login prompt - SCO

This is a discussion on login prompt - SCO ; We were running RealWorld accounting software along with Synchronics counterpoint v7.015 on a SCO open server 5.02. hard drive crashed so we rebuilt a compatible system with more memory and slightly faster processor. we loaded the original SCO. the Counterpoint ...

  1. login prompt

    We were running RealWorld accounting software along with Synchronics
    counterpoint v7.015 on a SCO open server 5.02. hard drive crashed so
    we rebuilt a compatible system with more memory and slightly faster
    processor. we loaded the original SCO. the Counterpoint software, and
    then restored the entire drive back onto new machine. everything looks
    good when logged into root and lokk at various directories and files.
    when machine is rebooted the normal sco deskop rolls and we get to the
    Login prompt, type in user id for counterpoint, then passwd and we are
    returned to login prompt. i vaguely recalled setting this up in /usr/
    bin/.profile? it's been too long.So i need help in rebuilding this
    string that lets me access the both applications. is this any clearer?
    i hope. thanks- Brian

  2. Re: login prompt

    On Mar 23, 8:07*am, mifloral wrote:
    > *We were running RealWorld accounting software along with Synchronics
    > counterpoint v7.015 on a SCO open server 5.02. hard drive crashed so
    > we rebuilt a compatible system with more memory and slightly faster
    > processor. we loaded the original SCO. the Counterpoint software, and
    > then restored the entire drive back onto new machine. everything looks
    > good when logged into root and lokk at various directories and files.
    > when machine is rebooted the normal sco deskop rolls and we get to the
    > Login prompt, type in user id for counterpoint, then passwd and we are
    > returned to login prompt. i vaguely recalled setting this up in /usr/
    > bin/.profile? it's been too long.So i need help in rebuilding this
    > string that lets me access the both applications. is this any clearer?
    > i hope. thanks- Brian

    Brian,

    You are skating on very thin ice here. As others on this list will
    undoubtedly inform you shortly, you are on a very old version of the
    operating system. As a former Real World and CounterPoint dealer who
    still supports many users, you are badly out of date on both of those
    programs also.

    Each user will have a .profile in their home directory. This will
    probably be something like /usr/brian/.profile and the last line
    probably used an exec statement to launch the program or menu. From
    the sounds of it the program being launched is corrupt or missing, so
    it fails to load and the session ends.

    If you can't find it and fix it with this information you are in over
    your head. Sorry.

    As a reasonable plan of action you should call Passport Software at
    800-969-7900 and talk to Sandy Smith in sales. Describe your
    situation and ask her to refer you to a dealer in your general
    locale. Passport now owns and continues to develop the Real World
    code, and many of the dealers are active with CounterPoint support, as
    well as with SCO Unix and/or Linux. Sandy should know somebody who is
    available fairly close to you.

    Upgrading your system and both applications is not for an amateur at
    this point. Staying current on all three is affordable for most
    businesses, and doable for the average sysadmin with some knowledge
    and skill. Because of the age of your O/S and applications, you are
    going to be presenting somebody with a complex situation and it's
    going to be expensive. You are going to need to get everything
    upgraded at some point, and this event should be a wakeup call to
    start addressing this issue now.

    Mark Bennett

  3. Re: login prompt

    On Mar 24, 10:04*am, mbennett
    wrote:
    > On Mar 23, 8:07*am, mifloral wrote:
    >
    > > *We were running RealWorld accounting software along with Synchronics
    > > counterpoint v7.015 on a SCO open server 5.02. hard drive crashed so
    > > we rebuilt a compatible system with more memory and slightly faster
    > > processor. we loaded the original SCO. the Counterpoint software, and
    > > then restored the entire drive back onto new machine. everything looks
    > > good when logged into root and lokk at various directories and files.
    > > when machine is rebooted the normal sco deskop rolls and we get to the
    > > Login prompt, type in user id for counterpoint, then passwd and we are
    > > returned to login prompt. i vaguely recalled setting this up in /usr/
    > > bin/.profile? it's been too long.So i need help in rebuilding this
    > > string that lets me access the both applications. is this any clearer?
    > > i hope. thanks- Brian

    > Brian,
    >
    > You are skating on very thin ice here. *As others on this list will
    > undoubtedly inform you shortly, you are on a very old version of the
    > operating system. *As a former Real World and CounterPoint dealer who
    > still supports many users, you are badly out of date on both of those
    > programs also.
    >
    > Each user will have a .profile in their home directory. * This will
    > probably be something like /usr/brian/.profile and the last line
    > probably used an exec statement to launch the program or menu. *From
    > the sounds of it the program being launched is corrupt or missing, so
    > it fails to load and the session ends.
    >
    > If you can't find it and fix it with this information you are in over
    > your head. *Sorry.
    >
    > As a reasonable plan of action you should call Passport Software at
    > 800-969-7900 and talk to Sandy Smith in sales. *Describe your
    > situation and ask her to refer you to a dealer in your general
    > locale. *Passport now owns and continues to develop the Real World
    > code, and many of the dealers are active with CounterPoint support, as
    > well as with SCO Unix and/or Linux. *Sandy should know somebody who is
    > available fairly close to you.
    >
    > Upgrading your system and both applications is not for an amateur at
    > this point. *Staying current on all three is affordable for most
    > businesses, and doable for the average sysadmin with some knowledge
    > and skill. *Because of the age of your O/S and applications, you are
    > going to be presenting somebody with a complex situation and it's
    > going to be expensive. *You are going to need to get everything
    > upgraded at some point, and this event should be a wakeup call to
    > start addressing this issue now.
    >
    > Mark Bennett

    Hello Mark,

    Thank you for your concise and accurate response, along with the
    Passport lead.
    We are (were) in the process of a complete upgrade of our entire
    system including the latest Counterpoint software. The RealWorld
    upgrade was soon to follow. However, according to our authorized
    software dealer.. he needs an operable system to migrate our data
    files onto the new software. In the meantime my company is paralyzed
    by the situation. I was hoping the command string in generating the /
    usr/Brian/.profile combined with the exec statement would let me in.
    oh well.

    Again, many thanks,

    Brian

  4. Re: login prompt

    mifloral wrote:

> [...]

    >>going to be presenting somebody with a complex situation and it's
    >>going to be expensive. You are going to need to get everything
    >>upgraded at some point, and this event should be a wakeup call to
    >>start addressing this issue now.
    >>
    >>Mark Bennett

    > Hello Mark,
    >
    > Thank you for your concise and accurate response, along with the
    > Passport lead.
    > We are (were) in the process of a complete upgrade of our entire
    > system including the latest Counterpoint software. The RealWorld
    > upgrade was soon to follow. However, according to our authorized
    > software dealer.. he needs an operable system to migrate our data
    > files onto the new software. In the meantime my company is paralyzed
    > by the situation. I was hoping the command string in generating the /
    > usr/Brian/.profile combined with the exec statement would let me in.

    Make certain the user's PATH includes all the
    directories the user will need. Make sure the
    ownership and groups and permissions are
    correctly set. Usually a rebuilt/reconstituted
    /etc/passwd file does not provide an identical
    repetition of the old system from which your
    backup was made, so any restore is apt to have
    database files with owner/group/permissions
    incorrect.

    Also if there was a special group established
    in etc/group specific to the target software
    that is now absent all sorts of strange failures
    can begin to happen.

    Often the application startup in .profile has
    a final line something like exit 0 at the end
    which means that if the target software bails
    out for any reason (quit command by the user
    or any startup failure) .profile logs off the
    user in order to keep them from any possible
    mischief.

    You say you restored the entire drive onto
    the machine. If you had actually done that
    it would run as it had earlier, so something
    was not actually included in the backup.

    One final note. I don't know your particular
    target software, "counterpoint" but often
    when making backups some software has a way
    of avoiding backing up licensing files. If it
    has a requirement to type in licensing info
    you might check that as well as a sort of
    generic all-around problem solving paradigm.

    best of luck.

  5. Re: login prompt

    On Mar 24, 9:30*am, mifloral wrote:
> [...]

    > > going to be presenting somebody with a complex situation and it's
    > > going to be expensive. *You are going to need to get everything
    > > upgraded at some point, and this event should be a wakeup call to
    > > start addressing this issue now.

    > > Mark Bennett

    > Hello Mark,
    >
    > Thank you for your concise and accurate response, along with the
    > Passport lead.
    > We are (were) in the process of a complete upgrade of our entire
    > system including the latest Counterpoint software. *The RealWorld
    > upgrade was soon to follow. However, according to our authorized
    > software dealer.. he needs an operable system to migrate our data
    > files onto the new software. In the meantime my company is paralyzed
    > by the situation. I was hoping the command string in generating the /
    > usr/Brian/.profile combined with the exec statement would let me in.

    Brian,

    OK, I'm getting the picture I think. You're getting ready to migrate
    to CP SQL? I'll assume the answer is yes. Then your authorized
    software dealer is entirely capable of helping with this. He can pick
    up the phone and call his rep at Radiant and ask for references for
    some experienced Unix hands, and there are a bunch of them out there.
    Just because he's a Windows guy (if that's the case) is no excuse.

    If he says "Not my job" scream at him. It certainly is his job. If
    he still refuses, call Radiant at 800-852-5852 and tell them you have
    a complaint and ask to speak to Barbara Collier. Describe your
    situation and ask for her help in finding somebody near you to help
    with this issue. Do not scream at Barbara. It is unnecessary.

    Whoever you find will probably need remote access via modem or
    network. Do you have something working there?

    The suggestion about CounterPoint hiding or missing a registration
    file, while valid for some applications, doesn't apply here. If you
    save and restore the entire tree from the top-level CP directory on
    down, all necessary files are there.

    Can you make a new user? If so, try it. Login as that user and cd to
    the CounterPoint top-level directory. Type and enter the command: syn

    This should launch the program. If you still can't even login,
    assuming you're using the Bourne shell, check the /usr/lib/mkuser/sh
    directory and see if the default profile is mangled. If you're not
    even able to login as an ordinary user I suspect something is wrong
    in /etc/profile but messing with that can make it impossible to login
    ever again and you'll need to reinstall. If you edit that file, be
    logged in as root on a terminal somewhere and stay logged in until
    your changes are tested, so you can go to that terminal and undo any
    changes.

    Mark

+ Reply to Thread