Mystery IP Number - SCO

This is a discussion on Mystery IP Number - SCO ; While trying to network a Brother Laser Printer HL-5250DN I get an IP address of 192.168.1.42 (via DHCP) through the router. The SCO Unix 5.0.7 System IP address is 192.168.1.47 through the router. If I ping the printer using the ...

  1. Mystery IP Number

    While trying to network a Brother Laser Printer HL-5250DN I get an IP
    address of 192.168.1.42 (via DHCP) through the router. The SCO Unix 5.0.7
    System IP address is 192.168.1.47 through the router. If I ping the printer
    using the IP address of 192.168.1.42 it says that its the laser. But if I
    ping using the printer name of laser I get an IP address of 72.51.27.51
    which says its p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The same thing happens if I
    ping the System. If I ping 192.168.1.47 I get the System name but if I ping
    the System name I get the same IP address of 72.51.27.51 which says its
    p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The /etc/hosts file does not contain either
    the IP address or this Name. If I search the Internet for
    p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com I hit on the medialogik.com website which
    deals with Domain registration and Web hosting. The ifconfig -a gives a
    net0 address of 192.168.1.47 How do I remove this 72.51.27.51 address and
    p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com name from the System ?

    Thanks in advance for any help you can give me

    Frank Costa

  2. Re: Mystery IP Number

    On Feb 29, 5:01*am, "Frank & Michelle Costa"
    wrote:
    > While trying to network a Brother Laser Printer HL-5250DN I get an IP
    > address of 192.168.1.42 (via DHCP) through the router. The SCO Unix 5.0.7
    > System IP address is 192.168.1.47 through the router. If I ping the printer
    > using the IP address of 192.168.1.42 it says that its the laser. But if I
    > ping using the printer name of laser I get an IP address of 72.51.27.51
    > which says its p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. *The same thing happens if I
    > ping the System. If I ping 192.168.1.47 I get the System name but if I ping
    > the System name I get the same IP address of 72.51.27.51 which says its
    > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The /etc/hosts file does not contain either
    > the IP address or this Name. If I search the Internet for
    > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com I hit on the medialogik.com website which
    > deals with Domain registration and Web hosting. *The ifconfig -a gives a
    > net0 address of 192.168.1.47 *How do I remove this 72.51.27.51 address and
    > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com name from the System ?

    I'm suspicious that you may have done something silly in /etc/
    resolv.conf

  3. Re: Mystery IP Number

    On 29 Feb, 11:46, Tony Lawrence wrote:
    > On Feb 29, 5:01*am, "Frank & Michelle Costa"
    > wrote:
    >
    > > While trying to network a Brother Laser Printer HL-5250DN I get an IP
    > > address of 192.168.1.42 (via DHCP) through the router. The SCO Unix 5.0.7
    > > System IP address is 192.168.1.47 through the router. If I ping the printer
    > > using the IP address of 192.168.1.42 it says that its the laser. But if I
    > > ping using the printer name of laser I get an IP address of 72.51.27.51
    > > which says its p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. *The same thing happens if I
    > > ping the System. If I ping 192.168.1.47 I get the System name but if I ping
    > > the System name I get the same IP address of 72.51.27.51 which says its
    > > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The /etc/hosts file does not contain either
    > > the IP address or this Name. If I search the Internet for
    > > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com I hit on the medialogik.com website which
    > > deals with Domain registration and Web hosting. *The ifconfig -a givesa
    > > net0 address of 192.168.1.47 *How do I remove this 72.51.27.51 addressand
    > > p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com name from the System ?

    > I'm suspicious that you may have done something silly in /etc/
    > resolv.conf

    Or someone is using DNS "views", so that the internal IP address
    reported is distinct from the external IP address reported, and your
    resolv.conf is not consistent with the DNS server you're actually
    talking to.

    Also, if one of the targets is a Windows box, Windows "System" names
    bear only a passing resemblance to anything in DNS, and are often
    quite inconsistent with it. If you are using Windows names rather than
    DNS for this, life can get nutty.

  4. Re: Mystery IP Number

    Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:

    > On 29 Feb, 11:46, Tony Lawrence wrote:
    >
    >>On Feb 29, 5:01 am, "Frank & Michelle Costa"
    >>wrote:
    >>

    >>>While trying to network a Brother Laser Printer HL-5250DN I get an IP
    >>>address of 192.168.1.42 (via DHCP) through the router. The SCO Unix 5.0.7
    >>>System IP address is 192.168.1.47 through the router. If I ping the printer
    >>>using the IP address of 192.168.1.42 it says that its the laser. But if I
    >>>ping using the printer name of laser I get an IP address of 72.51.27.51
    >>>which says its p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The same thing happens if I
    >>>ping the System. If I ping 192.168.1.47 I get the System name but if I ping
    >>>the System name I get the same IP address of 72.51.27.51 which says its
    >>>p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com. The /etc/hosts file does not contain either
    >>>the IP address or this Name. If I search the Internet for
    >>>p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com I hit on the medialogik.com website which
    >>>deals with Domain registration and Web hosting. The ifconfig -a gives a
    >>>net0 address of 192.168.1.47 How do I remove this 72.51.27.51 address and
    >>>p1-ha-hf-cluster.medialogik.com name from the System ?

    >>I'm suspicious that you may have done something silly in /etc/
    >>resolv.conf

    > Or someone is using DNS "views", so that the internal IP address
    > reported is distinct from the external IP address reported, and your
    > resolv.conf is not consistent with the DNS server you're actually
    > talking to.
    >
    > Also, if one of the targets is a Windows box, Windows "System" names
    > bear only a passing resemblance to anything in DNS, and are often
    > quite inconsistent with it. If you are using Windows names rather than
    > DNS for this, life can get nutty.

    OP also says he has a "router." So who is actually in charge of
    establishing addresses? Also it sounds as though he has a LAN
    as well as talking on a WAN, so this is probably not a unix problem
    but one of understanding what's going on.

+ Reply to Thread