Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du - SCO

  1. Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du

    From uucp Sat Mar 8 23:45:00 2008
    From: UUCP administrator
    To: uucp@w0.ctldirect.com
    Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du
    Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 23:45:00 -0500 (EST)

    2 /usr/spool/uucp/.Old
    2 /usr/spool/uucp/.Sequence
    2 /usr/spool/uucp/.Status
    2 /usr/spool/uucp/.Workspace
    2 /usr/spool/uucp/.Xqtdir
    26 /usr/spool/uucp

    Thanks
    Marc Champagne

  2. Re: Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du

    Marc Champagne wrote:

    > I have searched hi and low, many times over the last upteen years.
    >
    > I still am stumped at what runs uuclean, it's not in cron (unless it's a
    > spin-off from some entry in there, which I doubt, as I don't have a 23:45
    > entry)
    >
    > I would simply like to turn it OFF, anyone have an idea?
    >
    > It always runs at 23:45 and generates a mail message as follows:

    Gee:

    # man uuclean
    This program is typically started by the shell uudemon.clean, which
    should be started by cron(C).
    # man uudemon.clean
    uudemon.clean
    +++++++++++++

    The uudemon.clean shell script, as delivered, takes log files for
    individual machines from the /usr/spool/.Log directory, merges them,
    and places them in the /usr/spool/.Old directory with other old
    log information. If log files get large, the ulimit may need to be
    increased. It also removes work files (C.) 7 days old or older,
    data files (D.) 7 days old or older, and execute files (X.) 2 days
    old or older from the spool files. uudemon.clean mails a summary of
    the status information gathered during the current day to the UUCP
    administrative login (uucp).

    The default crontab entry for uudemon.clean is:

    45 23 * * * ulimit 5000; /bin/su uucp -c \
    "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean" > /dev/null
    # cd /usr/spool/cron/crontabs
    # grep clean u*
    uucp:45 23 * * * ulimit 5000; /usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.clean > /dev/null

    Does any part of this disagree with your system?

    >Bela<

  3. Re: Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du

    Marc Champagne typed (on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:10:35PM -0500):

    | I have searched hi and low, many times over the last upteen years.
    |
    | I still am stumped at what runs uuclean, it's not in cron (unless it's a
    | spin-off from some entry in there, which I doubt, as I don't have a 23:45
    | entry)
    |
    | I would simply like to turn it OFF, anyone have an idea?
    |
    | It always runs at 23:45 ...

    Cron, only cron, and nothing but cron, is running uuclean on your
    machine, as it does on hundreds if not thousands of other sites.

    I suspect that, as root, you are typing

    crontab -l

    and not seeing any tasks remotely matching uuclean at 23:45 or indeed at
    any time at all. That's pretty normal.

    But if you now typed

    crontab -luuucp

    what do you see?

    --
    JP

  4. Re: Subject: uuclean ran; /usr/spool/uucp du

    Jean-Pierre Radley wrote in

    > Marc Champagne typed (on Mon, Mar 10, 2008 at 08:10:35PM -0500):
    >|
    >| I have searched hi and low, many times over the last upteen years.
    >|
    >| I still am stumped at what runs uuclean, it's not in cron (unless
    >| it's a spin-off from some entry in there, which I doubt, as I don't
    >| have a 23:45 entry)
    >|
    >| I would simply like to turn it OFF, anyone have an idea?
    >|
    >| It always runs at 23:45 ...
    >
    > Cron, only cron, and nothing but cron, is running uuclean on your
    > machine, as it does on hundreds if not thousands of other sites.
    >
    > I suspect that, as root, you are typing
    >
    > crontab -l
    >
    > and not seeing any tasks remotely matching uuclean at 23:45 or indeed
    > at any time at all. That's pretty normal.
    >
    > But if you now typed
    >
    > crontab -luuucp
    >
    > what do you see?

    I see my head burried in sand

    Never came to my mind to verify other "users" for crontab.

    Thanks JP

    Marc

+ Reply to Thread