Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 - SCO

This is a discussion on Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 - SCO ; I received the following e-mail from a client: > last two nights I have had a WARNING on the server > > WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00 > CPU2: WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00 ...

+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

  1. Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    I received the following e-mail from a client:

    > last two nights I have had a WARNING on the server
    >
    > WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00
    > CPU2: WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00
    >
    >
    > repeated multiple times
    >
    > It looks like it's occurring between 1:15 A.M. and 3:30 A.M. when the backup is running.
    >
    > It completed backup last night, but didn't the previous night.


    Searching google comes up with three foreign language hits,
    one implicates oss478a, one LSI and SCO 5.0.x.

    Searching SCO's knowledge base for A_RCheckCond turns up zip.
    Searching Adaptec.com and LSI turns up zip.

    The client is running a SuperMicro X5DL8-GG Dual Xeon
    box with SCO 5.0.6 and two CPUs. The hard disk is a
    RAID-5 on Adaptec 2010 ZCR controller and the backup tape
    is an Ultrium tape used to replace a IOmega SCSI REV
    drive when the REV drive failed (would not eject media).
    Backup software is BackupEdge 2.2.

    The Ultrium tape is on an LSI Logic 53C895A SCSI controller.

    The system was installed on 3/17/2005 and has not produced
    this error in the past.

    Any ideas?


    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates
    816/765-1670

  2. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Steve M. Fabac, Jr. wrote:

    > I received the following e-mail from a client:
    >
    > > last two nights I have had a WARNING on the server
    > >
    > > WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00
    > > CPU2: WARNING: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0 id=6 lun=0 tag=00
    > >
    > >
    > > repeated multiple times
    > >
    > > It looks like it's occurring between 1:15 A.M. and 3:30 A.M. when the backup is running.
    > >
    > > It completed backup last night, but didn't the previous night.

    >
    > Searching google comes up with three foreign language hits,
    > one implicates oss478a, one LSI and SCO 5.0.x.
    >
    > Searching SCO's knowledge base for A_RCheckCond turns up zip.
    > Searching Adaptec.com and LSI turns up zip.
    >
    > The client is running a SuperMicro X5DL8-GG Dual Xeon
    > box with SCO 5.0.6 and two CPUs. The hard disk is a
    > RAID-5 on Adaptec 2010 ZCR controller and the backup tape
    > is an Ultrium tape used to replace a IOmega SCSI REV
    > drive when the REV drive failed (would not eject media).
    > Backup software is BackupEdge 2.2.
    >
    > The Ultrium tape is on an LSI Logic 53C895A SCSI controller.
    >
    > The system was installed on 3/17/2005 and has not produced
    > this error in the past.
    >
    > Any ideas?


    # cd /etc/conf/pack.d
    # find * -name '*.[chaos]' | xargs strings -Fa | grep A_RSCheckCond
    slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=%d id=%d lun=%d tag=%b
    slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond_Used

    "slha" is the driver for LSI Logic fka Symbios Logic nee NCR
    Microelectronics 53c8xx SCSI HBAs.

    I google'd the string and found 4 hits, none of which is a "foreign
    language hit". They are all strings of gibberish extracted from the
    middle of binary archives; all are archives which happen to contain one
    version or another of the OSR5 "slha" driver.

    So, something is going wrong with either the HBA or the tape drive. The
    HBA is much easier to replace (no investment in tapes & data), I
    recommend swapping in a cheap supported HBA which can talk to whatever
    SCSI bus the drive has.

    If you go to a different driver, there's a chance that even if it's a
    drive problem, you will get better diagnostics out of the driver. The
    string you're getting includes "CheckCond", short for "Check Condition",
    a SCSI protocol message (see wikipedia.org/wiki/SCSI_check_condition).
    One might hope that the driver would follow up by asking "What
    condition?" and reporting that to you.

    Swap in an HBA and be prepared to potentially need to swap in a
    compatible drive.

    If you have any sort of diagnostic software for the Ultrium drive, run
    it. If you have cleaning tapes, clean it.

    >Bela<


  3. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > # cd /etc/conf/pack.d
    > # find * -name '*.[chaos]' | xargs strings -Fa | grep A_RSCheckCond
    > slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=%d id=%d lun=%d tag=%b
    > slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond_Used
    >
    >>Bela<


    Bela, why do you keep giving free technical support for the company that
    showed you the door to reduce costs, so it could keep paying its lawyers
    to sue its own customers and the Linux users?

    Let it rot!

  4. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Pepe wrote:
    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >> # cd /etc/conf/pack.d
    >> # find * -name '*.[chaos]' | xargs strings -Fa | grep A_RSCheckCond
    >> slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=%d id=%d lun=%d tag=%b
    >> slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond_Used
    >>
    >>> Bela<

    >
    > Bela, why do you keep giving free technical support for the company that
    > showed you the door to reduce costs, so it could keep paying its lawyers
    > to sue its own customers and the Linux users?
    >
    > Let it rot!


    Some of us have work to do: even migrating systems to a more responsible
    company's operating systems often benefits from having useful tools.

    I'd also write it this way:

    find /etc/conf/pack.d/ -name \*\.\[chaos\] | \
    xargs strings -Fa \
    grep A_RSCheckCond

    But that's a matter of taste.

  5. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Pepe wrote:
    > Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > > # cd /etc/conf/pack.d
    > > # find * -name '*.[chaos]' | xargs strings -Fa | grep A_RSCheckCond
    > > slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=%d id=%d lun=%d tag=%b
    > > slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond_Used

    >
    > Bela, why do you keep giving free technical support for the company that
    > showed you the door to reduce costs, so it could keep paying its lawyers to
    > sue its own customers and the Linux users?
    >
    > Let it rot!


    There is a difference between people needing assistance and SCO the
    company. Don't you think people that need to run the SCO OS's need
    assistance. Or are you just the to hell with everyone not running
    something other than an SCO OS. Are you a fanatic? If so please leave
    and let us assist people that need assistance.

    Thank you for your consideration of people needing assistance,


    --
    Boyd Gerber
    ZENEZ 1042 East Fort Union #135, Midvale Utah 84047

  6. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >
    > There is a difference between people needing assistance and SCO the
    > company. Don't you think people that need to run the SCO OS's need
    > assistance. Or are you just the to hell with everyone not running
    > something other than an SCO OS. Are you a fanatic?


    Those who chose to go with SCO and paid for their OS, should get the
    support they need from that company, which, you know, runs a business
    for profit(TM).

    The time to take responsability has come. So said company is a
    dead-man-walking unable to provide support, all because of its own
    faults and mismanagements? Too bad.

    I'm not a fanatic. What made you wonder that?

    I am asking, why provide free technical support for a company which
    deserves nothing good?, for a company which sacked the one providing
    said free technical support? I think it is a rational question, and not
    a question of fanaticism.

  7. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Pepe wrote:
    > Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >>
    >> There is a difference between people needing assistance and SCO the
    >> company. Don't you think people that need to run the SCO OS's need
    >> assistance. Or are you just the to hell with everyone not running
    >> something other than an SCO OS. Are you a fanatic?

    >
    > Those who chose to go with SCO and paid for their OS, should get the
    > support they need from that company, which, you know, runs a business
    > for profit(TM).


    Yes, for the last 3 years it's been based on suing Linux developers. They lost
    and are now bankrupt.

    > The time to take responsability has come. So said company is a
    > dead-man-walking unable to provide support, all because of its own
    > faults and mismanagements? Too bad.


    Hey, we're not helping *SCO* per se, we're helping each other.

    > I'm not a fanatic. What made you wonder that?
    >
    > I am asking, why provide free technical support for a company which
    > deserves nothing good?, for a company which sacked the one providing
    > said free technical support? I think it is a rational question, and not
    > a question of fanaticism.


    Well, because if we're obviously doing better work, it supports the open
    source models of open source and community support, it helps *our* business
    models. It's certainly helping mine, and I'm tryihg to pay back to the SCO
    user community the assistance they've given me.

  8. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0


    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Pepe"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:57 PM
    Subject: Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0


    > Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >>
    >> There is a difference between people needing assistance and SCO the
    >> company. Don't you think people that need to run the SCO OS's need
    >> assistance. Or are you just the to hell with everyone not running
    >> something other than an SCO OS. Are you a fanatic?

    >
    > Those who chose to go with SCO and paid for their OS, should get the
    > support they need from that company, which, you know, runs a business for
    > profit(TM).
    >
    > The time to take responsability has come. So said company is a
    > dead-man-walking unable to provide support, all because of its own faults
    > and mismanagements? Too bad.
    >
    > I'm not a fanatic. What made you wonder that?
    >
    > I am asking, why provide free technical support for a company which
    > deserves nothing good?, for a company which sacked the one providing said
    > free technical support? I think it is a rational question, and not a
    > question of fanaticism.


    Everyone, however irrational, thinks they are rational, and from some
    special perspective, they are.

    You don't sound like a fanatic to me really. Just ignorant and
    inconsiderate.

    Ignorant of the fact that for15 or more years SCO was a really great product
    and a really great company and there is nothing anyone who used that system
    all during that time should feel ashamed about.
    Ignorant of the fact that one of the ways the OS was great, was that it just
    ran and ran for years, which means many currently running boxes were
    installed before sco even broke up and sold the unix assets to Caldera.
    Ignorant or inconsiderate of the fact that in that amount of time many
    people build up lots of clients running that OS, many of which are still
    running boxes installed since long before SCO became bad guys.
    Ignorant or inconsiderate of the fact that even today that crappy nasty old
    SCO os is still a better choice for lots of situations than anything else
    available today.
    Ignorant of the fact that some day when you are in a jam and need help,
    someone else may say "let him rot, that stupid rehdat user...". Heck I'd say
    that today in your case, now that you've advertised how much you appreciate
    and value altruism.

    Sure, I don't install any new SCO boxes either, but I'm not ignorant of the
    fact that the universe is bigger than my experience.

    --
    Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!


  9. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > I stil have lots of contacts in the SCO community and find it
    > interesting and fulfilling to give an occasional hand to people using
    > the products I was so involved in creating. There is pride in
    > workmanship.


    That's fine. You are generous and you are not bitter.

    I don't think I personally would be able to be so good tempered, had I
    worked as an engineer for SCO, after having seen all my work been
    trashed because of crazy management decisions.

    I salute you.

  10. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Brian K. White wrote:
    > ----- Original Message -----
    > From: "Pepe"
    > Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    > To:
    > Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 2:57 PM
    > Subject: Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0
    >
    >
    >> Boyd Lynn Gerber wrote:
    >>> There is a difference between people needing assistance and SCO the
    >>> company. Don't you think people that need to run the SCO OS's need
    >>> assistance. Or are you just the to hell with everyone not running
    >>> something other than an SCO OS. Are you a fanatic?

    >> Those who chose to go with SCO and paid for their OS, should get the
    >> support they need from that company, which, you know, runs a business for
    >> profit(TM).
    >>
    >> The time to take responsability has come. So said company is a
    >> dead-man-walking unable to provide support, all because of its own faults
    >> and mismanagements? Too bad.
    >>
    >> I'm not a fanatic. What made you wonder that?
    >>
    >> I am asking, why provide free technical support for a company which
    >> deserves nothing good?, for a company which sacked the one providing said
    >> free technical support? I think it is a rational question, and not a
    >> question of fanaticism.

    >
    > Everyone, however irrational, thinks they are rational, and from some
    > special perspective, they are.
    >
    > You don't sound like a fanatic to me really. Just ignorant and
    > inconsiderate.
    >
    > Ignorant of the fact that for15 or more years SCO was a really great product
    > and a really great company and there is nothing anyone who used that system
    > all during that time should feel ashamed about.


    You *liked* Minix? E-e-w-w-w-w!

    > Ignorant of the fact that some day when you are in a jam and need help,
    > someone else may say "let him rot, that stupid rehdat user...". Heck I'd say
    > that today in your case, now that you've advertised how much you appreciate
    > and value altruism.


    Please don't tar the redhat users with the same brush. I'm doing a migration
    from SCO to RHEL right now.

  11. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > Brian K. White wrote:


    > > Ignorant of the fact that for15 or more years SCO was a really great product
    > > and a really great company and there is nothing anyone who used that system
    > > all during that time should feel ashamed about.

    >
    > You *liked* Minix? E-e-w-w-w-w!


    ??!??

    Minix was the work of Andy Tanenbaum at the Vrije Universiteit of
    Amsterdam. Nothing to do with SCO.

    You may perhaps be thinking of Xenix? But even there you are wrong
    on two counts. One, SCO started shipping AT&T Unix source based
    distributions in 1989, well outside the given 15 year window. Two,
    Xenix _was_ a good system in its day. It too was solid and stolid --
    boring and behind the leading edge of its time, but very stable. Well
    suited for business use, then and for most of the intervening years.

    >Bela<


  12. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    Bela Lubkin wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> Brian K. White wrote:

    >
    >>> Ignorant of the fact that for15 or more years SCO was a really great product
    >>> and a really great company and there is nothing anyone who used that system
    >>> all during that time should feel ashamed about.

    >> You *liked* Minix? E-e-w-w-w-w!

    >
    > ??!??
    >
    > Minix was the work of Andy Tanenbaum at the Vrije Universiteit of
    > Amsterdam. Nothing to do with SCO.


    Oh. Goodness, my mistake. I meant "XENIX".

    > You may perhaps be thinking of Xenix? But even there you are wrong
    > on two counts. One, SCO started shipping AT&T Unix source based
    > distributions in 1989, well outside the given 15 year window. Two,
    > Xenix _was_ a good system in its day. It too was solid and stolid --
    > boring and behind the leading edge of its time, but very stable. Well
    > suited for business use, then and for most of the intervening years.


    It was a mother to interface with other systems in my direct experience, due
    to being so far behind the leading edge. If the few things it happened to do
    included what you needed, you were set.

  13. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0


    ----- Original Message -----
    From: "Bela Lubkin"
    Newsgroups: comp.unix.sco.misc
    To:
    Sent: Sunday, March 16, 2008 10:14 PM
    Subject: Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0


    > Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> Brian K. White wrote:

    >
    >> > Ignorant of the fact that for15 or more years SCO was a really great product
    >> > and a really great company and there is nothing anyone who used that system
    >> > all during that time should feel ashamed about.

    >>
    >> You *liked* Minix? E-e-w-w-w-w!

    >
    > ??!??
    >
    > Minix was the work of Andy Tanenbaum at the Vrije Universiteit of
    > Amsterdam. Nothing to do with SCO.
    >
    > You may perhaps be thinking of Xenix? But even there you are wrong
    > on two counts. One, SCO started shipping AT&T Unix source based
    > distributions in 1989, well outside the given 15 year window. Two,
    > Xenix _was_ a good system in its day. It too was solid and stolid --
    > boring and behind the leading edge of its time, but very stable. Well
    > suited for business use, then and for most of the intervening years.
    >
    >>Bela<


    I loved xenix. Still do sorta.
    Which linux version ever could support as many users in as little ram and as few cpu cycles.

    Brian K. White brian@aljex.com http://www.myspace.com/KEYofR
    +++++[>+++[>+++++>+++++++<<-]<-]>>+.>.+++++.+++++++.-.[>+<---]>++.
    filePro BBx Linux SCO FreeBSD #callahans Satriani Filk!


  14. Re: Need help identifying error: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=0

    In article <47dd38b0$1@news.x-privat.org>, Pepe wrote:
    >Bela Lubkin wrote:
    >> # cd /etc/conf/pack.d
    >> # find * -name '*.[chaos]' | xargs strings -Fa | grep A_RSCheckCond
    >> slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond interrupt on ha=%d id=%d lun=%d tag=%b
    >> slha/Driver.o: A_RSCheckCond_Used
    >>
    >>>Bela<

    >
    >Bela, why do you keep giving free technical support for the company that
    >showed you the door to reduce costs, so it could keep paying its lawyers
    >to sue its own customers and the Linux users?
    >
    >Let it rot!


    I first ran across Bela in the Dr.Dobbs forum back about 1986 or
    1987. He's one of the most helpful people I've ever met in
    my 20+ years of using Usenet.

    Bela helps users not companies.

    I wish there were more like him.

    Bill
    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv @ wjv . com

+ Reply to Thread