Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5 - SCO

This is a discussion on Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5 - SCO ; Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5 sever. I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array. At the boot: ...

  1. Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    sever.

    I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.

    At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    to begin installation" message.

    A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    reattach the device to retry."

    Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.

    I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.

    I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    doesn't.

    Any ideas greatly received :-)

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Baz wrote:
    > Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    > sever.
    >
    > I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    > latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.
    >
    > At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    > Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    > and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    > continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    > to begin installation" message.
    >
    > A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    > "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    > T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    > reattach the device to retry."
    >
    > Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.
    >
    > I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    > Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.
    >
    > I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    > doesn't.
    >
    > Any ideas greatly received :-)
    >
    > Thanks.

    You need to disable the legacy floppy driver in the BIOS before you
    begin. See TA#126363 on SCO's web pages.

    SCO Authorized Partner
    Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    E-mail: patubb@inreach.com

  3. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On 5 Mar, 13:38, Pat Welch wrote:
    > Baz wrote:
    > > Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    > > sever.

    > > I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    > > latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.

    > > At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    > > Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > > as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    > > and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    > > continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    > > to begin installation" message.

    > > A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    > > "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    > > T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    > > reattach the device to retry."

    > > Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.

    > > I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    > > Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.

    > > I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    > > doesn't.

    > > Any ideas greatly received :-)

    > > Thanks.

    > You need to disable the legacy floppy driver in the BIOS before you
    > begin. See TA#126363 on SCO's web pages.
    >
    > --
    > Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    > SCO Authorized Partner
    > Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    > Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    > (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    > E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

    I forgot to mention that I had already disabled the Floppy controller
    from the BIOS.

  4. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Baz wrote:
    > On 5 Mar, 13:38, Pat Welch wrote:
    >> Baz wrote:
    >>> Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    >>> sever.
    >>> I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    >>> latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.
    >>> At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    >>> Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    >>> as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    >>> and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    >>> continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    >>> to begin installation" message.
    >>> A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    >>> "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    >>> T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    >>> reattach the device to retry."
    >>> Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.
    >>> I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    >>> Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.
    >>> I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    >>> doesn't.
    >>> Any ideas greatly received :-)
    >>> Thanks.

    >> You need to disable the legacy floppy driver in the BIOS before you
    >> begin. See TA#126363 on SCO's web pages.
    >>
    >> --
    >> Pat Welch, UBB Computer Services, a WCS Affiliate
    >> SCO Authorized Partner
    >> Microlite BackupEdge Certified Reseller
    >> Unix/Linux/Windows/Hardware Sales/Support
    >> (209) 745-1401 Cell: (209) 251-9120
    >> E-mail: pat...@inreach.com

    > I forgot to mention that I had already disabled the Floppy controller
    > from the BIOS.

    This looks like a question for HP technical support since the TA
    sited by Pat refers to the DL380-G4 (it's not beyond HP to make
    changes in their systems re G4 vs G5).

    I have not installed from a USB floppy so this is just a guess:
    Looks like the error message is suggesting that you use
    something other then Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0)?

    >>> T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please

    ------ --------
    ^ ^
    ? ?

    Unfortunately, TA125420 is not too helpful in what boot parameters to
    use when (0,0,0) does not work:

    usb_msto --> USB driver to use.
    (0,0,0) ---> USB device ID's. If you had another USB device attached
    to the server that has a higher order then the USB
    floppy, then it will look like this:
    Sflp=usb_msto(0,1,0)

    In some servers, you might need to add additional boot parameter
    if the above fails:

    boot
    > : defbootstr Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) btld=fd(65) link="BTLD"

    btld=fd(65) means, load the BTLD from the floppy with minor
    number 65. Boot loader on the CD is fd(64).

    Place the BTLD floppy disk in the USB floppy drive.

    2- The install kernel will be loaded and then it requests for the
    BTLD. After each BTLD is installed, check for error
    messages indicating that it did not link successfully.
    If all is well, continue the installation as normal.

    The installation will now able to access the USB floppy and
    extract the BTLD.

    NOTES:
    It is highly recommend to use the July 2005 cut of OSR507
    CD Media which has the appropriate USB additions and better USB
    driver handling.

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  5. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Is it possible that the USB Floppy drive is incompatible?

  6. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On Mar 5, 10:58 am, Baz wrote:
    > Is it possible that the USB Floppy drive is incompatible?

    It is worth trying a different one.

    I have a Targus PA905 which has worked fine.

    Mike

  7. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On Mar 5, 1:04 pm, Baz wrote:
    > Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    > sever.
    >
    > I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    > latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.
    >
    > At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    > Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    > and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    > continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    > to begin installation" message.
    >
    > A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    > "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    > T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    > reattach the device to retry."
    >
    > Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.
    >
    > I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    > Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.
    >
    > I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    > doesn't.
    >
    > Any ideas greatly received :-)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Few weeks ago I managed to install the same OpenServer version on
    DL380 G5 with P400 RAID, but only using external USB floppy and
    optical device (Philips DVD writer). If it may be of interest, I can
    check the exact model marks for both devices and let you know. I think
    that defbootstr was something like

    link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)

    I've used newest HP/Compaq EFS, including BTLD diskette that provides
    hpsas driver. In EFS are included drivers for embedded 373i Gigabit
    NICs.

    If you want to have SMP, then after installing SMP you have to apply
    MP5 and one additional SLS (OSS674, if I remember well) before
    rebooting the machine, otherwise it may hang during next boot.

    I was not able to make use of server's internal optical device (DVD
    writer), and would like to get advice if it is possible and how. I
    even tried with BTLD diskette containing newer wd driver with no
    success.

    You should look at SCO's site (Knowledge Center) for several topics
    regarding SCO OpenServer 5.x and HP/Compaq servers, published during
    last two weeks.

    Darko Krstic

  8. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On Wed, 5 Mar 2008 07:58:29 -0800 (PST), Baz
    wrote:

    >Is it possible that the USB Floppy drive is incompatible?

    It certainly is.

    Unfortunately, most USB diskette drives on the market have an ID in
    their EPROM that a system's BIOS will parse as a hard disk or a
    removable hard disk (Zip, etc), not as a diskette drive.

    Not surprisingly, Teac is the best choice for compatibility.

    There are several companies out there (Targus is one) who re-brand
    Teacs. Mitsumi and Sony drives are also a good bet.

    The easiest way to see what kind of drive it really is...is to hook it
    up to a running machine and see what comes up on its console or device
    manager.

    --Alan DePietro
    Systems Engineer
    Seneca Data Distributors

  9. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Thanks everyone

    I will get a different drive.

    Interestingly I found an article on SCO's website about how to use a
    CD for the BTLD drivers, BUT you need an already running computer with
    SCO openserver on it...

  10. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On 5 Mar, 12:04, Baz wrote:
    > Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    > sever.
    >
    > I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    > latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.
    >
    > At the boot: I use defbootstr link=hpsas hd=Sdsk Sdsk=hpsas(0,0,0,0)
    > Srom=wd(0,0,0)
    > as per the HP instructions, and it appears to be going OK. It asks for
    > and loads the drivers whilst still on the "boot" screen, it then
    > continues after loading the drivers until it reaches the "Press ENTER
    > to begin installation" message.
    >
    > A few seconds after this, a message appears as follows
    > "usb_msto: please disconnect and re-attach the device to try again.
    > T.584-usb_msto0 0200 2 : Initialization failure. Please
    > reattach the device to retry."
    >
    > Needless to say, reattaching it doesn't work.
    >
    > I have done a lot of searching about and tried things like adding
    > Sflp=usb_msto(0,0,0) to the bootstrap, but that doesn't work.
    >
    > I am puzzled as to why it first appears to load the drivers, then
    > doesn't.
    >
    > Any ideas greatly received :-)
    >
    > Thanks.

    Don't bother. Since OpenServer was written years ago, and is basically
    obsolete, and the vendor is bankruptcy, simply virtualize it with
    VMware on your contemporary hardware and forget about all the hardware
    compatibility issues. Leave resolvoing those to a contemporary OS: I
    use RHEL 5 for this.

  11. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    We can't use another OS unfortunately.

    But panic (literally) is over, got a new Toshiba FDD USB drive and SCO
    has installed successfully.

    Thanks for your help

  12. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Baz wrote:
    > We can't use another OS unfortunately.
    >
    > But panic (literally) is over, got a new Toshiba FDD USB drive and SCO
    > has installed successfully.
    >
    > Thanks for your help

    How about posting the manufacture and model of the USB drive that
    caused the original difficulty so that others will be forewarned
    to avoid it?

    Original post added for future seekers:

    --
    Steve Fabac
    S.M. Fabac & Associates

  13. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Baz wrote:
    > Hi, I am trying to install SCO Openserver 5.0.7 onto a new HP DL380G5
    > sever.
    >
    > I am using a USB floppy disk drive that has a disk containing HP's
    > latest EFS. for the Smartstart P400 SAS array.

    OK, stop right there. Try installing a contemporary, supported OS (RHEL 5 and
    CentOS 5 work well with this base hardware) and install VMware Workstation 6,
    or VMWare Server 6, to run your OpenServer 5.0.7 with IDE configured virtual
    drives. Unless you're really hammering your system and exceeding the disk or
    other bottlenecks of virtualization, this will serve your needs quite
    comfortably. It's working quite well for me right now with 5.0.6.

  14. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:24:39 UTC, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > ... and install VMware Workstation 6, or VMWare Server 6, to run your
    > OpenServer 5.0.7 with IDE configured virtual drives.

    Has anyone installed OpenServer or UnixWare under Parallels, Qemu, or
    other VMs? I've had a hard time finding what network interfaces either OS
    supports as I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can't get it on the LAN.

    -Gary

  15. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    I wish I could install it under VMWare, but it isn't my choice, the
    software vendor for the application running on SCO won't support it if
    it is on VMWare...

    Anyway, the suspect Floppy drive that didn't work was a Plextor PX-
    FD1U

    Thanks!

  16. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Gary wrote:
    > On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:24:39 UTC, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    >> ... and install VMware Workstation 6, or VMWare Server 6, to run your
    >> OpenServer 5.0.7 with IDE configured virtual drives.

    > Has anyone installed OpenServer or UnixWare under Parallels, Qemu, or
    > other VMs? I've had a hard time finding what network interfaces either OS
    > supports as I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can't get it on the LAN.

    I installed both SCO OS 5.0.7, 6.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.4 under VmWare server
    under Linux (using the emulated IDE device which comes with VmWare) and they
    work fine.

    I've tried SCO OS 5.0.7 under Qemu but even with the help of a SCO guru but it
    had troubles recognizing the IDE disk :-(

    I'll try in the near future with VirtualBox (from Innotek/Sun) and I'll keep
    the forum informed if anyone is interested.

    Best,
    Rob

  17. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Rob wrote:
    > Gary wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:24:39 UTC, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... and install VMware Workstation 6, or VMWare Server 6, to run your
    >>> OpenServer 5.0.7 with IDE configured virtual drives.

    >> Has anyone installed OpenServer or UnixWare under Parallels, Qemu, or
    >> other VMs? I've had a hard time finding what network interfaces either OS
    >> supports as I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can't get it on the LAN.
    >>

    > I installed both SCO OS 5.0.7, 6.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.4 under VmWare server
    > under Linux (using the emulated IDE device which comes with VmWare) and they
    > work fine.
    >
    > I've tried SCO OS 5.0.7 under Qemu but even with the help of a SCO guru but it
    > had troubles recognizing the IDE disk :-(
    >
    > I'll try in the near future with VirtualBox (from Innotek/Sun) and I'll keep
    > the forum informed if anyone is interested.

    Well, today I gave SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 under VirtualBox a try but
    unsuccessfully :-(

    The problem seems to be with the IDE hard disk and the video card; to get a
    working (ie, readable) screen after the initial boot, you do need the oss661a
    patch available.

    You can use VirtualBox "virtual floppy" disk to "mount" the btld image and it
    works fine.

    When booting:

    defbootstr link=invd prompt

    Once this is done, you'll find out that OS5 is unable to detect the underlying
    hard disk; I tried with the wd_v2.0 BTLD but unsuccessfully.

    defbootstr link="invd wd" prompt

    Since much of the virtual HW used by VirtualBox is from the Qemu project, I
    think I stumbled across the very same problem I faced when I tried to run OS5
    under Qemu:

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6c94ebbe5a4008
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp....03444651bf314e

    As far as I know, VirtualBox is able to emulate in iSCSI disk but SCO OS 5.0.7
    does not have support for that; dunno about the ability to emulate SCSI disks.

    If anyone wants to contribute, feel free.

    Anyway, I'll give OS6 a try in a few moments.

    Best,
    Rob

  18. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Rob wrote:
    > Rob wrote:
    >> Gary wrote:

    >>> Has anyone installed OpenServer or UnixWare under Parallels, Qemu, or
    >>> other VMs? I've had a hard time finding what network interfaces either OS
    >>> supports as I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can't get it on the LAN.
    >>>

    >> I installed both SCO OS 5.0.7, 6.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.4 under VmWare server
    >> under Linux (using the emulated IDE device which comes with VmWare) and they
    >> work fine.
    >>
    >> I've tried SCO OS 5.0.7 under Qemu but even with the help of a SCO guru but it
    >> had troubles recognizing the IDE disk :-(
    >>
    >> I'll try in the near future with VirtualBox (from Innotek/Sun) and I'll keep
    >> the forum informed if anyone is interested.
    >>

    > Well, today I gave SCO OpenServer 5.0.7 under VirtualBox a try but
    > unsuccessfully :-(
    >
    > The problem seems to be with the IDE hard disk and the video card; to get a
    > working (ie, readable) screen after the initial boot, you do need the oss661a
    > patch available.
    >
    > You can use VirtualBox "virtual floppy" disk to "mount" the btld image and it
    > works fine.
    >
    > When booting:
    >
    > defbootstr link=invd prompt
    >
    > Once this is done, you'll find out that OS5 is unable to detect the underlying
    > hard disk; I tried with the wd_v2.0 BTLD but unsuccessfully.
    >
    > defbootstr link="invd wd" prompt
    >
    > Since much of the virtual HW used by VirtualBox is from the Qemu project, I
    > think I stumbled across the very same problem I faced when I tried to run OS5
    > under Qemu:
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....6c94ebbe5a4008
    > http://groups.google.com/group/comp....03444651bf314e
    >
    > As far as I know, VirtualBox is able to emulate in iSCSI disk but SCO OS 5.0.7
    > does not have support for that; dunno about the ability to emulate SCSI disks.
    >
    > If anyone wants to contribute, feel free.
    >
    > Anyway, I'll give OS6 a try in a few moments.

    Well, I think VmWare is still THE choice for SCO's virtual OSes...

    I tried by installing OS6 under VirtualBox (ah, I forgot to mention that I'm
    operating a SuSE Linux Enterprise Deskop 10 + SP1 and that I'm using the Linux
    version of VirtualBox [version 1.5.4]).

    First off, you have to give the

    USE_VESA_BIOS=Y

    boot parameter. The disk and the CD are correctly recognized and the
    installation starts but after a few moments the installer starts experiencing
    some I/O errors on the CD.

    You can bypass some of them with the [Retry] button available but the whole
    installation phase bombs out with the:

    The custom+ binary (backend) process has died

    I tried by using a CD image instead of a physical one but unsuccessfully (same
    errors, same problems).

    I gave the hba_ide_714g driver a try but as soon as the HD detection phase is
    started, OS6 is unable to find the hard disk.

    I also tried with all the hda_ide drivers release (from version "c" to version
    "g") but only the original one provided with the base install CD (no March
    2006 recut) was able to detect and use the disk but it failed during the
    installation.

    Next week I'll give XEN a try...

    Ciao,
    Rob

  19. Re: Installing SCO 5.0.7 on HP DL380 G5

    Rob wrote:
    > Gary wrote:
    >> On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 10:24:39 UTC, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... and install VMware Workstation 6, or VMWare Server 6, to run your
    >>> OpenServer 5.0.7 with IDE configured virtual drives.

    >> Has anyone installed OpenServer or UnixWare under Parallels, Qemu, or
    >> other VMs? I've had a hard time finding what network interfaces either OS
    >> supports as I'd prefer not to waste my time if I can't get it on the LAN.
    >>

    > I installed both SCO OS 5.0.7, 6.0.0 and UnixWare 7.1.4 under VmWare server
    > under Linux (using the emulated IDE device which comes with VmWare) and they
    > work fine.
    >
    > I've tried SCO OS 5.0.7 under Qemu but even with the help of a SCO guru but it
    > had troubles recognizing the IDE disk :-(
    >
    > I'll try in the near future with VirtualBox (from Innotek/Sun) and I'll keep
    > the forum informed if anyone is interested.
    >
    > Best,
    > Rob

    I've had success with VMware using IDE emulation, and failed with Xen, even
    with a Xen support vendor sitting in trying to set it up on the commercial Xen
    server. They sent a request upstream to Citrix to see if it could support
    SCO Openserver, but the reply came back "no".

+ Reply to Thread