    From: "er"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    Sent: Saturday, March 22, 2008 11:33 AM
    Subject: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    > Hi everyone! Is there a command for SCO OSR 5.0.5 to shutdown and
    > ethernet NIC and then bring it back up? The command I'm looking for
    > is similar to Linux's ifdown and ifup. The reason I'm asking is
    > because every day, our SCO server would become unreachable over the
    > network, yet the server remains up from the console. We have to
    > "shutdown -g0" the server every time this happens.

    Are you by chance using an old version of samba?

    run netstat -m
    anything but 0's in the fail column?
    Large values in the last 3 lines?
    I'm not sure what to consider large, It depends on your box and your apps and your usage, but, for comparison, a 5.0.5 box that has been up for 109 days with no problems and about 30 users and ... good god only 128M ram, shows all 0's in the fail column, and:

    total configured streams memory: 2512.00KB
    streams memory in use: 423.19KB
    maximum streams memory used: 1403.08KB

    Those numbers grow for a little while after reboot, then gradually stop growing and almost don't change over the span of months/years to the next reboot. But when there is a streams leak they grow continuously until the box(or just networking) stops working.

    All ifup/ifdown does is run ifconfig up / down
    You can try (from a console or serial line!) # ifconfig net0 down ;ifconfig net0 up
    but I don't think it will help.
    You might need to run afterwards: tcp stop ;tcp start

    Ultimately you need to find out what program is leaking and fix it.
    What changed between the time before the problem and now?

  3. Re: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    On Sat, Mar 22, 2008, er wrote:
    >Hi everyone! Is there a command for SCO OSR 5.0.5 to shutdown and
    >ethernet NIC and then bring it back up? The command I'm looking for
    >is similar to Linux's ifdown and ifup. The reason I'm asking is
    >because every day, our SCO server would become unreachable over the
    >network, yet the server remains up from the console. We have to
    >"shutdown -g0" the server every time this happens.

    In my experience, SCO OpenServer systems become unreachable most
    frequently because it has routed running, and gets confused on
    routing. Assuming that the system has a static route, edit the
    file, /etc/tcp, and comment out the piece that starts routed.

    The only other time I remember having an SCO system become
    unreachable was while installing an SCO system at an ISP, and it
    would not respond ever so often. I beat my head against the wall
    for a while until I happened to notice my luggable screen where
    it had notices that the ARP had changed for that IP. Somebody
    had a PC in the back room that they had assigned the same IP as
    the server, and that was causing the problem.

    Bill

    Bagdikian's Observation:
    Trying to be a first-rate reporter on the average American
    newspaper is like trying to play Bach's "St. Matthew Passion"
    on a ukelele.

  4. Re: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    er wrote:
    > Hi everyone! Is there a command for SCO OSR 5.0.5 to shutdown and
    > ethernet NIC and then bring it back up? The command I'm looking for
    > is similar to Linux's ifdown and ifup. The reason I'm asking is
    > because every day, our SCO server would become unreachable over the
    > network, yet the server remains up from the console. We have to
    > "shutdown -g0" the server every time this happens.

    Ouch. Are you stuck at 5.0.5? Can you virtualize it, via VMware, in order to
    get the kernel hardware drivers updated to an OS written in this millennium?

  5. Re: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    > Are you by chance using an old version of samba?
    >
    > run netstat -m
    > anything but 0's in the fail column?
    > Large values in the last 3 lines?
    > I'm not sure what to consider large, It depends on your box and your apps and your usage

    In addition to crappy SAMBA code, I've seen SCO 5.0.x boxes wiped out
    from viruses on the network - they'll hammer the server and cause the
    same problems with exhausted streams resources. To the OP, make sure
    you don't have any infected windows machines on the same subnet as the
    SCO server.

  6. Re: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    >> Are you by chance using an old version of samba?
    >>
    >> run netstat -m
    >> anything but 0's in the fail column?
    >> Large values in the last 3 lines?
    >> I'm not sure what to consider large, It depends on your box and your apps and your usage

    > In addition to crappy SAMBA code, I've seen SCO 5.0.x boxes wiped out
    > from viruses on the network - they'll hammer the server and cause the
    > same problems with exhausted streams resources. To the OP, make sure
    > you don't have any infected windows machines on the same subnet as the
    > SCO server.

    Actually, samba 2.x and earlier didn't have bad code itself, merely it tickled a bug in the osr5 kernel that nothing else ever tickled.

    I agree about delousing the pc's

  7. Re: ifdown/ifup for sco OSR 5.0.5?

    On Sat, Mar 22, 2008, larry scott wrote:
    >> Are you by chance using an old version of samba?
    >>
    >> run netstat -m
    >> anything but 0's in the fail column?
    >> Large values in the last 3 lines?
    >> I'm not sure what to consider large, It depends on your box and your apps and your usage

    >In addition to crappy SAMBA code, I've seen SCO 5.0.x boxes wiped out
    >from viruses on the network - they'll hammer the server and cause the
    >same problems with exhausted streams resources. To the OP, make sure
    >you don't have any infected windows machines on the same subnet as the
    >SCO server.

    Is there any other kind of machine running the Microsoft Virus, Windows?

    Bill

    There is no worse tyranny than to force a man to pay for what he does not
    want merely because you think it would be good for him. -- Robert Heinlein

+ Reply to Thread