ascii to pdf - SCO

This is a discussion on ascii to pdf - SCO ; Here's a quickie, Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and put it into a PDF format? TIA, - Jeff H...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 31

  1. ascii to pdf

    Here's a quickie,

    Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    put it into a PDF format?

    TIA,
    - Jeff H

  2. Re: ascii to pdf

    On Tue, Mar 11, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >Here's a quickie,
    >
    > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    >put it into a PDF format?

    There's a text2pdf program in texinfo -- whether it's available
    for SCO is another issue.

    Bill

    Unix is simple. It just takes a genius to understand its simplicity --
    Dennis Ritchie

  3. Re: ascii to pdf

    Jeff Hyman typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:29:05PM -0400):
    | Here's a quickie,
    |
    | Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    | put it into a PDF format?

    'txt2pdf' is commercial software, but not expensive, from
    www.sanface.com.

    --
    JP

  4. Re: ascii to pdf

    Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:53:59AM -0700):
    | On Tue, Mar 11, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    | >Here's a quickie,
    | >
    | > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    | >put it into a PDF format?
    |
    | There's a text2pdf program in texinfo -- whether it's available
    | for SCO is another issue.

    Bill

    I do have:

    ../opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.3.2Ag/usr/bin/text2gif
    ../opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/spool/lp/bin/text2post

    I do have 'cc' compiler. Any clues where to look for
    text2pdf? I should know this answer, but rarely ever
    need to find something like this.

    - Jeff H

  5. Re: ascii to pdf

    Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 01:14:32PM -0400):
    | Jeff Hyman typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 12:29:05PM -0400):
    | | Here's a quickie,
    | |
    | | Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    | | put it into a PDF format?
    |
    | 'txt2pdf' is commercial software, but not expensive, from
    | www.sanface.com.
    |

    | --
    | JP

    Ahhhhhh. I just replied to Bill, and if I waited a few seconds
    for your reply, I'd save a few keystrokes.

    Thanks JP,
    - Jeff H

  6. Re: ascii to pdf

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:53:59AM -0700):
    > | On Tue, Mar 11, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > | >Here's a quickie,
    > | >
    > | > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    > | >put it into a PDF format?
    > |
    > | There's a text2pdf program in texinfo -- whether it's available
    > | for SCO is another issue.
    >
    > I do have:
    >
    > ./opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.3.2Ag/usr/bin/text2gif
    > ./opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/spool/lp/bin/text2post
    >
    > I do have 'cc' compiler. Any clues where to look for
    > text2pdf? I should know this answer, but rarely ever
    > need to find something like this.

    I get mine from CPAN when, it does not exist in the native SCO stuff. You
    may want to check it out. I do see it or other utilities on CPAN.

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  7. Re: ascii to pdf

    On Tue, Mar 11, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >Bill Campbell typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 09:53:59AM -0700):
    >| On Tue, Mar 11, 2008, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >| >Here's a quickie,
    >| >
    >| > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    >| >put it into a PDF format?
    >|
    >| There's a text2pdf program in texinfo -- whether it's available
    >| for SCO is another issue.

    I goofed. It's not part of texinfo (that has texi2pdf), but in pdflib.

    http://www.pdflib.com/products/pdflib/download/

    This requires libpng, zlib, and libjpeg as pdflib provides image
    conversions as well.

    >Bill
    >
    >I do have:
    >
    >./opt/K/SCO/gwxlibs/1.3.2Ag/usr/bin/text2gif
    >./opt/K/SCO/Unix/5.0.6Ga/usr/spool/lp/bin/text2post
    >
    >I do have 'cc' compiler. Any clues where to look for
    >text2pdf? I should know this answer, but rarely ever
    >need to find something like this.

    Bill

    There are three kinds of men. The ones that learn by reading. The few who
    for themselves. -- Will Rogers

  8. Re: ascii to pdf

    Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    @lonestar.cactus.com:

    > Here's a quickie,
    >
    > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    > put it into a PDF format?
    >
    > TIA,
    > - Jeff H

    I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    pcl to pdf quite succesfully.

    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/

    Marc

  9. Re: ascii to pdf

    Marc Champagne typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:17:07PM -0500):
    | Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    | @lonestar.cactus.com:
    |
    | > Here's a quickie,
    | >
    | > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    | > put it into a PDF format?
    | >
    | > TIA,
    | > - Jeff H
    |
    | I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    | pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    |
    | http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/

    When did it become owned by linut?

    While I mentioned sanface' software in my prior response, I forgot that I
    use pcl6 far more often, and it's free.

    --
    JP

  10. Re: ascii to pdf

    Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:11:27PM -0400):
    | Marc Champagne typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:17:07PM -0500):
    | | Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    | | @lonestar.cactus.com:
    | |
    | | > Here's a quickie,
    | | >
    | | > Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    | | > put it into a PDF format?
    | | >
    | | > TIA,
    | | > - Jeff H
    | |
    | | I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    | | pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    | |
    | | http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    | |

    | When did it become owned by linut?
    |
    | While I mentioned sanface' software in my prior response, I forgot that I
    | use pcl6 far more often, and it's free.
    | JP

    Before I continue digging, which would you think is my best bet?
    I have downloaded 'txt2pdf-9.5' from sanface. It says it has a
    30 day fre evaluation period, but:

    # txt2pdf.pl

    returns a licensing violation error:

    This is an UNREGISTERED version of $producer1.
    Registration fee is $39 for the Personal Edition.
    >From $130 for the Enterprise Edition.

    Register NOW via a SECURE SERVER at
    $SECURESERVER
    or contact $companyname $SANFACEmail

    so much for the eval :-(

    Is pcl6 easy to get my hands on?

    - Jeff H

  11. Re: ascii to pdf

    Jeff Hyman typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:46:38PM -0400):
    | Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:11:27PM -0400):
    | | Marc Champagne typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:17:07PM -0500):
    | | | Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    | | | @lonestar.cactus.com:
    | | |

    | | |
    | | | I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    | | | pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    | | |
    | | | http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    | | |
    | |
    | | When did it become owned by linut?
    | |
    | | While I mentioned sanface' software in my prior response, I forgot that I
    | | use pcl6 far more often, and it's free.
    | | JP
    |
    | Before I continue digging, which would you think is my best bet?
    | I have downloaded 'txt2pdf-9.5' from sanface. It says it has a
    | 30 day fre evaluation period, but:
    |
    | # txt2pdf.pl
    |
    | returns a licensing violation error:
    |
    | This is an UNREGISTERED version of $producer1.
    | Registration fee is $39 for the Personal Edition.
    | >From $130 for the Enterprise Edition.
    | Register NOW via a SECURE SERVER at
    | $SECURESERVER
    | or contact $companyname $SANFACEmail
    |
    | so much for the eval :-(

    You could probably edit your way around that.

    | Is pcl6 easy to get my hands on?

    I happen to hate the way Brian packaged it.

    I have a tarball for OSR5, talk to me tomorrow and I'll make it availabe.

    --
    JP

  12. Re: ascii to pdf

    On 11 Mar, 20:46, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    > Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:11:27PM -0400):
    > | Marc Champagne typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:17:07PM -0500):
    > | | Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    > | | @lonestar.cactus.com:
    > | |

    > | |
    > | | I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    > | | pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    > | |
    > | |http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    > | |

    > | When did it become owned by linut?
    > |
    > | While I mentioned sanface' software in my prior response, I forgot that I
    > | use pcl6 far more often, and it's free.
    > | JP
    >
    > Before I continue digging, which would you think is my best bet? *
    > I have downloaded 'txt2pdf-9.5' from sanface. *It says it has a
    > 30 day fre evaluation period, but:
    >
    > # txt2pdf.pl
    >
    > returns a licensing violation error:
    >
    > This is an UNREGISTERED version of $producer1.
    > Registration fee is $39 for the Personal Edition.>From $130 for the Enterprise Edition.
    >
    > Register NOW via a SECURE SERVER at
    > $SECURESERVER
    > or contact $companyname $SANFACEmail
    >
    > so much for the eval :-(
    >
    > Is pcl6 easy to get my hands on?
    >
    > - Jeff H

    Ghostscript. Numerous open source and commercial products use it quite
    graciously, including HylaFAX (which is available for SCO as well).

  13. Re: ascii to pdf

    On Mar 11, 6:01*pm, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > On 11 Mar, 20:46, Jeff Hyman wrote:
    >

    > > Jean-Pierre Radley typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 04:11:27PM -0400):
    > > | Marc Champagne typed (on Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 02:17:07PM -0500):
    > > | |

    > > | |
    > > | |
    > > | |

    > > | When did it become owned by linut?
    > > |
    > > | While I mentioned sanface' software in my prior response, I forgot that I
    > > | use pcl6 far more often, and it's free.
    > > | JP

    > > Before I continue digging, which would you think is my best bet? *
    > > I have downloaded 'txt2pdf-9.5' from sanface. *It says it has a
    > > 30 day fre evaluation period, but:

    > > # txt2pdf.pl

    > > returns a licensing violation error:

    > > This is an UNREGISTERED version of $producer1.
    > > Registration fee is $39 for the Personal Edition.>From $130 for the Enterprise Edition.

    > > Register NOW via a SECURE SERVER at
    > > $SECURESERVER
    > > or contact $companyname $SANFACEmail

    > > so much for the eval :-(

    > > Is pcl6 easy to get my hands on?

    > > - Jeff H

    > Ghostscript. Numerous open source and commercial products use it quite
    > graciously, including HylaFAX (which is available for SCO as well).

    Ghostscript is still available on the Skunkworks site. Only problem I
    had when I tried it a few years ago was a substantial performance hit
    on the system. That may have been an earlier version.

    Mark

  14. Re: ascii to pdf

    On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:17:07 -0500, Marc Champagne
    wrote:

    >Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    >@lonestar.cactus.com:
    >
    >> Here's a quickie,
    >>
    >> Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    >> put it into a PDF format?
    >>
    >> TIA,
    >> - Jeff H

    >I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    >pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    >
    >http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    >
    >Marc

    I use this, too, quite successfully. The only trick to it is that the
    pcl6 output tends to be quite large; to make it manageable, I run the
    pcl6 output back through ghostscript with the DEVICE=pdfwrite option,
    which produces a much more manageable file size.

    --

    Richard Seeder

  15. Re: ascii to pdf

    Richard Seeder wrote in

    > On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:17:07 -0500, Marc Champagne
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    >>@lonestar.cactus.com:
    >>
    >>> Here's a quickie,
    >>>
    >>> Is there a command or filter that can take ascii output and
    >>> put it into a PDF format?
    >>>
    >>> TIA,
    >>> - Jeff H

    >>I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    >>pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    >>
    >>http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    >>
    >>Marc

    > I use this, too, quite successfully. The only trick to it is that the
    > pcl6 output tends to be quite large; to make it manageable, I run the
    > pcl6 output back through ghostscript with the DEVICE=pdfwrite option,
    > which produces a much more manageable file size.
    >
    > --
    >
    > Richard Seeder

    Hmm, very interesting, will give that a look-see.

    Marc

  16. Re: ascii to pdf

    Marc Champagne wrote:
    > Richard Seeder wrote in
    >
    >> On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 14:17:07 -0500, Marc Champagne
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Jeff Hyman wrote in news:20080311162905.GA29238
    >>> @lonestar.cactus.com:

    >>> I have been using linut's ghostpcl for many years to convert text and/or
    >>> pcl to pdf quite succesfully.
    >>>
    >>> http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/
    >>>
    >>> Marc

    >> I use this, too, quite successfully. The only trick to it is that the
    >> pcl6 output tends to be quite large; to make it manageable, I run the
    >> pcl6 output back through ghostscript with the DEVICE=pdfwrite option,
    >> which produces a much more manageable file size.
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Richard Seeder

    > Hmm, very interesting, will give that a look-see.
    >
    > Marc

    The latest version is actually "ghostpdl". I've recently RPM bundled it for
    RHEL, and would be happy to test it under SCO OpenServer 5.0.x and send notes
    to Brian's website....

  17. Re: ascii to pdf

    >>> I use this, too, quite successfully. The only trick to it is that the
    >>> pcl6 output tends to be quite large; to make it manageable, I run the
    >>> pcl6 output back through ghostscript with the DEVICE=pdfwrite option,
    >>> which produces a much more manageable file size.
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>>
    >>> Richard Seeder

    >> Hmm, very interesting, will give that a look-see.
    >>
    >> Marc

    > The latest version is actually "ghostpdl". I've recently RPM bundled it
    > for RHEL, and would be happy to test it under SCO OpenServer 5.0.x and
    > send notes to Brian's website....

    I just put 1.51 up.

  18. Re: ascii to pdf

    "Brian K. White" wrote in

    >> The latest version is actually "ghostpdl". I've recently RPM bundled
    >> it for RHEL, and would be happy to test it under SCO OpenServer 5.0.x
    >> and send notes to Brian's website....

    > I just put 1.51 up.

    You managed to save me quite a few large headaches in the past few months,
    hat's off to ya!

    Marc

  19. Re: ascii to pdf

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    You're so cool.

    Any chance of putting up the latest HylaFAX from Sourceforge to go with it?
    I've been dealing with a PCL->fax issue, and would happily integrate it

  20. ftp.jpr.com [Was: Re: ascii to pdf]

    Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 07:10:29PM +0000):

    > Any chance of putting up the latest HylaFAX from Sourceforge to go with it?
    > I've been dealing with a PCL->fax issue, and would happily integrate it

    At ftp.jpr.com, in the /pub directory, you can find:

    hylafax522osr5.edge.bz2
    hylafax522osr6.edge.bz2
    pcl6forOSR5.tar.bz2
    pcl6forOSR6.tar.bz2

    Note that I haven't totally convinced Lee Howard about proper typerules
    entries for PCL, but the typerules file that I use myself and have
    included in those archives will properly invoke pcl6 on a pcl file.

    I also just put up lzma4.32.5forOSR6.bz2 in my ftp collection. Lzma
    is "yasp", yet another squeezing program, which will (usually) wring
    more fat out of files than gzip or bzip2. (I'll try to get around to
    compiling it for OSR 5 soon...)

    --
    JP

+ Reply to Thread