ascii to pdf - SCO

This is a discussion on ascii to pdf - SCO ; Jean-Pierre Radley wrote: > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 07:10:29PM +0000): >> Any chance of putting up the latest HylaFAX from Sourceforge to go with it? >> I've been dealing with a PCL->fax issue, and would ...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 31 of 31

  1. Re: ftp.jpr.com [Was: Re: ascii to pdf]

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia typed (on Sat, Mar 15, 2008 at 07:10:29PM +0000):
    >> Any chance of putting up the latest HylaFAX from Sourceforge to go with it?
    >> I've been dealing with a PCL->fax issue, and would happily integrate it

    > At ftp.jpr.com, in the /pub directory, you can find:
    >
    > hylafax522osr5.edge.bz2
    > hylafax522osr6.edge.bz2
    > pcl6forOSR5.tar.bz2
    > pcl6forOSR6.tar.bz2
    >
    > Note that I haven't totally convinced Lee Howard about proper typerules
    > entries for PCL, but the typerules file that I use myself and have
    > included in those archives will properly invoke pcl6 on a pcl file.

    Cool. The PCL handling is quite new, and happened partly because *I* recently
    wrote to the two different HylaFAX developer groups and asked for it. (I wrote
    the SunOS port of HylaFAX, a long, long time ago!) There is also a commercial
    ps2pdf program for both SCO OpenServer and Linux, if you are not happy with
    pcl6. I'll look at my typerules and compare it with yours on Tuesday.

    > I also just put up lzma4.32.5forOSR6.bz2 in my ftp collection. Lzma
    > is "yasp", yet another squeezing program, which will (usually) wring
    > more fat out of files than gzip or bzip2. (I'll try to get around to
    > compiling it for OSR 5 soon...)

    OK, *why* pursue yet another compression algorithm? Given the ubiquity and
    flexibility of gzip, is yet another one necessary? What's the rough difference
    in cmpression ratios?

  2. Re: ascii to pdf

    #0 string ^&l0 tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    #0 string ^E tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    #0 string ^%-12345X tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    # Using GhostPDL:
    0 string ^&l0 tiff
    pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i
    0 string ^E tiff
    pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i
    0 string ^%-12345X tiff
    pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i

    Then hylafax will recognize most pcl automagically. You can just run
    sendfax -n -d 12223334444 file.pcl

    There's really no way to make it foolproof though because plain text with no
    escape codes at all is still valid pcl.
    But when you're capturing output from an application it's no problem since
    generally that will always have at least some printer init codes configured
    in the app that get prepended to all output even if it had no other codes in
    it.
    The ^ are really escape characters, an actual escape character in the
    typerules file, not a representation like ^[ or \E
    pcltotif from the downloadable vsifax demo is about a hundred times faster,
    and better at raster graphics.

    I just rebuilt ghostpdl with his patches which means two awsome things,
    1) the binary no longer requires xorg6.9.0Ab libraries (also part of recent
    gwxlibs, which itself is also part of osr507mp5)
    now it only needs libm and libc (oss646c)
    2) the binary can output tiffg3 directly, and so the command in typerules
    above works
    I included a pcl2fax script too which uses the same command.

    The filenames are the same on the web site but they contain the new build
    now.

  3. Re: ascii to pdf

    Brian K. White wrote:
> [...]

    It's pretty seriously out of date. The updates are minor, but useful.

    > For faxing PCL, it is possible to use the standard ghostpcl/ghostpdl to
    > output PS and feed that into sendfax, but there is a slicker way.
    > This guy : http://www.awale.qc.ca/ghostpdl/
    > Has a sweet tiff patch that adds direct tiffg3 output, which hylafax not
    > only accepts, but unlike PS, it accepts without having to convert yet again.

    Ohhh. Yummy! And he's got SRPM's for me!

    > If you put this in typerules (on the client box in case you're submitting
    > faxes to another box)
    >
    > # 20070219 bkw - HP PCL
    > # Using pcltotif (JetPCL) from VSI-FAX:
    > #0 string ^&l0 tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    > #0 string ^E tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    > #0 string ^%-12345X tiff pcltotif -h off -E fine -o %o %i
    > # Using GhostPDL:
    > 0 string ^&l0 tiff
    > pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    > -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i
    > 0 string ^E tiff
    > pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    > -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i
    > 0 string ^%-12345X tiff
    > pcl6 -dNOPAUSE -dBATCH -dSAFER=true -sDEVICE=tiffg3 -sPAPERSIZE=letter -dFIXEDMEDIA
    > -r203.29x196 -sOutputFile=%o %i
    >
    > Then hylafax will recognize most pcl automagically. You can just run
    > sendfax -n -d 12223334444 file.pcl
    >
    > There's really no way to make it foolproof though because plain text with no
    > escape codes at all is still valid pcl.
    > But when you're capturing output from an application it's no problem since
    > generally that will always have at least some printer init codes configured
    > in the app that get prepended to all output even if it had no other codes in
    > it.

    Yeah, that's what I'm facing.

    > The ^ are really escape characters, an actual escape character in the
    > typerules file, not a representation like ^[ or \E
    > pcltotif from the downloadable vsifax demo is about a hundred times faster,
    > and better at raster graphics.
    >
    > I just rebuilt ghostpdl with his patches which means two awsome things,
    > 1) the binary no longer requires xorg6.9.0Ab libraries (also part of recent
    > gwxlibs, which itself is also part of osr507mp5)
    > now it only needs libm and libc (oss646c)
    > 2) the binary can output tiffg3 directly, and so the command in typerules
    > above works
    > I included a pcl2fax script too which uses the same command.

    *GOOD*.

    > The filenames are the same on the web site but they contain the new build
    > now.

  4. lzma Was Re: ftp.jpr.com [Was: Re: ascii to pdf]

    On Sun, 16 Mar 2008, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > OK, *why* pursue yet another compression algorithm? Given the ubiquity and
    > flexibility of gzip, is yet another one necessary? What's the rough difference
    > in cmpression ratios?

    lzma -2 compresses 11% better than bzip -9, lzma -5 even 18%

    And at a pretty impressive price:

    2008-03-12 20:41:28: built kernel-source in 4 + 43 + 182 s
    2008-03-13 22:03:23: built kernel-source in 5 + 43 + 195 s

    --
    Boyd Gerber

  5. Re: ascii to pdf

    >> I think JPR and skunkware both have hylafax binaries for osr5 already.
    >> ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...beta2-VOLS.tar

    > It's pretty seriously out of date. The updates are minor, but useful.

    Didn't JPR just post 5.2.2 ?

    I want to see HylaFAX+ though. The + version includes a few crucial hooks
    for integrating hylafax into other apps & databases. The main version
    doesn't have that because ifax, who pretty much manage the main hylafax
    branch, sells a commercial enhanced hylafax where the primary enhancement is
    exactly that, database integration.

    I use hylafax+ on my linux boxes and all faxes are databased in filePro in
    our filePro application. I couldn't do that with the regular hylafax. It's
    more than merely printing to fax, it's integrated such that the app can find
    out info about faxes that have to do with application items, like, whats
    every fax that has been sent relating to this invoice, and what is the
    current status of those fax jobs?
    Vsifax has very good integration mechanisms for stuff like that via the user
    tags and the custimizeable db schemas in general if the 4 user tags isn't
    enough, and via all the event notify procedure scripts. in place of the user
    tags, hylafax+ provides a -i option to sendfax which you can cram stuff into
    which you can then parse out of faxstat later, or out of the individual fax
    log files or the main hylafax log file. In place of vsifax's various ENP
    scripts hylafax+ provides a FaxAccounting script, or rather, hylafax+ will
    execute a script /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxAccounting at every action, if it
    exists.

    But all my sco customers have vsifax, and all new customers have linux and I
    have hylafax+ for linux, and so I don't know when if ever I'll be much
    motivated to build hylafax+ on osr5.

  6. Re: ascii to pdf

    Brian K. White wrote:
    >>> I think JPR and skunkware both have hylafax binaries for osr5 already.
    >>> ftp://ftp2.sco.com/pub/skunkware/osr...beta2-VOLS.tar

    >> It's pretty seriously out of date. The updates are minor, but useful.

    > Didn't JPR just post 5.2.2 ?
    >
    > I want to see HylaFAX+ though. The + version includes a few crucial hooks
    > for integrating hylafax into other apps & databases. The main version
    > doesn't have that because ifax, who pretty much manage the main hylafax
    > branch, sells a commercial enhanced hylafax where the primary enhancement is
    > exactly that, database integration.
    >
    > I use hylafax+ on my linux boxes and all faxes are databased in filePro in
    > our filePro application. I couldn't do that with the regular hylafax. It's
    > more than merely printing to fax, it's integrated such that the app can find
    > out info about faxes that have to do with application items, like, whats
    > every fax that has been sent relating to this invoice, and what is the
    > current status of those fax jobs?
    > Vsifax has very good integration mechanisms for stuff like that via the user
    > tags and the custimizeable db schemas in general if the 4 user tags isn't
    > enough, and via all the event notify procedure scripts. in place of the user
    > tags, hylafax+ provides a -i option to sendfax which you can cram stuff into
    > which you can then parse out of faxstat later, or out of the individual fax
    > log files or the main hylafax log file. In place of vsifax's various ENP
    > scripts hylafax+ provides a FaxAccounting script, or rather, hylafax+ will
    > execute a script /var/spool/hylafax/etc/FaxAccounting at every action, if it
    > exists.
    >
    > But all my sco customers have vsifax, and all new customers have linux and I
    > have hylafax+ for linux, and so I don't know when if ever I'll be much
    > motivated to build hylafax+ on osr5.

    Brian? hylafax-5.2.2 *IS* HylaFAX+. It's a fork published over at
    sourceforge.net: the main HylaFAX codeline at www.hylafax.org is still only 4.4.4.

    The 4.1beta2 at Skunkware is seriously out of date. What would it take, I
    wonder, to get Skunkware to set up a "discontinued" directory for such
    packages, so they don't confuse us folks who go ahead and use gnutools and try
    to update these packages?

  7. Re: ascii to pdf

    Brian K. White typed (on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:53:39AM -0400):

    | For faxing PCL, it is possible to use the standard ghostpcl/ghostpdl to
    | output PS and feed that into sendfax, but there is a slicker way.
    | This guy : http://www.awale.qc.ca/ghostpdl/
    | Has a sweet tiff patch that adds direct tiffg3 output, which hylafax not
    | only accepts, but unlike PS, it accepts without having to convert yet again.
    |
    | If you put this in typerules (on the client box in case you're submitting
    | faxes to another box)
    |

    | 0 string ^&l0 tiff

    What in the world does ^& represent?

    | 0 string ^%-12345X tiff

    I know that 0x1B (ESCape) followed by %-12345X is the beginning sequence
    for PJL output, but I don't follow your ^%-12345X.

    What hex characters are your '^&' and '^%' representing? I cannot find
    any web page that describes such notation.

    --
    JP

  8. Re: ascii to pdf

    > Brian K. White typed (on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:53:39AM -0400):
    > |
    > | For faxing PCL, it is possible to use the standard ghostpcl/ghostpdl to
    > | output PS and feed that into sendfax, but there is a slicker way.
    > | This guy : http://www.awale.qc.ca/ghostpdl/
    > | Has a sweet tiff patch that adds direct tiffg3 output, which hylafax not
    > | only accepts, but unlike PS, it accepts without having to convert yet
    > again.
    > |
    > | If you put this in typerules (on the client box in case you're
    > submitting
    > | faxes to another box)
    > |

    > | 0 string ^&l0 tiff
    >
    > What in the world does ^& represent?
    >
    > | 0 string ^%-12345X tiff
    >
    > I know that 0x1B (ESCape) followed by %-12345X is the beginning sequence
    > for PJL output, but I don't follow your ^%-12345X.
    >
    > What hex characters are your '^&' and '^%' representing? I cannot find
    > any web page that describes such notation.

    "The ^ are really escape characters, an actual escape character in the
    typerules file, not a representation like ^[ or \E"

    The editor I cut&pasted out of just displayed it like that.

  9. Re: ascii to pdf

    >>> It's pretty seriously out of date. The updates are minor, but useful.

    >> Didn't JPR just post 5.2.2 ?
    >>
    >> I want to see HylaFAX+ though. The + version includes a few crucial hooks

    > Brian? hylafax-5.2.2 *IS* HylaFAX+.
    > The main HylaFAX codeline at www.hylafax.org is still only 4.4.4.

    Doh, yeah, headsmak. Right, I knew that... Sorry.

  10. Re: ascii to pdf

    Brian K. White typed (on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:00:17PM -0400):

    | From: "Jean-Pierre Radley"
    | >
    | > | 0 string ^&l0 tiff
    | >
    | > What in the world does ^& represent?
    | >
    | > | 0 string ^%-12345X tiff
    | >
    | > I know that 0x1B (ESCape) followed by %-12345X is the beginning sequence
    | > for PJL output, but I don't follow your ^%-12345X.
    | >
    | > What hex characters are your '^&' and '^%' representing? I cannot find
    | > any web page that describes such notation.

    | "The ^ are really escape characters, an actual escape character in the
    | typerules file, not a representation like ^[ or \E"
    |
    | The editor I cut&pasted out of just displayed it like that.

    I've read it and re-read it and you're still losing me.

    Please give it to me in hex -- what are those two strings in hex?

    Or tell me whence you cut&pasted?

    --
    JP

  11. Re: ascii to pdf

    > Brian K. White typed (on Sun, Mar 16, 2008 at 05:00:17PM -0400):
    > |
    > | From: "Jean-Pierre Radley"

    > | > What in the world does ^& represent?

    > | > I know that 0x1B (ESCape) followed by %-12345X is the beginning sequence
    > | > for PJL output, but I don't follow your ^%-12345X.
    > | >
    > | > What hex characters are your '^&' and '^%' representing? I cannot find
    > | > any web page that describes such notation.

    > | "The ^ are really escape characters, an actual escape character in the
    > | typerules file, not a representation like ^[ or \E"
    > |
    > | The editor I cut&pasted out of just displayed it like that.
    >
    > I've read it and re-read it and you're still losing me.
    >
    > Please give it to me in hex -- what are those two strings in hex?
    >
    > Or tell me whence you cut&pasted?

    Think'n too much.

    ^ = escape

    Simple as that.

    The editor was cooledit built into midnight commander.

    In any event, the indicated web page where the ghostpdl package under discussion is (and the ftp mirror at pcunix.com/pub/bkw), also has a partial typerules file, not a text representation but a raw file, so regardless of any inability to comunicate here, there is the actual file to look at using whatever editor or utility you happen to like.
    http://www.aljex.com/bkw/sco/HylaFAX_typerules
    ftp://pcunix.com/pub/bkw/HylaFAX_typerules

    I think there is room for improvement here too. The guy with the tiff patch also has a pcl2fax script that is meant to be run by hylafax from the hylafax spooler bin directory and looks fairly flexible instead of the way I have all hard coded pcl6 settings in typerules above.

    He also has something I've been wanting for a long time and have been putting off writing myself, a non-interactive hylafax client that can use passive-ftp (well, passive-hylafax, which is practically ftp, including the passive vs port modes) so that I can submit faxes over the internet and through nat routers. I was going solve that need a different way by writing a cgi, to which I would submit fax jobs via wget --post-file, which really I would still like even better, but his perl script looks like it will do the job and it's already written. The guy is like one-stop shopping for filling in the missing pieces to hylafax to make it truely useful, at least for the likes of us.

    http://awale.qc.ca/pcl2fax/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2