rsync.lzma directly to you.

    >
    > Thanks JP for building a COFF version of rsync-3.0.0 for me.
    >
    > After I learned what lzma is, and built it on my ftp server, I
    > was able to uncompress the file, and it seems to work a treat.
    >
    > Bill
    > --
    > INTERNET: b...@celestial.com Bill Campbell; Celestial Software LLC
    > URL:http://www.celestial.com/ PO Box 820; 6641 E. Mercer Way
    > FAX: (206) 232-9186 Mercer Island, WA 98040-0820; (206) 236-1676
    >
    > A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion,
    > butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance
    > accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give
    > orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch
    > manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die
    > gallantly. Specialization is for insects. Robert Heinlein


    Would not mind a copy of that rsync especially for sco 5.0.7

  8. Re: Current version of rsync built for SCO 5.0.5?

    Dnix typed (on Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 12:07:06PM -0700):
    |
    | Would not mind a copy of that rsync especially for sco 5.0.7

    It's a fast compile, so just roll your own.

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread