How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about running diskchecks at boot time? - SCO

This is a discussion on How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about running diskchecks at boot time? - SCO ; I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them. How can I gracefully turn ...

  1. How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about running diskchecks at boot time?

    I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.

    How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

  2. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about runningdisk checks at boot time?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia schrieb:
    > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.
    >
    > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    On default it times out after 60 seconds or a value that's adjustable.

    Andreas

  3. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about runningdisk checks at boot time?

    On 4 Mar, 17:04, Andreas Kohl wrote:
    > Nico Kadel-Garcia schrieb:
    >
    > > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    > > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    > > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.

    > > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    > On default it times out after 60 seconds or a value that's adjustable.
    >
    > Andreas

    Where is the default set?

  4. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about running disk checks at boot time?

    >> > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    >> > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    >> > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.

    >> > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    >> On default it times out after 60 seconds or a value that's adjustable.
    >>
    >> Andreas

    > Where is the default set?

    /etc/default/boot

    AUTOBOOT=YES
    MULTIUSER=YES
    TIMEOUT=1

    For further & future reference, man boot

  5. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about running disk checks at boot time?

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.
    >
    > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    .... which several other replies have responded to. Nobody has responded
    to the other part of the subject line: "whining about running disk
    checks" at boot time.

    You only get that whine if the previous shutdown was not an intentional,
    controlled shutdown. Are you just powering the machine off? You need
    to run one of the many shutdown commands (init 0, init 6, shutdown,
    reboot, haltsys, or I'm sure there are several ways to do it from within
    scoadmin). Or if the system is taking itself down with a panic or hang,
    you have a problem that you need to describe in more detail...

    >Bela<

  6. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about runningdisk checks at boot time?

    On Mar 4, 9:01 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.
    >
    > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    You only get this prompt in an interactive boot. Combine that with
    what Bela noted about the disk checks and I've got the impression that
    a lot more is going on than your post lets on.

    Back to the time issue, if you're running NTP you probably want to
    remove the asktime totally. Otherwise a user can enter a wider time
    error than NTP can correct, e.g., types "2007" instead of "2008."
    Comment it out of /etc/inittab and also of /etc/conf/cf.d/init.base,
    from which /etc/inittab is rebuilt. You probably also want to add an
    ntpdate -b to bootup. But unfortunately to have it launch before ntpd
    does you have to edit /etc/tcp and put it there since /etc/tcp is
    launched from /etc/inittab before any of the rc scripts execute.

    --RLR

  7. Re: How to eliminate manual time setting and whining about runningdisk checks at boot time?

    On 4 Mar, 22:10, ThreeStar wrote:
    > On Mar 4, 9:01 am, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
    >
    > > I've recently re-installed an SCO OpenServer 5.0.6 system, and notice
    > > that it and the other, older systems all complain at boot time begging
    > > for someone to hit "Ctrl-d" and then set the time on them.

    > > How can I gracefully turn this *OFF*, or get it to time-out gracefully?

    > You only get this prompt in an interactive boot. *Combine that with
    > what Bela noted about the disk checks and I've got the impression that
    > a lot more is going on than your post lets on.
    >
    > Back to the time issue, if you're running NTP you probably want to
    > remove the asktime totally. *Otherwise a user can enter a wider time
    > error than NTP can correct, e.g., types "2007" instead of "2008."
    > Comment it out of /etc/inittab and also of /etc/conf/cf.d/init.base,
    > from which /etc/inittab is rebuilt. *You probably also want to add an
    > ntpdate -b to bootup. *But unfortunately to have it launch before ntpd
    > does you have to edit /etc/tcp and put it there since /etc/tcp is
    > launched from /etc/inittab before any of the rc scripts execute.
    >
    > --RLR

    What mostly happens is that an impatient admin (which used to include
    me) will hit the prompt while the darn thing is booting up and sitting
    there, rather than waiting 60 seconds with no indication that there is
    a time-out. It's not nice to have a timeout with no notification! And
    60 seconds is fairly excessive.

    I've got NTP set up now on all the SCO systems. It looks like if you
    simply have an ntp.conf file, /etc/tcp does start up ntpd: I'll look
    at whether it does an ntpdate tommorow.

+ Reply to Thread